Which level book pack?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Mumkins

Which level book pack?

Post by Mumkins » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:31 am

We finsihed ERs several months ago. We've done about 4 books from level 2. I planned on keeping her reading over the summer and do level 3 in the fall. She's been a struggling reader. She'll be 10 late this year. She's had a huge jump in her reading lately. She's reading novels from the library and around the home. Her current book is a 4.1. I found her reading The Doll People the other day. It's a 4.1 book from 4/5 girl pack that I older own from my oldest DD. In looking at the books in 4/5, I think she'll enjoy them much more than the 2 and 3 ones. I'm wondering, if she can handle them, would it be better to go for books she's more interested in? Or if we should just keep going though 2 and 3 and get to 4/5 the following year? Or maybe abandon 2, jump into 3 for summer and do 4/5 in the fall, or whenever we reach it?
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school

Rice

Re: Which level book pack?

Post by Rice » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:06 am

One thing to consider is that DITHOR books should be below their "instructional" reading level. They should be easier than the books that stretch their reading level as you want them to be able to analyze characters, setting, plot, etc. and the other story elements rather than spending their time decoding and deciphering the meaning behind the words.

I understand wanting to push ahead. My 11yo DD just caught on to reading this year, too. We had her tested last year for LDs (came back as negative) but her reading level (age 10, finishing grade 5) was at grade 2.7! This year we dropped all LA in favour of doing Dianne Craft's Brain Training for 6 months (then added grammar, dictation, etc. back in) and, started piano lessons. She also got tubes in her ears (she was suffering from ringing in her ears for over a year) and a change in glasses prescription. I don't know what was the magic bullet (any or all of the above) or if she just needed time, but she, too, is finishing the last Level 2 book now and choosing to read her own books outside of school time as well. Yay!

I was planning for her to do Level 3 books over the summer and into the fall just for reading (using a similar to DITHOR schedule for pages/day) without actually doing DITHOR. She's using another reading program for comprehension and story elements that is more independent, since I'm running 4 guides (5 next year) and plan for her to start DITHOR again when she's done this year of that program (about 15 % into it now and will work on it through the summer). However, I'm reconsidering as I discuss it here in type, and I think I'll continue her reading (our library has a summer reading program) through the summer but save Level 3 books for her to use for DITHOR when we're ready for that - by then she'll be above that reading level instructionally (I hope :wink: ) and so they'll be a good fit for DITHOR. It is pretty easy to skip a level in the upper levels of DITHOR (for example, go from 4/5 to 6/7, skipping 5/6, or doing some books from each one) but I don't want to push her too hard right now as she's just gaining confidence (as much as I would love for her to be at grade level!).

Although enjoyment of the books is important, it would be better (IMO) to pick alternate books from the Book Idea List at the right level than to move up prematurely. I think the last thing these late readers need is discouragement in their new-found skill.

Looking forward to hearing your feed back and others' responses.
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:17 am

You're right Rice. We just pulled out book pack 3. She liked Catwings. It was ok, but we quit at the end of the first page. It's about half way through the book pack if I organize them from easiest to hardest. Granted the type was small and she didn't have her glasses. But, I think we'll just keep reading level 2 over the summer and do 3 through the next school year. That'll leave us with 4/5 for grade 5, 5/6 for grade 6 and 6/7 for 7 and 7/8 for 8. I think I read you don't do full packs in a year in the higher grades? Maybe we can do summer reading to finish packs off. I definetly don't want her reading skills to go rusty over the summer.
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:08 pm

I think the level 3 book pack is a very nice complement to the books in Preparing. That is what I did with my oldest who struggled a bit and am doing with my son next year. The books for science and history are hard enough in Preparing and really will push the kids. My dd adored so many of the level 3 book pack books. She also has enjoyed several from the 4/5 and 5/6 books as well. I am actually amazed every year and how much my kids' reading abilities grow each year. I am thankful that HOD includes such interesting and wonderful books each year for them to read because their reading level is always increasing and the books are very interesting :-) I wouldn't push it though if it were me. However, my dd did read the doll people last year even when she read the level 3 books. She loved it!
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM