Dictation

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Hope

Dictation

Post by Hope » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:38 pm

Hello Ladies,

When you reach the longer dictations, do you continue reading one sentence at a time, or do you increase the reading to 2,3,or more sentences at once?

I’ve continued reading one sentence at a time for my children to write as the dictations have lengthened, but I wondered today if I should be reading multiple sentences at once.

How do you implement longer dictations?

Thank you! :D

StephanieU

Re: Dictation

Post by StephanieU » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:49 pm

I have gone to one line at a time. I didn't like doing sentences because my daughter one when to place a period. Reading a line makes her determine where a sentence begins and ends. I tried to do while passages, and she would make small mistakes, like changing a word or two that didn't change the meaning of the passage. It was getting frustrating, and I didn't think it was benefiting her in any way.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:43 pm

I've always tried to do a sentence at a time, as per CM recommendations, stretching their memory, but as we got into higher levels, that was sometimes too difficult, even for my advanced kiddo, so I sometimes went down to just a phrase or two (especially if needing a second, third or fourth day for that passage!).

I have never done more than one sentence at a time, as I've never read that was a CM recommendation. If the sentences happen to be short, that is a bonus. :wink:

I think the idea of switching it up so the ends of sentences aren't so obvious is intriguing, but have never done that myself, nor read that that was recommended by those "in the know" of CM methods. This is one subject that's fairly easy to follow her guidelines.

FWIW, I had my first guy (14yo, not the oldest) finish Level 8 today! I have one that is DONE narration! Woo hoo! :D
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Hope

Post by Hope » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:07 am

Thank you ladies for your replies! :D

Congratulations Rice for your 14 year old finishing level 8! :D

I hadn’t read up on dictation in a few years, and I had forgotten that one sentence at a time is the goal and that phrases are also perfectly fine.

Prior to posting this question, I tried to find some past threads, but I was only finding reasons to use dictation for spelling. After posting , I did find an old thread that said exactly what you both are saying. It talked about CM stating one sentence at a time, and Carrie recommending phrases with one sentence as a goal.

I will just keep doing what we are doing then.

Thank you for the replies and the reminders.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:58 pm

Hope,

The ladies did a great job of answering you! I am so glad you were able to search the board to find helpful responses as well. :D

Rice,

Congratulations to you and your son for finishing the last level of dictation passages. I know that is a huge high note for both mom and child when it occurs at our house too! 8)

Blessings,
Carrie