Need Suggestions!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Daph

Need Suggestions!

Post by Daph » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:27 am

We're about to use Bigger next year, and I need some help. What items helped make your year with Bigger fabulous (any extras, tools, etc)? What things could you not live without? I'm going to a conference in May, and I need a list! :) I know in another post for a different guide, someone suggested Miller pads and paper with lines on the bottom and room for drawing above.
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Dd 5 - Kindergarten with various things.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

blessedmomof4

Re: Need Suggestions!

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:42 pm

For Bigger I never felt "extras" were needed. As far as supplies, we used the following:
Science: a bound, unlined 9"x12" sketchbook, at least 70 sheets
History: a bound, unlined 9"x12" sketchbook, at least 40 sheets
(Some people prefer to use a binder with page protectors for Science and History-i like the sketchbook because it feels more like a keepsake to me :) )
Grammar: a composition notebook
Dictation (If using Dictation instead of the Spelling List): a composition notebook
Bible memory verses: index cards attached with a ring
Vocabulary: index cards and a file box with alphabetical dividers
Spelling (if using the Spelling List instead of Dictation): index cards with a file box
Also, I remember one Geography activity that involved making state flash cards over several units, which needed index cards. For all the index cards, I like unlined ones.
Besides that, construction paper, colored pencils/crayons, white paper, masking tape, and paints-pretty standard stuff :)
Edited to add: I'm not that creative and can't take credit for the list :) Most of these are listed in the introduction to Bigger, or within the first unit or so :)
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

Daph

Post by Daph » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:51 pm

Thank you very much! I'm sorry for making you type all that out, since it's in the book. (Oops) Oh, I can't wait to get to Miller Pads and Paper with my list. I always buy things from them, but with no purpose. LOL
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.
Happily married to a graduated homeschooler who is intelligent and socialized. ;)

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:16 pm

LOL, no problem-sometimes I feel like I should work for HOD, as I enjoy researching answers for people :wink: I recently discovered Miller too-I am eagerly awaiting some supplies from them for CtC :D
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

beverett

Post by beverett » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:34 pm

I am thinking that the miller paints and paper are for CTC. We are using both bigger and CTC, and I am sure that I ordedred them for CTC :D :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:43 pm

This is very helpful, as I will be using Bigger next year as well. Thank you for the list. What exactly do people use the Miller pads for?
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

beverett

Post by beverett » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:54 pm

They are used for painting every week in the poetry in CTC, it is soo wonderful. I always love to check it out as my son is going along the way (as he is totally independant) :D .
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:07 pm

We get our paint and construction paper from Miller Pads and Paper. Their prices and customer service cannot be beat! :D Since you are getting ready to start Bigger Hearts, maybe this past post of mine could be helpful (if not, just disregard):

Pics of Getting ready to start Bigger Hearts:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5531

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Wow, that is awesome, Julie. Thanks for posting your thread on this. This is really helpful. I will definitely be following your lead in this! Is there a way to save a thread to my personal account or something? I want to rename it and not lose it for next year! I will be doing this "double" for both of my sons.
Tina
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Tina,

At the bottom of the board there is a place that says "bookmark topic". If you click on that, the bookmark will be saved to your user control panel. You can click on the user control panel at the top of the screen and go to your user control panel to access your bookmarked topics under manage bookmarks. I don't know if you can rename it or not, but you can save it there so it is easier for you to find in the future. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks Patty!!
Tina

Daph

Post by Daph » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:09 am

my3sons wrote:We get our paint and construction paper from Miller Pads and Paper. Their prices and customer service cannot be beat! :D Since you are getting ready to start Bigger Hearts, maybe this past post of mine could be helpful (if not, just disregard):

Pics of Getting ready to start Bigger Hearts:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5531

In Christ,
Julie
That's awesome, thank you! Why do you use a composition book for Rod & Staff? Do you use the workbook with Rod & Staff? Just want to make sure I buy the right thing at the conference. :D
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:08 am

This is the THIRD time I'm trying to post this!!! I keep loosing my post. Because I have KIDS crawling all over me!!!!

Anyway, what I was trying to type........

One thing I did was to make up some science notebooking and experimenting pages as well as some history and poetry copywork pages (poetry pages are on a link in another thread). These were not needed but my dd really likes them and they do look really nice in the page protectors in her little binder (if you want to see a picture of the pages I made you can pm me and I will show you).

Also, I found songs on line that were about things we were learning in history (ex. I made up my own song about Jamestown, found one about Pilgrims, etc.) and let her use that as copywork. Gave her some of the Draw, Write Now books (these books are so great! We have used them to help draw things from One Small Square, history readings, just for fun drawing...so much. My kids LOVE them....look for those at your convention!) and she used those to help illustrate and we made them into little books which she is super proud of (I really want a binding machine...that's on my wish list!). Again, not needed, but definately fun to add to such a great program!

BIgger is so much fun! I'm sure you will love it! :D
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

Daph

Post by Daph » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:55 am

I'd love to see examples of you notebooking and experimenting pages. :) I'm a very visual learner. :D Thanks for all the great ideas. I was considering using DWN, since my daughter loves everything art. We have history songs through our other curriculum. I'm very excited that it's all on the same point in History this year.
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.

Daph

Post by Daph » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:56 am

And I know how that is! My kids see that I'm on the phone and cling to me like barnacles! It's also when they start fights are yell the loudest. :p I don't like talking on the phone, though, so I guess it's not the worst thing. lol
Dd 9 - Bigger Hearts.