What to do for upcoming 9th grader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Music Mom

What to do for upcoming 9th grader

Post by Music Mom » Wed May 20, 2015 4:00 pm

My daughter is 14, and will be a freshman this fall. I am leaving Sonlight, and am at the moment waffling between Heart of Dakota and Epi Kardia. Epi Kardia is a unit study program, and would require a lot of planning and other work on my part. I have actually already done quite a bit of planning, but am seriously reconsidering due to how much more it will require. HOD of course has done all that for me and that is very attractive, so I am leaning more and more towards HOD. However, I am trying to decide between Missions and Modern Marvels and World Geography. I am leaning towards Geography, but my daughter says she is leaning towards MMV. I am not sure if it is because it has a shorter time requirement or she just likes the materials better after looking through both programs with me.

Is there any reason she couldn't do MMV? She is a voracious reader and keeps the local library in business, has a tremendous vocabulary, has never had formal spelling because it has not been necessary, is extremely strong in creative writing, loves science - especially medical science, enjoys history but has not been too keen on geography, has not had much formal essay writing and will not be doing a research paper in 9th grade regardless. Right now she is using Rod & Staff English level 5, but I anticipate no problem moving her to level 7 (which we already have because my son was using it), and I am planning to have her work on essays this coming year.

My main concern with placement is that if she does not do WG now she will end up missing it or missing something else later. I know the sequence is WG, WH, AH/Govt, AH/Eco. How would all that be worked in if she did MMV now? Is it possible to work enough Geography in that she could earn a half credit in Geo while doing MMV?

The main thing I am working on right now is placing her in history/social studies. We are using Life of Fred for math, and we can choose her science later. I appreciate any insight you all can give me. Thank you. :-)

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: What to do for upcoming 9th grader

Post by Carrie » Fri May 22, 2015 11:13 am

Music Mom,

Welcome to the HOD Board! We're glad to have you here! :D Thanks so much for sharing about your daughter.

As you think through your options for your daughter, I would encourage you to set aside the topic of history (and even the books that are within each program) for now. Instead, focus on comparing the two sets of placement charts linked below for MTMM and the World Geography Guide. Spend most of your time comparing the first page of each of the charts to see where your daughter truly fits best skill-wise. This is because the skills needed to complete a guide will impact how well a guide fits a particular student. So, if a student does not have the needed skills to complete the guide, the guide will draw out longer daily and feel less interesting and more overwhelming, simply due to a forced fit skill-wise. We desire for your daughter to be well-placed so that she can soar within the daily plans and be engaged and ready to meet the challenges within the guide she uses. :D

Link to Missions to Modern Marvels chart: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php
Link to World Geography chart: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-yo ... school.php

Once you've had a chance to go through the first page of each chart, pop back and share your thoughts as to where your daughter places in the various categories. Then, we can give better advice as to how best to proceed. It would also help us to know how independent she has been with her studies, how well she reads and follows lengthy written directions, how much writing she is used to do daily within her various school subjects, and how long of a school day she is used to having. :D

We look forward to helping you talk through possible options.

Blessings,
Carrie

Music Mom

Post by Music Mom » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:55 pm

HI Carrie,

Thank you so much for your response. I have looked multiple times at the pages you linked, and I have gone over and over the catalogue pages. I asked my daughter to read the catalogue pages for both programs. She said she would rather do Missions to Modern Marvels. I think that is going to be the better fit after careful consideration.

So, here is where she fits in the skills:

Reading/Literature - we have never done formal reading/literature activities. What we have done is read. A lot. My daughter and I read many of the same books, and we love to talk about them. We discuss characters, character development, writing styles and techniques, plot lines, and other things. We also like to read a book, watch the movie, and compare the two.

I love poetry, and we read it just because. We have never really formally studied poetry though. We talk about our impressions, form, rhyme scheme, meter, and lots of other things because they are simply a part of enjoying poetry. Right now we are preparing to present a poetry program for our library’s Summer Reading Program, and we are reading a lot of fun poets, such as Shel Silverstein. My daughter had one of his books last night and was reading aloud to me while I finished up some work on the computer.

Writing/Literature - We have not done a lot of formal writing assignments either. My daughter does write - constantly. When she is not at the computer she carries a notebook and writes notes and other things down for when she can get back to the computer. She has just finished a rather extensive book that she has been working on for over a year. She also writes quite a bit of poetry, as well as a lot of “new” lyrics or parody lyrics for songs. Again, we have never done this formally; it’s just something we do.

We are members of ClubPonyPals.com and she belongs to the writing clubs on their forums. She also frequently enters the monthly story and poem contests and has had multiple entries published in the Pony Pals magazine. This all started about five years ago when I modified a Sonlight assignment. I was supposed to give her three pictures from either books or magazines, and have her choose one to write a story about. Instead, since we had just joined Club Pony Pals I chose three paintings from the CPP site (members earn W-bucks and use them to buy virtual things for their cabins) and had her choose one of those to write about. She entered the story contest with it. I think she may have won, but it has been so long I don’t remember.

The writing club members challenge and encourage each other, and are always coming up with ideas for writing. Recently a member suggested that they pick a word and have everyone write a story containing that word. The results have been impressive. There are also role-playing clubs, which my daughter participates in.

While she excels at creative writing, she does not care for pedantic writing. Since I have not given her a lot of formal writing assignments, she has not had to do a lot of this. She does do some of the writing assignments in Rod & Staff, but I don’t ask her to do all of them. When writing something “serious”, she usually manages to insert a creative twist in it.

English - We have done some formal grammar study, but not a lot. We have Rod & Staff 5, which we have used some, so she has had exposure to rudimentary diagraming, and we have studied the parts of speech, though not intensively. She has never had formal spelling instruction as it was not necessary. Her grammar is excellent and her writing reflects that. She has no problem with grammar, usage, capitalization, or punctuation. She rarely asks how to spell something. If she doesn’t know she either looks it up or figures it out. Her writing is quite clear and organized, and she is constantly working to make it better.

She has done only a very little outlining, in R&S, and that was under protest. :-) She recently finished writing an extensive book which she did not outline first. She has never done a report from an outline. In fact, she has not really done reports. She is a member of LitPick, and has several book reviews published on the site. She is adept at using reference materials, but has had no instruction in note-taking. She has written thank-you notes since before she could write (she dictated and I transcribed), and I still have her write thank-you notes if someone does something for her. She has not, however, written many letters.

Math - We will be using our own math program - Life of Fred - and she is where she is, so I don’t think this will have any bearing on which HOD program we choose.

Bible - We tried the Alpha Omega Lifepac and she was bored to tears with it. She normally enjoys workbooks and writing, but she did not like this at all. We finally just stopped. She has her own Geneva Bible and reads it on her own. We talk as a family about things we read or how Scripture applies to different situations. She has not done a lot of memorization, and that is something we are going to approach as a family. We sing hymns at church, and she is my page turner when I accompany the choir. We do some hymn singing at home, but it is not formal. It is like most things, just part of life, and we just “do it”.

History - My daughter has kept notebooks before, simply by putting all her completed work in it as she finishes. She does not like oral work, and really dislikes oral narrations. We have done quite a bit of presentation work, simply because it is fun, and she is really okay with doing it just for the family. But she will not “perform” in front of other people; I do not require her to. She is an excellent reader, adding voices and characterizations, and masterfully using nuance and expression. She speaks clearly and distinctly, and the only thing she really needs to work on is slowing down a bit. (She gets that from her mother!)

She loves to write and said she would be fine with doing written narrations. Whenever she has been assigned copywork she has done it quickly and well. She has done some map work, but not a lot. While my son had no formal geography study because he did it extensively on his own (to the tune of a full high school credit) my daughter will need guidance and instruction because it is simply not as interesting to her as other things. We are studying state history right now, and she cheerfully completes her map assignments. But if she were choosing something to do for fun, map assignments would not make the list.

She loves museums, and has no difficulty discussing the things she sees. She is able to describe items in detail and relate them to each other within the historical context.

She typically will complete an assignment speedily and move on. Sometimes, if she really doesn’t like something, she will drag and either not do it or not finish it. She will finish it with prompting and monitoring. I’m sure this is pretty normal. While I know that no one will like everything and that she will probably have some assignments she doesn’t like, I believe in her ability to tackle tasks and complete them.

A couple of years ago we studied the Eastern Hemisphere with Sonlight. While we did not do a lot of the assignments, we did do a lot of the reading. I searched for and checked out myriad extra books to complement our studies. She enjoyed all the books and the discussions that ensued, and she enjoyed learning about areas and people we did not know much about.

She enjoys history, and chooses various topics to read about. She has started her own collection of WWII books, including biographies and non-fiction. She has really not read books on a schedule, since she will read what she wants when she wants. Whenever we have done Sonlight she has gone through her readers in a matter of weeks, and then I spend the rest of the time scouring the library catalogue for more books. We never did the read-alouds or history readings “on schedule” either. We just read until we had to stop. After the first few weeks, we were all over the place in the schedule, and language arts assignments never lined up, which is probably one reason we just made our own.

SO -

As I read what I have written, I am reminded again that we have not done a lot of formal study. I wrote my own curriculum for years, because I enjoy doing it, and because I could follow my children’s interests and let them learn about a topic when their interest was high. We used My Father’s World Adventures when my daughter was in “first” grade. She was supposed to do the MFW first grade program, but begged to do Adventures with her older brother. So, I let her. I modified writing assignments for her. I gave her the choice to not do it, dictate it to, dictate then copy, write it herself and let me help her with spelling. At some point during the year I think she used all the options, though I believe she only used the first option once if at all. We still did some of the first grade program but we didn’t finish and it didn’t hurt her any. We have used Sonlight off and on because we love all the books, and sometimes I need to take a break from so much research and planning. I have always figured that writing was important, but not so much what she was writing. So if I could give her something to write about that she enjoyed it was fine.

At this time, I am ready to have a curriculum already laid out for us. I know there will be areas where she will just keep moving on her own and all I will have to do is make sure I document what she does. But in other areas I know we will need guidance and a plan. The HOD catalogue gives SO much information, including book description, and it looks like it will be a really good fit. I love the way the lesson plans are presented; I gravitate towards “boxes” as they are easy to see and focus on. I think that my daughter will be able to regulate herself with these plans, and I think the content is going to be something she will enjoy and get a lot out of.

I don’t think I mentioned that she is an artist. She had a cartoon series that ran in the Pony Pals Magazine for well over a year. She has taken a break from it for the time being as she has concentrated more and more on her book (which she finished last week). She draws and is getting into painting, right now with acrylics. She works with clay and Model Magic, and recently made a beautiful little figurine of my Welsh mule, which she gave to me for my birthday. She draws on EVERYTHING, including every assignment paper she has ever turned in. She can’t help it.

Most of her time is divided between reading, writing, drawing/painting, and some work outside such as weeding, caring for the chickens, etc. She square dances twice a week most weeks, so her PE is taken care of.

I think the fact that so much of her education has been informal, just a part of life, is a big factor. She is not used to having specific assignments every day, day in and day out. She is used to reading, discussing, writing, and applying, but not to sitting at a desk and just following an assignment list. She is also not used to confining “learning” to a particular time each day, and she does “stuff” all the time, day and night.

Thank you for encouraging me to think about all these areas, both as a review and in relation to the MMV and Geography programs. It has really helped me to see where we are. I honestly think she COULD handle either program, but I think that she probably SHOULD go with Missions to Modern Marvels. How will this affect her high school courses? I look forward to your opinion, since you know your programs. Thank you for going over this with me, and helping me to find the right placement.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:07 pm

Thank you so much for sharing about your dd, and she sounds like a precious dd, very creatively bent! :D From what you've shared, I'd be inclined to do Revival to Revolution for her 9th grade year. This is a wonderful guide that she would certainly enjoy! I think this would fit her well because it would give her time to work into the increased writing, LA, and independent work assigned. It would also have her beginning with Creative Writing, as well as the Classical Music study, which would appeal to her creative side. This is a meaty guide, and she could do extensions for history as she is a solid reader, as well as do the Advanced EE for credit. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Music Mom

Post by Music Mom » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:40 pm

Thank you for your reply, Julie,

I appreciate your input; thanks for taking the time to respond. My daughter writes constantly, both prose and poetry. She just finished a book she has spent more than a year on, and she is a member of several writing clubs on ClubPonyPals.com. Right now we are finishing up planning a poetry program for our library's Summer Reading Program. She is solid on creative writing. We just need to work a bit on the more "bland" forms of writing. :D

I had not considered the program you recommended due to my daughter's age and ability. After looking at the levels, MMV and WG are the programs I am considering. We could, of course, continue to unschool, which amounts to a lot of prep work, planning, and resource gathering on my part. I am also still considering Epi Kardia, though I could really use a break from planning for a while. I don't think my daughter HAS to have a curriculum to follow, but I think I would like her to have the experience of doing so.

Thank you again for your reply.

Music Mom

Post by Music Mom » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Carrie, I know you are busy, but I look forward to your reply when you have a moment. Thanks!

Music Mom

Post by Music Mom » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi Carrie,

Thank you for encouraging me to think through my daughter's skills and abilities. I am still thinking about how they might mesh with the two programs I am considering. I don't know the programs though, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you have a few moments. Thanks!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Music Mom,

Thanks so much for taking time to type out such a great summary of your daughter's education. :D It sounds like she has definitely enjoyed an interest-led education, which is an important part of any child's education. As you consider HOD, I think you will find that it is quite different in many ways from the educational path your daughter has had up to this point. While you have shared that you are looking for a change, it is good to consider if HOD will be the fit that you are seeking for your daughter. The reason I mention this is that if you skip or modify too many things within any HOD guide, you will quickly lose the careful balance of skills that is woven within each guide. At that point, HOD can end up being purely a reading program and losing much of the fullness that makes the guide so rich!

In looking a placement within HOD, and thinking through the placement chart in each of the areas that you shared, I would be inclined to place your daughter in Revival to Revolution for the upcoming year. Much of this placement has to do with the big adjustment that will come along with having a very scheduled day with a wide range of assignments that need to be consistently completed and are different from what she has been used to completing in the past. Skill-level is the other part of placement, and in looking at the skills you've shared thus far that we use to help with placment (i.e. working through the first part of Rod and Staff 5 off and on and have had some basic diagramming practice, new to essay and more formal types of writing - but a lover of creative writing - not a fan of oral narration and not a lot of practice doing longer oral narration work - but probably will be able to write written narrations when asked due to her knack for writing - new to written analysis of literature and formal literature work - but have had informal conversations about literary devices and read widely - new to structured history or science study with scheduled daily readings and regular written followups - including primary source document work, research skills, extensive map work, written analysis, lab reports - math not a forte but moving at her own pace) lead me to think that Revival to Revolution might be a good fit. :D

Revival to Revolution is a 4 day plan, meaning that we are integrating 5 days of school into 4 days. The days will be quite full and include daily grammar lessons, all of which we are assuming are being completed as many skills are taught within the lessons that the students will need, along with writing and orally narrating across the curriculum. Primary source documents and Socratic discussions are a weekly part of the guide, as well as training in how to complete assignments on time and within the guidelines outlined within the guides. Drawn into the Heart of Reading is also a part of the plans with formal literary discussions and assignments that include digging deeper into literary analysis. You could choose any books that you desire for use with DITHR to suit your daughter's interests.:D

Within Revival to Revolution, your daughter could do the Advanced Education Exploration Physical Science for high school credit as that is the intention for the EE Advanced Version. Using EE Advanced along with the inventor study is a terrific way to study physical science. The Inventor Study should appeal to your daughter's appetite for reading. The Exciting World of Creative Writing would definitely appeal to her, as part of Rev2Rev, and this would help balance out the scheduled Rod and Staff lessons and DITHR lessons. Studied dictation would be worth doing in Rev2Rev, even if she is an excellent speller, as it contains many skills beyond spelling. :D There is much to love in Revival to Revolution as it is a very full guide. I know this wasn't an option you were considering, so I can appreciate it may take some time to fully ponder this new option.

High school comes with an entirely different set of expectations, especially as credits are needing to be earned. This is often an adjustment period for all of us in terms of work load and expectations. :D Much of high school is life training as well in that kiddos need to be able to complete what they are assigned within the daily time frame and within the outlined guidelines. If we tried to place your daughter in MTMM or World Geography, I think it would result in a longer formal school day than she or you desire and a set of daily expectations that she would be better prepared for if she stair-stepped up to them through using Revival to Revolution instead. Placement in Revival to Revolution would leave her with more time to pursue her own interests as well. I definitely desire for your daughter's school to be manageable, yet fulfilling, and also be more closely comparable to what she is used to doing so that she can complete what is expected of her without feeling like she has no free time left.

In pondering placement, I would try to look at the HOD guides with an eye toward having your daughter complete each day as close to the way it is written as possible. While this may feel confining at first, I think you will be amazed by the year end as to how much progress your daughter has made in all skill areas. I also think you will be excited by what she has learned and by how many areas she has grown in with consistent progress. :D

Of course you are the parent and should you choose to drop or modify assignments or place your daughter in a different guide that is definitely up to you. It is possible that MTMM could be a fit as well. It would just result in a longer day with more formal expectations. From experience, I know that the guides work best when used as closely to the way they are written as possible so that is what I am aiming for as we talk. I do realize that HOD is not for every family and that different families have differing goals. It is good to consider that your daughter's plans post high school plans will affect these goals. While it seems early to be considering such things, it does make a difference on what kind of high school preparation she will need should she desire to head to college.

I wish you the Lord's peace in your decisions for high school, and I pray that He will show you what He desires for you and your family. :D Should you decide to use HOD, we would be glad to help you in discussing how to use what you choose to make a high school plan. If it is helpful as you ponder, we could discuss how to use Rev2Rev for high school, followed by MTMM, World Geography, and World History for her remaining high school years. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Music Mom

Post by Music Mom » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Carrie,

Thank you for taking the time to go over this with me. I will take a really good look at the program you recommended, and download the samples so I can really study them.

gratitude

Post by gratitude » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:58 am

I hesitate to post on this thread with an oldest going into 6th grade this fall. Yet, this thread has been on my heart for some time. Perhaps it is my own experience of being placed on this board too low for my children. Perhaps we fall into Carrie's comment that HOD is not right for every family. Both aspects probably are true to a degree. I think though in reading through the thread I found the placement confusing. So in the end I have decided to add a few comments that are questions of sorts, but these questions are ones I don't expect answers to.

On the placement chart it says that age should be considered first. Obviously learning disabilities would change that criteria. Music Mom's detailed description of her dd doesn't give me any indication though that she is below grade level. If anything, in some areas, she sounds at or quite beyond grade level. Thus, when I read this thread it mystified me why a 14 year old freshman was being placed into a 7th grade program with her abilities. Age 14, the top criteria on the placement chart that is to come above all others as stated at the top of the chart, would be MTMM, WG, or WH. Music Mom indicated after looking at the placement chart that she thought her dd would place well into MTMM. Why drop her down a level when mom looking at the chart usually has a 'sense' about where to place children?

The second consideration on the chart is writing or literature. It is discussed that dd has not had formal literature study. The elements Music Mom lists though for the literature study she has had are even more then we did in DITHOR. So again I am confused of why she is being placed low when those elements were brought into the discussions by mom.

Lastly, if I was in Music Mom's shoes I would walk away from this thread discouraged. Is discouragement what any home school mom needs? I always think the best thing any home school board can do is lift up and encourage one another so that in the Lord's strength we can do the very challenging task laid before us.

My children, by this board, have now been placed low three times. The first two times I dropped the TM after 5 weeks, used the books, and forgot about the financial loss. My DH though is working very hard to support a family of six in a very high cost living metropolitan area. I don't take lightly spending what he earns. The third time I started to place my children myself last summer / early fall. I came up with Rev2Rev for my 5th grader and Preparing for my 2nd and 3rd graders. I didn't trust my own judgement and followed the board's advice. They were placed in CTC or RTR, Preparing, and Beyond. So I purchased CTC, Preparing, and Beyond. This time I wanted to go forward with it no matter what our response was. I did CTC as written. I did the first 5 weeks of Preparing as written. I started Beyond as written, and then ended up adding quite a bit to it. I couldn't run three guides and it was easier to drop the 3rd grader into Beyond and add quite a bit to it then raise the 2nd to Preparing. He was doing great in Preparing, but I decided I needed to keep them together. In hind sight it was a good move for this year's curriculum. Beyond was much too easy for my 2nd grader. They did enjoy the history though and with what I added in history and science it turned out to be over all a good year. The crafts were a favorite part since HOD crafts really do get done! :D My oldest was bored in CTC. He knew the material. The note booking was frustrating for being too easy. We have done the entire Bible as history as a family so many times in the last 7 years. He felt CTC missed too many topics. It really turned him permanently off to HOD, which is unfortunate. I will never know if I had followed my instinct of Rev2Rev if this year he would be going on to MTMM. My children are bright, and so I realize that can play into some of these issues. Yet, I did feel unheard in placement on this board many times.

When I read this thread I saw this mom feeling unheard, and I guess in the end that is the reason I decided to say something.

Music Mom, I pray the LORD will bless you with clarity of what is best for your dd's freshman year of HS. If it is HOD I pray the LORD will bless you with clarity of what program she can handle best and will challenge her appropriately. In my experience the sudden independence of CTC was a very easy transition coming from a lot of self teaching and home schooling with parents who teach a lot through life as well.

Thank you Carrie and Julie for your work. Over all your TMs did help me stay focused this year, and that was a blessing. My two middles learned quite a bit in their Beyond / MFW Adventures combination and I am thankful for that as well.

God Bless.

In Christ,

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:43 pm

In reading through this post as well as pp posts about placement for dc, I am encouraged by the dedication of both Carrie and Julie to seeing that dc are well placed skill-wise and ready to accomplish every needed highschool skill. I do not see a lack of listening on their part, but rather a desire to fully equip our dc with engaging curricula and challenging work. If a parent decides to alter the curriculum or decides to not follow the suggestions of these two wonderful ladies, that is not the fault of the curriculum. I also pray for wisdom and understanding for all of us hardworking mamas as we make the decisions we think are best for our dc.

Music Mom

Post by Music Mom » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:20 pm

Gratitude,

Thank you so much for your very thoughtful and insightful reply. I came to this board because I thought that HOD might be what we were looking for, and I wanted help thinking through it and seeing what might work for us. I have been feeling discouraged, but I think that sometimes discouragement can lead us in a different direction. After all, when things are right for us we don't tend to feel discouraged.

I really appreciate Carrie telling me that I need to consider whether HOD will be a good fit. I did not realize that the program was not meant to be tweaked. Some are and some aren't, and it is good to know how a program is designed. It does, however, bother me to have things so structured that I can't adapt them to fit. When I taught school I only used the books we were given my first year. I did not like having to follow someone else's plans. After that I took classes and workshops every summer and wrote my own curriculum every year. I adapted the curriculum to my students, things that were going on, new things I learned, etc. I would often find myself jumping on something that happened in class or something a student said and switching my plans on the spur of the moment. Once I had a fifth grade class do a unit entirely independently from the other fifth grade classes, simply because of a conversation we had one day in class. It was enormously successful.

