CTC Research? What did you use?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
momtofive

CTC Research? What did you use?

Post by momtofive » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Hello HOD ladies,

Well, we've just finished our first year with HOD, and have just LOVED it so much!! :wink: The children's love of learning is restored and everyone enjoys school each day! :D

In finishing this year's guides, I'm now looking forward to next fall's new line-up for our family. My oldest will be doing CTC, and I have all I need to get started. One question I do have is, what have others used for their research resources? I know that we can use wikipedia, however, in the guide it says to use "one or more comprehensive history encyclopedias. . . . .a Bible dictionary or encyclopedia would also be helpful."

So I guess I'd like to hear from those of you who have already used CTC, and find out what type of research resources you used. I want this to be a great year for my son, as he's really looking forward to this coming guide!

Thanks so much! :D

Kathleen

Re: CTC Research? What did you use?

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:24 pm

During CTC, several of the research questions could be answered using the Bible references that the box listed. Other times, we just used wikipedia as we did not have any other encyclopedias at home. We never had a problem answering most of the questions.

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

tollhousemom

Post by tollhousemom » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:32 pm

We already owned a Holman Bible Dictionary and used it quite a bit, but also used the World Book encyclopedia available online through our library as well as wikipedia.

We had a GREAT year and hope you do too!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:39 am

We used my ds's Bible and Wikipedia. We were able to do all of the research in CTC with these 2 resources. :D CTC was such a good way to learn about the ancients, and the research often helped my ds with his history projects too. Everything linked together so well - it was just fun to see it all come together. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

holdinon

Post by holdinon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:48 am

The only thing in addition to the Bible and Wiki that we used was a Bible Dictionary. But the Bible Dictionary was not necessary. She was able to answer all questions with just the school books, Bible, and Wiki. She just found a few topics throughout the year that she wanted to dig deeper into, and I didn't want her just "roaming" the internet. So the Bible dictionary came in handy for those topics; but, again, not necessary to complete the assignments.
Angie
2013-2014 year:
Geography, CtC, Preparing, Bigger, Beyond, and Little Hearts (and surviving!)

(Completed LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Preparing, CtC, RtR, and RevtRev)