Used Happy Phonics or Sing, Spell, Read, & Write w/ HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
AboveRubiesMama

Used Happy Phonics or Sing, Spell, Read, & Write w/ HOD?

Post by AboveRubiesMama » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:42 am

This is a question for my SN son. I'm excited to see that the LHTH will give him those basics of ABC's. I don't see him being able to go into formal phonics quite yet, but I'd like to give him some exposure to something extra, to see how he does.

My mother has been a teacher for years upon years and taught the LD classes for Reading and Math. She highly suggests I look into SSRW for his phonics, but she also said this may be something to start in 1st grade, giving him that extra year of reinforcement. I have NO idea how long the lessons take though.

I also found Happy Phonics and thought about using that with him for his K year, as it seems to be more game-like and not a too formal phonics program.

My dd used CLE's Learning to Read and while it's been great for HER, it's going to move WAY too quickly for ds.

I'm so excited about HOD and am so looking forward to those "bite size" sections and don't want to shoot myself in the foot by then adding on a program which'll take an hour a day for phonics, ya know?
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. ~Proverbs 31:10

mamaloves4

Re: Used Happy Phonics or Sing, Spell, Read, & Write w/ HOD?

Post by mamaloves4 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:52 pm

hi,

I am new to this message board and to HOD, but I love what I see. I have used SSRW with my oldest daughter and it worked great for her, but I do remember it being time intensive. I started it this year with my first grader (daughter #2) and found I just didn't have the time needed for it. I switched to The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading and we both love it. The lessons are short and to the point with basic games tossed in there for fun. It can be totally mama directed, meaning moving at your child's pace. I hope this helps and that you have fun making your decision!

Mamaloves4
Jessica
married for 12 years to Chuck
dd10--Creation to Christ
dd7--Beyond
ds4--LHTH
dd2--filling our days with joy and LHTH fingerplays and stories

Happymom

Post by Happymom » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Hi,
I have used Happy Phonics in the past as a supplement. I bought it for that purpose and it has filled in our gaps well. It is fun but, (JMO here :wink: ) I really think that it needs the follow up of a workbook such as Explode The Code (which is what the author suggests :D ) All of my dc have enjoyed the games to reinforce their phonics. Don't know if that's a help but it's my 2 cents for the day :D
God Bless,
Amy

AboveRubiesMama

Post by AboveRubiesMama » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:28 pm

Happymom wrote:Hi,
I have used Happy Phonics in the past as a supplement. I bought it for that purpose and it has filled in our gaps well. It is fun but, (JMO here :wink: ) I really think that it needs the follow up of a workbook such as Explode The Code (which is what the author suggests :D ) All of my dc have enjoyed the games to reinforce their phonics. Don't know if that's a help but it's my 2 cents for the day :D
God Bless,
Amy
Just to clarify, do you think it needs the ETC books to be used as a supplement or will the ETC books make it a complete program?
Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. ~Proverbs 31:10

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:50 pm

This is a little pricey, but if your son can use the computer okay, what about Headsprout? The website is www. headsprout.com. It is an online reading program. I got it half price on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op. I really have been pleased. My dd is fairly advanced and we have used it to firm up her reading, but I definitely think it could be used for special needs children as well. It starts out slowly, and it adjusts for each student's responses. They let you try the first 3 lessons free, and then they have a 30 day money back guarantee. I don't know if the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op is going to do another discount on Headsprout, but you could always check. We've really enjoyed it. My dd has ADHD and sensory issues, and for the most part she's been able to stay focused. Also, Headsprout teaches new things just a little at a time. It might be worth checking out.

Also, I know that a lot of people with special needs kiddos have had good luck with The Reading Lesson, which HOD sells. I've never used it, but that might be worth a try too.
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:58 am

You could look into Phonics Pathways at www.dorbooks.com (I think that's right). It is easy to teach, short and to the point...and most importantly, effective! It has exercises aimed at preventing and/or imporving problems many LD children face when learning to read. I also purchased the Reading Pathways book that provides extra reinforment in a fun way, and its very easy and short as well. It can be taken at any pace to suits your child. We love it!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

dolphingirl

Post by dolphingirl » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:25 pm

We are using Happy Phonics and Explode the Code books along with LHFHG for my son's K year. It's very easy to tailor both of them to the amount of time we have available that day. My son especially loves Happy Phonics!! I love teaching him with it too.
Kristin

Lori_in_Austin

Post by Lori_in_Austin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi,
I use Explode the Code (ETC) with LHFHG and love it. Last month, I purchased the Happy Phonics to use as a supplement, but have not started using it yet. I used ETC Primers A,B,& C when my ds was 4.5yo and it was perfect for him. He is now almost 5.5. ETC also had the perfect amount of handwriting blended in for him (so no other handwriting book would be needed with the Primers).

I had thought when we started the ETC primers that maybe I should have started with Book 1 instead, because I thought he might be "passed" the primer levels, but the Primers were perfect. Even if he actually knew the letter and the sound, ETC was really more than that... I got so "into" ETC that I did lots of the extra oral activities and games that are in the Teacher's Guide and the Wall Pocket Activity Booklet.

We took a little break from ETC when we finished the Primers before starting Book 1. When we started LHFHG in Sept, I chose "The Reading Lesson" and it has been very compatible to use along side ETC, but we probably go at a slower pace than most people because I do not want to overload him with too much. I kind of believe that since my ds is just 5, I should not be too much in a hurry even though it is hard for me to resist going faster.

All this to say, both my ds and I have loved ETC and it is definitely one of my top picks. I think it is very easy to use and compatible with any learning-to-read program. I also have LOVED The Reading Lesson (TRL) and never would have even considered it or known about it if HOD had not had it as an option. I believe ETC is a great add-on to LHFHG though NOT necessary. I think ETC Primers would be fabulous to use with LHTH, especially for a 4 or 5 year old. As a matter of fact, I have already purchased LHTH to use when my other son turns 3yo and he will also use ETC Primers when he is ready.

Hope this helps. There are a lot of good resources out there so it is hard to pick just one. I tend to go for the "plainer" looking ones, because I believe my son needs things that are not full of graphics or bright colors and that have as little as possible on each page. He gets overwhelmed with a "busy" page. The Reading Lesson and ETC meets this need.

I feel I should also say we have LOVED LHFHG and have been blessed so much. I just love the left side of the Day and the Dover Classics read-alouds !

God Bless you and yours.
Lori in Austin, TX
wife to dh "Joe"
mom to two boys:
ds-5 - LHFHG using: The Reading Lesson, Explode the Code Phonics, Right Start Math.
ds-2.5 -
soon to start LHTH with Before FIAR