Beyond - need a tame adventure story

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mercymom

Beyond - need a tame adventure story

Post by mercymom » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:02 pm

I am looking ahead to using Beyond this fall and collecting books, etc. All of the selections for "adventure" look too scary for my super sensitive girls. Does anyone have other suggestions? (Other than my question here, it all looks like so much fun and I'm looking forward to using it!) :)
Christy

krismoose

Re: Beyond - need a tame adventure story

Post by krismoose » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:06 pm

How about The Littles, Stuart Little, or My Father's Dragon? Your library probably has all of them. :D
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:36 am

We read A Lion to Guard Us and The Sword in the Tree... neither of them was really scary. Especially not The Sword in the Tree. ALtGU was not scary, but a bit sad at times.

mercymom

Post by mercymom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:22 am

Hm.... I mean like really really really sensitive. lol
Christy

mercymom

Post by mercymom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:30 am

My Father's Dragon looks like it might work! Do you think that one is ok for the "adventure" selection in Beyond? Thanks for all the help! :)
Christy

netpea

Post by netpea » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:57 am

The Appendix in Beyond suggests The Twenty One Balloons for Adventure. We havent' read it yet, but the descriptions i have found look pretty safe for sensitive children. Perhaps someone who has read it could offer up some information.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

mercymom

Post by mercymom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:00 am

I was looking at that one, but the concept seemed like it would be really hard for my little one to understand.
Christy

netpea

Post by netpea » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:04 am

Well my next suggestion would be Baby Island. It doesn't come up in the guides until Bigger Hearts, but I had a 1st and 3rd grader when we read it and they both loved it. The younger one is now in 4th grade and excited to get to read it again for Bigger Hearts this year.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:17 am

May I ask, Is your siggy correct? If you're just starting Little Hearts, I'd see how she does with the Burgess books. You may find as she matures she'll do better with the content of books.

We'll be reading The Sword in the Tree; King of the Wild would be my second choice.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

mercymom

Post by mercymom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:40 am

No, my signature is a little old. :). Lucy just turned 6 and places really well in Beyond. We started LHFHG late in the year so only did part of it. She loved the Burgess books that we read. I'm moving her up to Beyond in the fall bc LHFHG is too easy for her/ not on her level. Some of the conecpts in these read alouds, a parent dying and the kids alone, trying to survive... It would be way too much for her. My Fathers Dragon seems silly enough she might like it. I'm not against stretching her limits a bit, but need to be careful with her little heart. Thanks again for the suggestions!
Christy

sharonb

Post by sharonb » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:56 am

My dc LOVED The 21 Balloons. We've read it twice now; first when the oldest three were in 2nd,1st, and preK, and then again when they were near the end of 3rd,2nd, and K. They didn't find it to be scary at all.

Mine loved Baby Island too, but I wouldn't recommend it for the really super sensitive since it involves the whole survival-without-the-parents thing. Unless you can reassure them that it has a happy ending!

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:12 am

Thanks for asking this. My children, especially my 4YO, are very very sensitive and the 4YO has listened to all the storytimes. We've already been dealing with the "Mommy, I don't want you and Daddy to die" issue with her, I would hate to feed into her fears.

I will check out My Father's Dragon!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

krismoose

Post by krismoose » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:35 am

mercymom wrote:My Father's Dragon looks like it might work! Do you think that one is ok for the "adventure" selection in Beyond? Thanks for all the help! :)
Yes, it's on the HOD Sample Book List under adventure, level 2/3.
Kristen
Loved LHTH & LHFHG :)
DS8 (2nd) WWE1, HOD dictation, Sequential Spelling, SM 2B, VP OT/AE & SOTW1 history, Song School Latin, Getting Started With Spanish
DD6 (K) Saxon Math 1, VP Phonics Museum K
DD3 cutting, gluing, more cutting :D

mercymom

Post by mercymom » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:10 am

Oh, the DITHOR list? I guess that's the one list I don't have! We aren't starting DITHOR till the next year. I'm guessing there are other options in DITHOR so we will still have other choices once we get there?
Christy

netpea

Post by netpea » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:00 pm

yes there are many options listed for each genre and each level on the DITHOR list. You'll be able to find suitable books there.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH