Preparing Hearts and Science Ideas from Apologia

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
1shortmomof4

Preparing Hearts and Science Ideas from Apologia

Post by 1shortmomof4 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:03 am

My dd who'll be in 7th, is not ready for General Science at Apologia (I'm not even ready for it) but has enjoyed working through Apologia Zoology II this year (we thought we'd give this learning style a go), so I'm thinking that I'd like to do another book from the elementary levels or even 2 to go along with Preparing. It looks like the Astronomy one looks like a good fit - what might you suggest for another option?
Heidi

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:21 am

If you were looking for just some great science books to add The Wonders of Creation Series is excellent. One is Astronomy. If you wanted some thing add to Apologia that would be a great one. My kids love these books and they are packed with the Creation and Science. 8) If money were not an issue Rainbow Science does look great. And if a neutral science that did not claim not reject God is OK for you, Real Science for Kids is very good.
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:25 am

Heidi,

I would definitely go with whichever of the Apologia Elem. Sciences looks most interesting to your son! You could either go from the perspective that you wanted to match some of the science topics in "Preparing..." (like using the the Apologia Astronomy) or go from the perspective that you'd like to hit something different than the science in "Preparing...". :D

Another option to do for a semester of science in addition to "Preparing.." (that my older son has really enjoyed) is the John Hudson Tiner science books. If your son hasn't done "Exploring Planet Earth", that would be a great one to go with "Preparing..".. Also, "Exploring the World of Chemistry" is fascinating and would go as well. We may use "Exploring the World of Medicine" in our next guide, or I would recommend that as a science option too.

Maybe some other moms will chime in with their favorites! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

6timeboymom

Post by 6timeboymom » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:41 pm

We use the science from eagle's wings, and we add to whatever the topic is with library books, web searches, etc. for my 14 year old. He's an 8th grader. I'm looking at the Real Science 4 Kids books for next year for him. :-)
Darci
mom to 6 great boys-"they've got me surrounded!!"
using: as much HOD as possible! :wink:

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:27 am

I second Eagle's Wings- Considering God's Creation-I have a copy in reserve for the future-it is recommended for grades 3-7, and looks like a pretty thorough study of natural science.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12