beyond LHFHG organization & dictation?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TammyTE

beyond LHFHG organization & dictation?

Post by TammyTE » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:39 pm

How does it look in your home?

I'm mainly concerned with the organization part of it. I'm not a naturally organized person.

In reading through the TM I see we will need a spot for spelling word/index cards, copywork, timeline. My dd will also being doing DITHOR 2/3.

So should I just have a 3ring binder with looseleaf paper for the copywork and timeline. Maybe use that for DITHOR work as well? (I don't have that guide yet. So I'm clueless.) Then a file box for the spelling cards? What else should I need?

Also - My dd is and older 8yo. I'm wondering if I could/should use some of the "copywork" time to do dictation. Instead of copying parts of the poem for the week, maybe I could have her copy the first half on day 1. Then do the first half as dictation on day 2. Copy the second half on day 3 then do the second half as dictation on day4. Then day five do the entire poem as dictation. Would that work?
~Tammy - Wife to One and Mama to Five

TammyTE

Re: beyond LHFHG organization & dictation?

Post by TammyTE » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:10 pm

Okay, I think I am partially answering my own dictation question. LOL

I see now that there are passages (beginning in Bigger) for dictation. The child continues with the same passage until it is mastered. So that wouldn't work with the weekly poem unless my dd got it perfect every single time. I was really hoping to challenge her a bit in that aspect.

Any ideas on how to accomplish that?

Should I just use some other passages? Maybe go ahead and get the Bigger guide to start those dictation passages?

creativemommy

Post by creativemommy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:28 am

I will try to help answer your organization questions just by sharing what I do for my ds who is working in Beyond this year...

For spelling words ~ I write them on 3x5 cards, putt the unit number in the top corner of the card and draw an * on the cards of the starred words in the list. During the unit, I store them right in the guide marking our place. When the unit is complete, I move the cards to a 3x5 box.

For the Bible verse ~ I write it on an index card for my ds to use throughout the unit. I keep this with the spelling word cards marking the day we're on in the guide. We store these in the back of the 3x5 card box (behind the spelling words) when we're done with each unit.

For copywork & pictures that go with it ~ my ds writes the copywork on wide-ruled paper notebook paper and draws pictures on white printer paper we can 3-hole punch when he's finished his art. We store both in a 3-ring binder.

For the timeline ~ I made a grid on banner paper and have folded it so it can be stored in the front pocket of the 3-ring binder that holds copywork.
~Beth
Used & Loved LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, & Bigger

TammyTE

Post by TammyTE » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:33 am

Thank you Beth. That is helpful!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:19 pm

I like to read through the "Introduction" and jot in the margins anything I need as far as specific materials. Then, I just add those things to my weekly shopping list. :D I also carefully read through anything from the Appendix that applies to what we're doing. I think from what you've shared (I just read your other thread on dictation), I think your dd could do Level 2 dictation from BHFHG. I responded to your other thread about that. :D HTH! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

TammyTE

Post by TammyTE » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:29 pm

Thank you!