Question about notebooking...

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
3girlsforus

Question about notebooking...

Post by 3girlsforus » Thu May 05, 2011 5:48 pm

Can someone explain to me how the notebooking looks in the programs without notebooking pages (specifically Preparing)? A friend of my laid out the various LA components in Preparing for me and notebooking for science and history was separate from narration, which I would expect as I see them as different skills, but I'm wondering how the notebooking is done since only the upper levels have the notebooking pages (which I am drooling over).

Thank you
Heather

holyhart

Re: Question about notebooking...

Post by holyhart » Fri May 06, 2011 5:48 am

Just bumping your post. I can't help you with PHFHG notebooking pages since I haven't gotten there yet but I thought I would mention that if you look in the weekly check-in section I bet you find some pictures of some notebooking pages in there.
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri May 06, 2011 6:02 am

I don't know about notebooking in Preparing yet, but in Bigger we just use plain white paper. The instructions tell the child exactly where to put what on the page.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed May 11, 2011 1:23 pm

Heather,

Up until CTC, the notebooking is done on white paper. :D We recommend either placing the papers in a 3-ring binder, possibly with plastic page protectors, or using a bound sketchbook instead, possibly with half lines/half plain paper. We wait to have the kiddos begin their full-colored notebooks until they are old enough, and have the artistic skills, to create a notebook that they will proud to display and add to for four years in a row. :D Prior to that time, the notebooks are a training exercise, still facilitating learning, but helping children develop and practice the skills needed to create a beautiful keepsake. :D

Blessings,
Carrire

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon May 16, 2011 10:25 am

Heather,
We used white cardstock paper last year for the "Bigger Hearts..." notebooking and really enjoyed that! We put our ds's notebooking in clear plastic sleeves in a tabbed 3 ring binder. This resulted in a neat portfolio that my ds can have of his year spent in Bigger Hearts. :D My older ds has a portfolio of each of his HOD years as well, and I snapped pics of many of his notebooking entries and shared them on the Weekly Check-In. There is also an HOD PHFHG Photobook that may be fun for you to peruse as you get ready to help your ds put together a portfolio of memories from his PHFHG year! Here is a link to that...
http://heartofdakotasphotobooks.shutterfly.com/30

HTH! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie