Singapore 2 in BEYOND

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
CDSmoak

Singapore 2 in BEYOND

Post by CDSmoak » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi,

I am seriously considering HOD Beyond for my son for 2nd grade. But I believe he would need book 2 in Singapore Math. (If I can ever decide on a Math program.) I was wondering what the alternate schedule looks like in the appendix. Does it include the extra hands on suggestions like it does in the regular schedule pages? I think thats is the only way we could do Singapore.

Would I need the teachers manual or just the workbook?

We would be switching from Right Start Math. Which we liked the hands on part but it has become time consuming and tedious. It's his least favorite subject.

Thanks,
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 19 & 16 and boy 7
CDSmoak

Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 24 & 21 (homeschool graduates)
and boy 11 (w/LD's)
2016 - CTC
18 years homeschooling and counting

MelInKansas

Re: Singapore 2 in BEYOND

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:01 pm

The alternate schedule doesn't have additional hands-on activities included, it is simply a schedule of which pages to do each day. Often people who are in a different guide for math than they are for the rest of the subjects go ahead and buy the Teacher's Guide for HOD for the next year, and use it for math only. This would make sense only if you are sure you would continue with HOD and/or Singapore Math. Otherwise you could get the Singapore Math teacher's guide and use that to help you with additional ideas. But Carrie's activities are perfect for the homeschool environment, use readily available materials you probably have at home, and really help with the learning and retention.

I hope you figure out what math you want to use, and where your child should be.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi, CDSmoak.

We used RightStart for a time before coming to HOD. You will love Singapore and the HOD activities! You may want to move through Singapore 1a/b quickly using Beyond's activities just to bring back the *fun* of math! It definitely wouldn't be time wasted. :)

I wanted to mention that we began Singapore 2 before we finished Beyond. The next guide, Bigger, has all of those wonderful corresponding math activities for Singapore 2a/b written in the plans and so I moved forward with math-only out of Bigger. I just kept our place with a sticky note. Only the Singapore workbook is scheduled in the guide, but I am an odd ball and do use the corresponding Textbook starting in 2a mostly because I all ready have it. Most HODies use only the WB. I don't think the Textbook is a necessary component but it did help me some and it's very easy to add.
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

CDSmoak

Post by CDSmoak » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Thanks for your replies. I finally suggest just to take the plunge and start the whole kit n caboodle right now. I decided that he really needed Singapore 1B maybe, but that a quick review in 1A would probably be good for him.

Does anyone buy any of the suggested manipulative that Singapore suggest or does Carrie just substitute regular house hold items? Is there anything I need to get to be sure I'm ready to go as soon as it comes in?

Thanks for your input.
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 24 & 21 (homeschool graduates)
and boy 11 (w/LD's)
2016 - CTC
18 years homeschooling and counting

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:36 pm

You should be able to get going right away! I remember using lots of cheerios, snacks, crackers, colored paper, and at first, I think you'll need some ziplocs and liquid dish soap for the number writing. There are no special manipulatives that you have to buy. It'll all be in your panty or house somewhere! ;) I'm getting ready to start it soon for a 2nd time around. Singapore is a great choice....we are doing the K level, 3A/B, and oldest is finishing up the primary series in the coming months and moving into the Singapore middle school level. And I have another coming up behind all of them that will go through singapore as well. It's a whole lotta fun doing it with HOD activities. My oldest needed more than just the activities so the home instructor guide and textbook would have been nice for extra teaching ideas for this particular child (just for me to have more ways to show her since she needed it over and over and over in different ways...she has some struggles!), but all my boys do NOT have her same "issues" and will learn perfectly well just with Carrie's plans! They are FABULOUS!! You won't have to have more than the workbook until 3A unless you are doing 2A/B while still in Beyond and don't purchase the Bigger guide. Then you'll want the text/workbook set and Carrie has the page numbers and assignments in the appendix for both books.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling