WG literature questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Robbi

WG literature questions

Post by Robbi » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:50 pm

My daughter wants to do most of the boy set for the literature in the WG guide. I had her read the descriptions of each book, not telling her which were in boy or girl sets. She chose mostly from the boy set. She is an adventure/fantasy type girl. Not ready for any romance type things!! So my question is, would it be ok for her to do the boy set? We do have 3 boys coming along behind her so another question, Are they supposed to annotate in these books? Thanks.
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing
We have now used all the guides!

manyblessings

Re: WG literature questions

Post by manyblessings » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:33 pm

I haven't done this guide yet, but I don't think it would make a difference to use the boy's set. I've read several of those myself, and I'm not a boy :)
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 am

Well, I certainly agree with you as far as reading them. I guess what I was really wondering is if in the guide when it talked about those books if it had questions more for boys.
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing

manyblessings

Post by manyblessings » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Oh, I see-that makes your concern clearer. Hopefully someone who has used/is using the guide can shed light on that for you!
Lourdes
Happily married since 2009
Mom of 4 adults and 1 homeschooler
Used Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RevtoRev

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:17 am

Robbi,
In the WG plans for reading literature it doesn't matter if you choose the boy or girl literature. The student reads the assigned pages and completes a follow up activity. The activities include orally narrating, writing in the Common Place Book, or completing written narration. Also, there are no specific questions to answer. The WG guide has the reading assignment, with occasional notes to be aware of like language, kissing, etc., and the follow up activity. There are so many good books to read it's hard to choose.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Thanks so much!!!! She said she's read Little Women already but I think it was an abridged copy for young kids. She wants to read Treasure Island but not Ragged Dick. LOL. At some point I'm just going to have to pick for her and she can read the rest on her own! Thankfully she loves to read so it's not a problem for her!! Thanks again!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:21 pm

You can use either the boy or the girl set! You can also SUB in a book form one of the other sets if she prefers. We've done WG twice with the boy set, and I can see why she likes it. I'm somewhat of a tomboy myself, and I loved Shane! Read it from cover to cover one long night editing for Carrie. LOVED it! I'd let her choose what she likes! Either way she will get the skills she needs with the follow-ups!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Robbi

Post by Robbi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:50 pm

Thanks Julie! I think we are just going to get all of them & then decide as we go. We have a couple so after subbing it won't be much more. She's finishing unit 31 of mtmm right now so we'll be ordering soon!
Robbi
DD 19 Graduated from HOD
DS 15 USI & II combo
DS 10 RTR
DS 8 Preparing

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Robbi wrote:Thanks Julie! I think we are just going to get all of them & then decide as we go. We have a couple so after subbing it won't be much more. She's finishing unit 31 of mtmm right now so we'll be ordering soon!
That sounds like a good idea! I actually got all of them too, and our sons read some of the girl interest books in the summer just for fun. I read some of them myself! A favorite of mine was A Lantern in Her Hand. LOVED that book! Anyway, by getting both sets, you can give your daughter a choice! I hope you both enjoy it as much as we did!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

jellybeanmum

Post by jellybeanmum » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:58 am

This made me chuckle, because there were a few titles in the girl's section my boy wanted to do, so we just swapped things around. ;)

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:23 am

Just adding in that Ragged Dick was such a good book! I ended up reading it aloud on a family road trip, as my son didn't think he'd have time for this title. I never want them to miss a book, because they're all so good. Even my younger kids were begging for "one more chapter." The whole family loved the book! :)
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:27 pm

momtofive wrote:Just adding in that Ragged Dick was such a good book! I ended up reading it aloud on a family road trip, as my son didn't think he'd have time for this title. I never want them to miss a book, because they're all so good. Even my younger kids were begging for "one more chapter." The whole family loved the book! :)
Ragged Dick was one of Wyatt's favorites too! Glad you and your family enjoyed it!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:29 pm

jellybeanmum wrote:This made me chuckle, because there were a few titles in the girl's section my boy wanted to do, so we just swapped things around. ;)
I loved Shane! Go figure! I was helping Carrie as she was writing the guides with page numbers, editing, etc., and once I read a few pages here and there in Shane, I read it cover to cover! I suppose I'm somewhat of a tomboy being a country gal at heart. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie