Common Core

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
FiveLittlePeaches

Common Core

Post by FiveLittlePeaches » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:06 am

I dread the fact that this is more than likely going to be implemented in our state.

I was hoping Carrie would consider addressing this issue as it relates to a HOD style education.

thank you.

StephanieU

Re: Common Core

Post by StephanieU » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:03 pm

If you are using Rod and Staff 2 for second grade, etc, then I think you will be fine for language arts. Same thing goes for math. If you are using Singapore 2 for 2nd (or probably even 3rd) grade, you should be fine. In general, most home school curriculums exceed the standards for their grade level. It is fairly easy to match the common core standards with the scope and sequence of these programs. That is all you would have to do to show that what you are using meet or exceed the common core.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Dandelion5

Post by Dandelion5 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Hhhhhh
Last edited by Dandelion5 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:02 pm

I couldn't agree more. In my state common core is already in place and I haven't changed a thing with how I school the kids. I must admit that we recently just found HOD but from everything I can see, they are above the bar in respect to what is taught verses what is on the test. For us, as longs a grammar, math, writing and spelling are lining up, we don't worry about the order of science topics or history topics. I started out more or less eclectic and my kids have always rocked the test. I switched to HOD because I love the book selections, the skills they teach, the volume of work, the independence of the kids and the bonus I don't have to do any planning. With this route - I can only expect that my kids will keep rocking the test.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

DanaFL

Post by DanaFL » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:32 am

Just out of curiosity, what state do y'all live in that you have to worry about meeting certain requirements for a test? Common Core is implemented in the public schools here in FL, however we just have to show via a nationally normed test (i.e. Stanford) that they are doing ok, or have a portfolio show that they are progressing according to THEIR ability (not meeting what the public schools do.) Again...just curious.

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:37 pm

I live in Ohio and we do the Stanford each year. My kids have always done very well.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM