Organization Tip

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Busymomma1

Organization Tip

Post by Busymomma1 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:16 pm

This might be obvious to many, :lol: but it was a lightbulb moment for me! You know how most construction paper comes with the colors separated (ie: in order of red, pink, purple, blue, white, black, repeat the pattern, etc). Well, I've always had the paper in a cabinet and we had to sort through the whole pile to find what we wanted. Well, a friend of mine and I came up with the idea to sort them into the individual colors and file them - all red together, all blue together, etc. So now, we can get it without sorting through the papers, accidentally messing up papers, shuffling them all around, etc. I have them in a little file box now, and I feel so "together"! ha! I'm hoping it will help my kids with getting more independent on doing their projects, as well, because they now have easy access to the paper.

I'm in the process of organizing everything to start school in a month or less, so... I'll be searching the board for other organization ideas. I know they are out there, but if you have a simple one to share... especially about what you do with all of the pencils, pens, tape, glue, etc, I'd appreciate it!
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

LAB

Re: Organization Tip

Post by LAB » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:34 pm

What a great idea! My construction paper is in a terrible mess!

For school supplies I have a little 3 drawer box that fits on my bookcase shelf next to our books we are currently using. The top drawer has pencils, mini stapler, single hole punch, glue sticks and sticky note tabs. The middle drawer has magnifying glasses, small paint palettes and I'm sure something else. The bottom drawer my toddler can reach (he's very tall for his age!) So its full of crayons and colored pencils for him to do his "school work" with the girls. Our bigger art supplies are on the top shelf with our books we aren't using currently.
Laura, mommy to Christine (1-02), Nicole (5-03), both doing Bigger, Everett (4-09) and Alister (9-10)

holyhart

Post by holyhart » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:28 pm

I buy mine pre-sorted. It's a really large pack from crayola and every year during the back to school sales, Toys R' Us sells it for "buy one, get 2 free". It is a really good deal. I just picked it up about 2 weeks ago, along with crayons and markers (same buy 1, get 2 free deal).

It really is so much easier to have it seperated by color!
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:59 pm

My best organizational friend is a peg board. My kids each have one. I cut them spray painted them and then trimmed them with a glue gun and gimp. You can decorate tin cans and put holes in them to hold pencils, erasers, scissors, glue sticks tape, even art supplies just by using a crate or making holes in some plastic containers and hanging them on the pegboard. They will hold those small mini crates that wallmart sells. Rulers can hang on them. I also have a large one in our craft room which is mostly a sewing room for us all. It is a life saver. Those things you can never find are always found easily on the peg board. You can get the pegboard at home depot and paint it with spray paint after you cut it to size. You can frame them with wood trim of you want too. I went with a fabric trim because it is cheaper. You can search google images for some ideas.

I listed this one a while ago but if you sew fabric covered milk crates are wonderful! http://lauragunn.typepad.com/theundercovercrate.pdf
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:54 am

Thanks for the ideas, ladies! :D
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)