Made up my mind

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Sophie

Made up my mind

Post by Sophie » Thu May 19, 2011 11:43 am

:mrgreen: We're going to use HOD, and I'm not going to combine my boys, even though they're less than 2 years apart. I would have to hold back my oldest too much. I'm quite nervous how this will go, as I'd be doing 2 guides(as a newbie) with a baby due at the beginning of the schoolyear :shock:

leimarie

Re: Made up my mind

Post by leimarie » Thu May 19, 2011 11:53 am

:D :D Don't worry, you're not alone. I'll be doing 3 guides during my first HoD year (and expecting a little one in September). We can encourage each other! I'm actually pretty excited (with a healthy dose of trepidation). ;)
Lisa
CreativLEI

Evan (Preparing, 5th)
Andrew (Beyond, 3rd)
Francesca (Little Hearts, 2nd)
Mikaela (K)
Nate (busy 3 yo)
Missing our Miranda (9/29-10/27/2011)

ForHisGlory

Post by ForHisGlory » Thu May 19, 2011 12:23 pm

How exciting!!! Welcome!!! We are new to HOD too. :mrgreen:

Cling tight to Philippians 4:13...I can do ALL things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :)

I've had to stop and tel myself that over and over again in different situations. God didn't promise us we can do some things, He said ALL things! :D That's fantastic news!!!

Remember, you are doing this (homeschooling) for His glory, and to further His generation to know and follow Him. :D

Hugs,
Shannon
God Bless You,

Shannon

Wife to Josh
Momma to:
Ethan, with Jesus--Lived Matthew 7:12
Evan, 12

Proverbs 3:5-6
Matthew 7:12

http://www.wallacefamilyhomeschool.blogspot.com

kwickimom

Post by kwickimom » Thu May 19, 2011 2:40 pm

I will be a newbie this Fall and I am doing 3 guides (sort of). I am doing Preparing, LHFHG half speed and LHTH. My kids are 9, 5, and 3. My 9YO wants to run DS3 through LHTH so I am going to let her do that in the afternoons while I just supervise and I will take him through it again next year myself :D

We need a newbie multiple guide support group lol

I am starting to toy around with how I will do 2 guides and so far I think I am going to "match up" the boxes in LHFHG with the Independant or Semi independant boxes in Preparing....for example...when I schedule Science in Preparing, which is independant, my kiddo in LHFHG will do phonics and Math. When my DD in Preparing is doing History project independanlty, DS3 will do Storytime....etc This way it wont feel SO much like 2 schedules (which freaks me out a little lol). I guess it is the same as block scheduling, but in my mind it tells me "Preparing-Science, LHFHG-phonics and Math." I think by tying them together it will be easier for me. Thats what I LOVE about this program...the balance of independent and teacher needed work in the upper guides :D

Now, the baby may throw a little kink into some of the plans of course. I wont have one of those around, just a 3YO terrorizing the bunch! :shock:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 19, 2011 7:19 pm

kwickimom wrote:...I am starting to toy around with how I will do 2 guides and so far I think I am going to "match up" the boxes in LHFHG with the Independant or Semi independant boxes in Preparing....for example...when I schedule Science in Preparing, which is independant, my kiddo in LHFHG will do phonics and Math. When my DD in Preparing is doing History project independanlty, DS3 will do Storytime....etc This way it wont feel SO much like 2 schedules (which freaks me out a little lol). I guess it is the same as block scheduling, but in my mind it tells me "Preparing-Science, LHFHG-phonics and Math." I think by tying them together it will be easier for me. Thats what I LOVE about this program...the balance of independent and teacher needed work in the upper guides :D ...
What an excellent idea! :D I think this makes total sense. :D Thanks for sharing this great tip!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 19, 2011 7:23 pm

ForHisGlory wrote:...Cling tight to Philippians 4:13...I can do ALL things through Christ who strengtheneth me. :)

I've had to stop and tel myself that over and over again in different situations. God didn't promise us we can do some things, He said ALL things! :D That's fantastic news!!!

Remember, you are doing this (homeschooling) for His glory, and to further His generation to know and follow Him. :D

Hugs,
Shannon
What awesome advice, Shannon! This puts it all in perspective. With the Lord at the center of learning, He radiates, taking His rightful place on His throne in our hearts, souls, minds... and within our homeschool days too. Thanks for sharing this - it's a priority that made many of us choose to homeschool in the first place - and yet it can be forgotten over time. ALL things... yes, that is fantastic news!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu May 19, 2011 7:24 pm

Sophie wrote::mrgreen: We're going to use HOD, and I'm not going to combine my boys, even though they're less than 2 years apart. I would have to hold back my oldest too much. I'm quite nervous how this will go, as I'd be doing 2 guides(as a newbie) with a baby due at the beginning of the schoolyear :shock:
Don't be nervous! This is not hard to do - really. :D We'll be hear to enjoy the journey with you! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Fri May 20, 2011 4:36 am

You may actually find using two guides is easier than using one. My children are 19 months apart and I can't imagine trying to combine them. I think you will be pleasantly surprised to see how easy it is once you find a good schedule. Allow yourself a little time to figure out the flow and a schedule that will work well.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Sophie

Post by Sophie » Fri May 20, 2011 5:10 am

Leimarie: Congratulations on your pregnancy! It's good to know I'm not alone in this :D

ForHisGlory: Thank you, that is very encouraging! It's for Him that I'm doing this, I have to keep my focus on that.

Kwickimom: Wow, you have already really thought this through.... I'll keep your advice in mind; In two years time I'll be doing three guides, and this sounds really helpful! My oldest won't be doing any work independently yet, except for handwriting, which would give me 15 minutes to spend on my little one.