Using DITHOR 4/5 for a 6th grader?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
flackattack

Using DITHOR 4/5 for a 6th grader?

Post by flackattack » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:05 am

Hi there... I am new to HOD this year and will be using DITHOR 6/7/8 for my 8th grader. I was planning on using the same level for my 6th grader, but recently wondered whether I should use the 4/5 student book instead. My concern is that if I use the 6/7/8 book now, I will end up using it 3 years in a row. I don't want the book to become redundant over the years, but I figured veteran DITHOR users could speak to that... :) Also, do you think that 4/5 will be too easy? I don't want it to be ridiculously easy, but I am ok with it not being a huge challenge either. She'll be going to a co-op 1x a week and will have additional work there to do.
I would appreciate any input. :D
Thanks!
Katie

KTLM6

Re: Using DITHOR 4/5 for a 6th grader?

Post by KTLM6 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:13 am

I'm using DITHOR 4/5 for my 6th grader. Part of the reason was because I didn't want to use the 6/7/8 level for three years. The other part is because this is our first full year using DITHOR and I wanted my daughter to get used to the kind of thinking it requires. This isn't the fill in the blank, workbook type of program that my daughter had used in the past. This teaches thinking skills on a much deeper level. Since I can choose the difficulty of the reading material, I wasn't worried about it being too easy. If a book is too simple, I can always choose one that is more difficult. That is one of the beauties of this program! :D
Cathy

Is using CTC and is enjoying LHTH

http://homemissionfield.blogspot.com/

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:39 pm

My dd used 4/5 in 5th and 6th grades. It was neither too easy, nor too difficult for her. She will be doing 6/7/8 this year for 7th grade. I don't think you could go wrong either way with a 6th grader, but if she hasn't done a formal literature study yet, I think I'd go with the 4/5. (You will still be able to combine them for the most part, even with them being in different levels)
Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)

flackattack

Post by flackattack » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Thank you! That is exactly what I was hoping to hear. :D

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:51 pm

I'm using the 4/5 student book with my 6th grader again this year, too. :D

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography