R&S English question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
smithdonnajo

R&S English question

Post by smithdonnajo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:19 am

Do you recommend using the R&S English tests? ie, their test booklet? I will be using R&S English 3, but am curious about this same question for future levels too.

Thanks,
Donna Jo
Donna Jo

annaz

Re: R&S English question

Post by annaz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:59 pm

I'm not really a test person, so take this for what it's worth...
I'd assume that you would know what your child knows and what he/she doesn't. Save some bucks.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

deltagal

Post by deltagal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:06 pm

The tests are not part of HOD's recommendations. It definitely is a matter of personal preference. All HOD recommends are the text and teacher's manual beginning with Rod and Staff 3, with Rod and Staff 2 all you need is the text.
With Joy!
Florence

My blog: http://florencebrooks.com/

Began HOD 1/2009
Currently using: Bigger, RTR, Rev to Rev and MTMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:39 pm

I think just the teacher's manual and pupil text for R & S is more than enough. :D If I were you, I'd start with those, and if you think you'd like to add to it, I'd add it later. I think you'll find R & S is thorough - very thorough - with just the teacher's manual and pupil text. It's more grammar than I ever had in elementary, and I love grammar! :D I'd be very hesitant about adding more to HOD as it lengthens the day greatly and often means it's tougher to get the rest of the plans done. One of the things I love about HOD is the balance of it. When the balance gets off by things being added and/or detracted, it can mess with the beauty of the balance of it. I'd give it a try as it is, and then add later if your heart is leading you to do so. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:03 pm

I already had the whole set of R&S 3, including tests, before we found HOD. I've been using them as a sort of review...not so much as tests. But, we are also in Bigger w/R&S 2 planned while using 3. So we aren't messing w/the written plans when we do a "test", nor are we adding to a grammar lesson. Oddly, my dd has enjoyed them b/c I'll give her a "grade" :wink: which she likes to show off! LOL We don't have to keep grades in my state so I don't do them at all...but she thinks having an A to show to daddy is pretty cool. :D I don't think you need them however, especially at this level.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:19 pm

My dd is in R&S English 2 this year, and we have been using the tests. We do so much of the regular work orally, that it's nice to have that written record of what she has learned (we have to put together a portfolio for evaluation).

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:25 pm

We do test...but I don't allow my son to "study" before it. I use it purely to make sure he is actually learning the material as he has a near photographic short-term memory and he fools me easily unless I do it this way.
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

smithdonnajo

Post by smithdonnajo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:29 am

Thank you to all who replied!
And Thank You, Julie for your wonderful comments about being careful about adding to HOD due to time, and having a good balance!
All these comments are so helpful.
I'll try it without the tests.

Donna Jo
Donna Jo

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:52 am

Tree House Academy wrote:We do test...but I don't allow my son to "study" before it. I use it purely to make sure he is actually learning the material as he has a near photographic short-term memory and he fools me easily unless I do it this way.
That sounds kind of like my 6yo. I'm planning on using the tests with him too, once he's using R&S English. He learns things very quickly and easily, but sometimes the information doesn't stick around longterm! We are using CLE Math and I love that there are quizzes and tests in each Light Unit, because I've been able to see what he definitely knows, and what we need to work on more.