LHFHG Newbie. Any timeline resources?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ckodakota

LHFHG Newbie. Any timeline resources?

Post by ckodakota » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:47 am

In the History for Little Pilgrims book for LHFHG it suggests making a timeline, and plotting the people/places we encounter through the book. Love this idea and want to do it. Have any of you done this? I would love any links to pictures or blog posts about how you and your family made your timeline. Thank you!

mamayi

Re: LHFHG Newbie. Any timeline resources?

Post by mamayi » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:31 pm

We made a timeline using index cards. I think the idea for that was right in the guide. (I may be mistaken as it's been a couple of years since we did it). I remember each card having a picture and date and label of a particular person or event and then we hung them with clothespins along a ribbon I had tacked on the wall. In the Beyond and Bigger we've used a manila folder to make one. There are pictures in the "Share your week" threads but I am not sure how to link to it!
HTH
Marine Wife for 14 years
Mother to
DS 07/02 Preparing
DD 04/04 Preparing
DD 07/06 LHFHG
DS 09/09 Playing
DD 05/12 Joining the party!

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:55 pm

We used one of the large floorpads. I drew a line across the bottom with a yardstick and my daughter drew the timeline figures from the book (to the best of her ability), then I would add the caption beneath it. We ended up using several pages. I'm glad we did it! Oh, one thing I remember was one or two of the topics studied were out of order time-wise, and we accidentally put them on the timeline wrong, so you might pay attention to that.

Kathy
Completed HOD: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, Res to Ref, DITHOR

Mommamo

Post by Mommamo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:19 pm

I don't think I did a timeline for LHFHG. I think it would be really fun to do one though, and I love the index cards idea. When we get to LHFHG again next year I'll remember that idea! :)
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

ckodakota

Post by ckodakota » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Thank you! I like the card idea. I know I will get bogged down with wanting it to be to scale, so I am afraid to use a real line. Ha!

Kathy- thank you for the heads up about the characters being out of order.