My students and I had a lot of fun, they learned a lot and gained many skills, and my classes ran smoothly. Fortunately, I taught music and we were not tested, so I was free to work with my students on many things they would have missed out on had I just gone "by the book". I was able to use my Kodaly training and my Montessori training and put them together in ways that fit my students. I did not finish my Kodaly training because my school converted to a Montessori school and I took that training instead and completed it for my 3 - 6 and 6 - 9 Montessori certificates. I am sure my Montessori training has greatly influenced the way I look at "school".

While we have not had a lot of formal study in many areas, we have lived them instead. I love poetry, and we read it whenever we want. We read books because that is what we do, not because they were assigned. We talk about books and what they mean to us because we feel compelled to discuss them, not because we have assigned questions. When we were using SL I did try the discussion questions, but they didn't seem to get at the heart of the books. We used them sometimes, usually if I did not read a reader before my children, but mostly we just talked about the books we were reading. We love family read-alouds, and we discuss the book as I am reading. We find ourselves talking TO the characters sometimes! :lol:

We have even enjoyed discussing books that we didn't enjoy reading. A few months ago I read The Metamorphosis. My daughter read it too. My son read part of it and said that was plenty. But we all had quite a few discussions, even weeks later, about Gregor and his family and how they treated him. And we enjoyed discussing why in the world the author had his main character turn into a giant insect. Every once in a while one of them will mention it still.

We even enjoy discussing books only some of us have read. I recently read The Count of Monte Cristo, which I enjoyed immensely. I told my children about it while I was reading it, and one day I walked in to find them singing together. Turns out they had made up a song parody about it. They do lots of parodies, which are quite good. They also write stories together. This is the kind of stuff that happens all the time around here. But none of it comes from a curriculum or a list of assignments. It is spontaneous and meaningful. This is what I do not want to lose. But since high school requires credits, I would like a baseline to "make sure".

My daughter is going to be 15 in December, and I want her to maintain the love of learning that she has had. She really liked the look of the books in MMV, but I just don't know that having her do a structured program that can't be tweaked much is the answer. Part of post removed per board rules. I think that using the Charlotte Mason planning guide will be helpful to me no matter which direction we end up going. Part of post removed per board rules.

I wouldn't be stressing so much about it now, except that I really would like to settle on how she is going to do high school so she can have a smooth four years without a lot of jumping around. My daughter has some great abilities and skills, and is very creative, and I do not want her stifled. She writes as well as or better than the majority of adults. Textbook writing assignments bore her to tears, and I can't blame her. I don't give her a lot of assignments because she writes so much as it is. I keep up with much of what she is writing on Club Pony Pals. The members of the writing clubs really challenge each other, and they all write because they enjoy it.

I dislike busy work, and one of the problems we have had when we use a packaged curriculum is that we often come across things we have long since covered and my children are bored with the unnecessary repetition. My daughter especially hates having to go over things she has known for some time. She wants to move on to new horizons. :-) And she is not at all fond of textbooks. I am really struggling with where to go from here.

She doesn't really care too much what I choose. She just wants to read and learn. And write. And draw. And sculpt. And paint. And animate. And learn more about medical science. She is not stressing out at all. I'm doing enough for both of us.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:02 pm

I just wanted to say I have enjoyed reading this thread. I also wanted to say to you Music Mom that I will pray for you for wisdom.

While my kids are much younger, I also had some similar experiences with busywork and textbooks. For the first 3 years of my homeschooling life, we were completely missing the fun! In year 4, I decided no more drudgery! Learning can be expansive and fun.....all that the same time.

I know you are pondering your options and I do think that praying about whether or not HOD is a good fit for you is definitely wise. My only thought for you is that when you do consider what you plan to teach, I would look at the high school graduation requirements and see what is needed as well should she be bound for college. As you can see, I am not there yet and my kids are still young. But I do teach college level courses. So I am familiar with students that are newly graduates. As you ponder your choices for high school, I know it may feel constrictive to stick with a regime but some of the things I feel like HOD does very well is variety, structure, narratively taught subjects with very interesting areas of study and it has exposed my kids to things they may not have chosen to learn about. Again, you can do this even without HOD. But in college, one of the major issues I have with students is them not being able to follow directions or not being able to completely assignments fully without much specific handholding. It is downright shameful how much I need to help some students with the most basic items. For example, many of my classes use online software for submitting completed homework. Regularly, 20%-25% of my students rarely read the syllabus and have no idea that homework is due regularly. Considering that 75% of my courses are taught online, that is absurd! The only way to learn what you need to do is by opening the posted documents and reading them! In addition, my students all know that each course has firm deadlines. There is always 1 or 2 students (out of 8-20) who fall behind (not included emergency situations) and who expect to be allowed to turn work in for full credit late. If I were their employer, I would fired them. I can honestly go on and on about the simple challenges that these students should have mastered long before making it into my class. So, as an encouragement and food for though for your dd, while your style isn't necessarily rigid structure, I would pray about a way to begin to introduce this if you feel led. I intend my comment with love and I am not saying that you need to do this with HOD. No matter which program you chose, I am just trying to encourage you to consider bringing this concept in if it is not already in place in your homeschooling set up. And again, I truly don't mean to offend. If I did, please just ignore me.

But I am praying that you find what you are seeking. You only have a few precious years left with your dd and I do hope you find the educational path that you believe God has laid before you.

Peace
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

gratitude

Post by gratitude » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Jennymommy wrote:In reading through this post as well as pp posts about placement for dc, I am encouraged by the dedication of both Carrie and Julie to seeing that dc are well placed skill-wise and ready to accomplish every needed highschool skill. I do not see a lack of listening on their part, but rather a desire to fully equip our dc with engaging curricula and challenging work. If a parent decides to alter the curriculum or decides to not follow the suggestions of these two wonderful ladies, that is not the fault of the curriculum. I also pray for wisdom and understanding for all of us hardworking mamas as we make the decisions we think are best for our dc.
Jennymommy, If you re-read my post you will see that I did take their placement advice three times. You will also see that this school year my oldest did CTC as written for 5th grade, 2014-2015. The previous two times I always did HOD as written. The placement was too low each time so I would drop it. This year the placement was too low for him and we continued it. I purchased it November 3rd and we did school until July 3rd. He completed R&S 2,3, and 4 in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. With CTC he did 1/2 of 5, so did have less grammar then previous years. His skills did not grow this year except in IEW that I replaced Writing With the Best with part way through. The reading was very easy for him and below his reading level. He knew the information from us & previous study and learned a little from Diana Waring. It really was poor placement. I was going to use Rev2Rev for him and it would have been a better fit. I appreciate the work Carrie does or I wouldn't have tried HOD three times despite placement problems each time.

Music Mom, It sounds like you are figuring everything out for your dd! :D I pray that HS is a blessing for you both.

Blessings,

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:37 pm

You absolutely can tweak it. But, you'll miss skills Carrie built in. You won't have the ease of a fully planned day. Your child won't have the ease of just opening the guide and doing what's written. There's so many wonderful things about HOD. I'd hate to see you miss it because it's not exactly what you are looking for. You're the teacher, you control the day. You don't have to do everything exactly as written. But you do lose out on somethings when you veer off path.

I have a DD coming home for highschool. We're doing WG. I just read through the catalogue description again today and I am so pumped up! I am beyond excited to be using HOD for highschool. I hope you find whatever you're looking for and you and your DD are excited and have a great year.
7 awesome kids!

3 graduated
4 at home this fall
DD6 Beyond
DS10 Preparing
DS13 MTMM
DS16 online high school