Bigger Hearts Science Scope and Sequence?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
John'smom

Bigger Hearts Science Scope and Sequence?

Post by John'smom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:48 am

We have to turn info in to the superintendent of the school my dc would attend. I'm not sure what to do for the Bigger Hearts Science portion. I need something more like how the history scope and sequence is for Bigger Hearts. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help you can give.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

krismoose

Re: Bigger Hearts Science Scope and Sequence?

Post by krismoose » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:01 am

Would the "Science Discovery" section at the end of the Bigger Hearts introduction be enough?
http://www.heartofdakota.com/pdf/BHFHG- ... -07-11.pdf
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:22 am

krismoose wrote:Would the "Science Discovery" section at the end of the Bigger Hearts introduction be enough?
To be honest, I'm not sure. Our first year we filed we sent in info kind of similar to that and it was sent back to us saying that it wasn't enough info even though the law says brief outline. We then sent in the Scope and Sequences that were detailed like the history one HOD has in the introduction and everything was fine. I just wanted to play it safe. KWIM?
Edwena

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:36 pm

I'm thinking perhaps you could look at the books that are covered and how long each is covered and list it that way. For instance the first book is One Small Square Seashore. You could look at the summary of the book or the table of contents of the book and list that as the scope for that time frame and do the same for the other books. So you could say something like, "Weeks 1-4 Exploring the seashore environment." You could list out subtopics by the chapter headings in the book if that is needed. I know the John Audubon book and Thomas Edison books might be more difficult to pinpoint the scope, but you could be more general by saying something like, "exploring birds through the life of John Audubon." Hopefully that would be enough information for them. :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:49 pm

I pm you.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:30 pm

John'smom,

You are welcome to photocopy the entire Introduction from Bigger Hearts to submit along with your school form. You can also photocopy an entire first week of plans (or print the Intro. and first week of plans for Bigger off of our website). Often this goes a long way in helping the school see how well-planned you are and what "science" actually looks like during the week. :D

Here's a link to where to find those on our site: http://www.heartofdakota.com/sample-pages.php

Blessings,
Carrie

Busymomma1

Post by Busymomma1 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:08 pm

John'smom wrote:
krismoose wrote:Would the "Science Discovery" section at the end of the Bigger Hearts introduction be enough?
To be honest, I'm not sure. Our first year we filed we sent in info kind of similar to that and it was sent back to us saying that it wasn't enough info even though the law says brief outline. We then sent in the Scope and Sequences that were detailed like the history one HOD has in the introduction and everything was fine. I just wanted to play it safe. KWIM?
I question if the school is overstepping the law when they sent it back the 1st time. I've read some things on the various homeschool defense organization websites, and they say that superintendents cannot demand more than what the law says. If you belong to one of those organizations, they can write a letter to the superintendent clarifying the law. Just an idea, which may be too much work! But if it's returned again, you could "nicely" point out what the law requires.

I'm not big into confrontation, but I also don't want schools overstepping their legal boundaries.
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:20 am

Thanks, ladies, for your help. :D
Edwena