Pics of Getting Ready for Bigger Hearts

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
my3sons

Pics of Getting Ready for Bigger Hearts

Post by my3sons » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:35 pm

As I was getting things ready for starting Bigger Hearts tomorrow (and as I am stuck inside and love taking pictures), I thought, why not snap some pics of it, so anyone starting it can see how easy it is to do? This is my second time doing Bigger Hearts, so it felt like coming back to an old friend. Anyway, here goes...
First thing, I reread the "Introduction" in the Bigger Hearts guide and jotted down what I needed. I wrote on the top of some sticky notes and marked each section I wanted to in the Bigger Hearts manual. These are the headings on the stickies:
Daily Plans, Storytime, Narration Tips, Dictation, Poetry. In the day to day, I really only need to move the Daily Plans, Dictation, and Poetry notes, but I like to mark the others at the start of the year as reminders. :)

Next, I labeled composition books, one for R & S English 2 and one for Dictation. I also got a small binder to put in his index cards he copies his Bible verses on.

Then, I got a recipe box with ABC tabs and put some index cards in it for vocabulary cards.

Next, I got out my Storytime book and divided the total pages by 20, since that's how long we read it, and put a sticky note in that reminds me to read about 10 pages a day to finish within 20 days.

I got my DITHOR book choice and Student Book out next. I decided to have him read it all 15 days, so I divided the total pages by 15 and filled in the calendar for the month.

Image Image Image
I made the timeline next. Since my little guy is starting Bigger Hearts half-speed and is young, I doubled the size of it for him and made it fold out and fit in a folder. When my older ds did Bigger Hearts years ago, he did awesome with the timeline the normal size, but my middle ds is still working on his writing skills, so I'm using the same idea, just making it bigger. :D

Image Image
I put together a binder with clear plastic sleeves and tabs next. I have always done the binder and sleeves, but never done the tabs. :shock: I was at Carrie's house one day and saw her son's binder with tabs and with all the clear plastic sleeves counted out and already in there. I do NOT know why I never thought of this, but I'm so excited to do it this way from now on. My tabs were Poetry Copywork, History Notebooking, Science Notebooking, Science Experiments. I also made a folder with the "Question", "Guess", etc. for the lab written out and copied 35 times, just because my ds is again on the young side and unable to write as much as my older ds did when he did Bigger Hearts.

Finally, I put all of the things he needed now in a big blue tub, and put all of the books he'll get to later in the year in a small clear tub.

AND THAT'S ALL! This took me maybe a tad more than an hour. When I think of how LONG I used to take to prepare for school before I found HOD, I am soooooooo glad I no longer have to do that. Anyway, just thought I'd share in case it helps someone else, and my ds and I are VERY excited to begin BHFHG tomorrow! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

sharonb

Re: Pics of Getting Ready for Bigger Hearts

Post by sharonb » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Wow, what a great post, Julie! We are going to start Bigger in May or June, so I appreciate seeing how easy it is to get set up!

Thank you for sharing!!! :D

ETA: Since this thread got bumped up, I figured I'd update my response. We ended up not doing Bigger that year, but we will be using it starting in 2012 for the oldest three. So, I still appreciate this thread! :D
Last edited by sharonb on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dawntx

Post by dawntx » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Julie,
You are so good at letting us all get a glimpse of how easy HOD can be! Thanks for that- cuz I'm the kinda girl that likes to see how others do it- it's always great to get a new idea. We are finishing up unit 18 in Bigger on Wed. and have LOVED it. I think I may add a few more stickies to my tm for the narration tips (good idea) AND I really like the idea of the blue/clear tubs. How great is that? I have been on my ds for just throwing books any which way on our hs shelf when he is done for the day. :roll: It does tend to make me a little crazy so that may be just the ticket in this home! I can have everything ready for the day and he can just carry his tub to put it away when we are done. In the future, each child could have their own color tub, too!

Hope you have a fun start tomorrow- thanks for the pics and ideas!

Dawn
We have used LHFHG<BLHFHG>BHFHG>PHFHG>CTC>RTR>Rev/Rev
14ds-Rev-Rev
11ds-CTC
8dd-Bigger
5dd-LHFHG

my3good&perfectgifts

Post by my3good&perfectgifts » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:53 pm

Julie, I love to read your posts. Our boys are very close in age. It helps to have ideas from someone else that has boys the same age. I've used several of your ideas for after school activities. Thanks for sharing your family with us.

What a great idea! I will be using the storage container idea for sure. Our school stuff is in my ds closet. We have a shelf for PHFHG, and another for LHFHG. We are always going back and forth to get something. I think I will buy containers tomorrow. Then we can just carry the whole thing into the dining room. The boys won't like it though. They like to get up and act crazy if I have to leave the area to get something out of the closet. :lol:
James 1:17

Beth,
wife to Doug 20 years
mom to 4 boys,
Ds 17,14,9,3
Have enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Rev to Rev, World Geography
Starting MTMM, BLHFHG in fall 2016

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:39 am

Julie you are such an amazing organizer! :D You are making me excited about doing Bigger again. It was such a fun program. Thanks for your pictures. It really is simple but it is nice to see it all laid out like this and to know if I want to do it just like Julie did I can. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

mamayi

Post by mamayi » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:14 am

LOVE the tub idea!! Two of my dc have a hard time placing things correctly on a shelf. A tub they could do!
Also very easy to transport to a different area of the house if need be.
Thanks for sharing your great ideas!
Andrea

Kirsten

Post by Kirsten » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:12 am

Wow! Thank you for posting that. I'm still trying to decide to stay with what we are using and have to come up with all my own hands on activities or switch to HOD. This makes it look so easy!
-Kirsten
Creation to Christ 2012-2013
Aaron 11/2000
Heidi 1/2003

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:26 am

That's great! We'll do Bigger next fall, so I'm glad to see how you prepared! Makes it easy for the rest of us! I may have some questions for you once we get there, about binders and such!

Thanks!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks, ladies! You made my day! :D I'm so glad some of you found it useful. We are doing BHFHG half-speed until the end of this school year now; we will be doing DITHOR 2/3 daily as well as Storytime daily (reading the pages one day, reading and doing the Storytime box the next day). So, today we did the Left side of the plans, along with DITHOR 2/3 and Storytime (reading only today - this cuts down the # of pages to be read each day nicely for me right now).

Anyway, WHAT A BREEZE! Our first day went awesome, and my little Riley was beaming that he made the transition just fine. I cannot believe this, but even with CTC, half-speed BHFHG (first day nonetheless), and half-speed LHTH (and another toddler tantrum thrown in for good measure :lol: ), we started at 8 AM and finished by 11:30 AM. I could not be happier with HOD. Now, if I could just get my toddler and middle ds to learn to play better together... :wink: That's the next hurdle to hop. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:45 am

I'm glad to hear it went well. We are looking ahead to making that transition and your organizing post is a huge help!
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:05 pm

I have to say I love this thread! I am a visual person, and this is a great way to break down the steps for getting ready to use Bigger Hearts. :D Great idea! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

my3good&perfectgifts

Post by my3good&perfectgifts » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:54 pm

Julie, my oldest son loves the container idea for his books. He even had to show his younger brother. Today he told me, "Mom, this was a great idea." I had to be honest and tell him I got it from you. He then called me a cheater. Oh well, whatever works. :D
James 1:17

Beth,
wife to Doug 20 years
mom to 4 boys,
Ds 17,14,9,3
Have enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Rev to Rev, World Geography
Starting MTMM, BLHFHG in fall 2016

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:54 am

Beth - that's great to hear! I'm so glad he liked it! :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

dawntx

Post by dawntx » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Hey, Juli or anyone else... Silly Question -- Where did you get your blue tub? I looked at walmart only to find clear (I would like colors :) ) and they were either too big or laundry baskets and I'd rather not have that. I know, I feel a little silly even asking- :oops: Oh, well. I would love not to drive all over town to find tubs if you could help- it would save time and gas! :lol:
Dawn
We have used LHFHG<BLHFHG>BHFHG>PHFHG>CTC>RTR>Rev/Rev
14ds-Rev-Rev
11ds-CTC
8dd-Bigger
5dd-LHFHG

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:50 pm

Hey Dawn - that is not a silly question! :D I actually did get them at Walmart, but it was a very long time ago. When I did a search for them just now, they don't come up anymore. :? I will say that the hard plastic cube has been great because it is sturdy, holds over-sized books, holds a LOT of books, has built-in handles and still fits in a cupboard on a shelf easily. If you can find any hard plastic cube like that, you'd be set! :D Sorry I can't help more!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie