Do you have trouble thinking like Singapore math?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
WigglesMom

Re: Do you have trouble thinking like Singapore math?

Post by WigglesMom » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:34 pm

Make sure it is the Home Instructor's Guide. They also sale a teacher's manual that is for classroom use. I have ordered from the Singapore site and the shipping isn't bad. I don't know how long it takes b/c I just placed my order Friday. I would probably order it myself from them to make sure I was getting the Home Instructor's Guide or have a ISBN or product number and picture for my school supply store to be sure to get the correct one.
I looked at the link and the rhyming multiplication is pricey. It looks nice, but I would probably start off trying to just learn with Singapore and if my child had trouble then I might look into buying supplements. I haven't bought anything like that for math, but for phonics I bought all the cute, fun stuff I could get my hands on that was recommended and we were getting no where fast. I wound up just using the Reading Lesson and it is working great for us. I wish I would have saved my money and started with it first.
HTH,
Val
Last edited by WigglesMom on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

dolphingirl

Post by dolphingirl » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:45 am

The Teacher's Guide is different than the Home Instructor's Guide. The Teacher's Guide is designed for teaching a large group of children in a classroom setting, while the Home Instructor's Guide is geared towards a homeschooler working with just one or two children. Hope this helps!
Kristin
Kristin

dolphingirl

Post by dolphingirl » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:47 am

Sorry for my above post! Somehow I missed that Val had already responded to you about the differences.
:D Kristin
Kristin