Time to stop talking, and start doing!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sharonb

Time to stop talking, and start doing!

Post by sharonb » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:39 pm

Okay, just for fun I was reading through all my old posts from the last couple of years, and I'm so embarassed! I've run so many placement scenarios past y'all, and have yet to actually complete an HOD program. :oops: One good thing about time slipping by, however: my dc are getting older and don't need so much hand-holding on assignments, so I feel like I can actually handle running multiple programs. I have also learned so much about my dc from being their teacher, so I feel like it's easier to figure out placement without messing it up this time!

So, I'm ready to stop TALKING about doing HOD, and actually start DOING it! (starting in June, that is!). I can't wait till I can place an order. We are doing our taxes tomorrow and I'm hoping for a big refund and that dh will let me use a nice chunk of it for curriculum.

Just wanted to share... :D

ETA: We did our taxes and the refund is bigger than we expected. :D Unfortunately, this has dh skeptical that somehow it was done wrong (using new accountant). So, until he has his dad (who is a retired accountant) look it over, he's trying not to get excited. It was filed electronically so we'll have our refund in a couple of weeks. Hopefully by then I'll have the all-clear to place an order. I haven't talked about that with dh yet though. I need to figure out how to convince him that using HOD will be better than what I had planned!
Last edited by sharonb on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psreit

Re: Time to stop talking, and start doing!

Post by psreit » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:13 pm

sharonb,
I wondered what happened to you. We talked on PM when I was a newbie about a year ago. HOD has been wonderful for my dd and I intend to finish LHFHG and move onto Beyond, then Bigger, then Preparing, then CTC, then RTR, then Rev to Rev, and any others Carrie may put out. :lol: Good to have you back! :D
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi sharonb! Good to have you back, and when you have picked what you are doing, be sure to share :D
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:43 am

Hi Sharonb! :D Taking time to just pull up your old posts and see what they were all about was such a good idea - really one we should all do from time to time. What a good way to reflect upon things, as our words are our thoughts, and our thoughts become our actions - or not, in which case, rereading our words can force us back into action! Your words about homeschooling remind me of my words about exercising - time to stop talking and start doing again. :lol: Anyway, I think you've come to an excellent conclusion here, and I think you have some real fortitude and dedication behind those words to back them up. I am glad you are back, and I hope you do get that tax return and that new accountant is right on track because I'd love for HOD to be sitting on your doorstep tomorrow, greeting you with a big smile and begging to be opened and hoping to hop out of that box and into your dc's hearts and minds! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:45 am

Wow, Julie, you're reply is so sweet and encouraging. I suppose you haven't seen my newest post yet. :oops: As much as I would love to use HOD this coming year, dh wants to continue combining our children for content subjects using the materials I already have on hand (which are also very God-honoring, solid programs). I need to submit to him on this. I should have kept him in the loop on what I was considering, but I was doing lots of planning and thinking without asking him what he thought. As I said in my other post, using HOD in the future is still a possibility, as we plan to have our dc start working independently in middle school. But while they are all still elementary age, dh wants them learning together for science, history, Bible, etc.

Anyway, I took my own advice on "start doing" to sit down with next year's history last night and start making lesson plans. Not as open-and-go as HOD would have been, but I'm excited to get organized and make sure I'm doing my very best to feed my dc's minds AND hearts.

Thanks for all your kind words on this board. That's one of the reasons I'm sad to not be using HOD afterall; this board is wonderful.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be back in a couple of years as I think about middle school!