hands-on

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Livingtoglorify

hands-on

Post by Livingtoglorify » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:15 am

Those of you who have children who need everything to be hands-on when learning, do find this program offers enough of that? If not, how do you supplement? My almost 5 year old is very hands-on and mechanically minded. I really like what I am seeing with heart of dakota just wondering how this is going to fit with his learning styles.

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: hands-on

Post by Carrie » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:46 am

Livingtoglorify,

Hello! Welcome to the HOD Board! :D I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the amount and type of hands-on activities found within all levels of HOD. :D I'd love to tell you about them, but I'm busily writing, writing, writing right now. So, I'll just move your post over the Main Board where more moms will see it. All new posts begin on the Main Board. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:02 pm

Yes, I think that you will find that if your child is placed in the right program, there are plenty of hands-on activities that will connect him to what is being learned. My daughter is very hands-on and has done so well with HOD.
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:35 am

I have 3 sons, and hands-on is a necessary component of daily learning in our homeschooling - either they get it there, or they are swinging from the rafters. :D We have loved HOD's daily planning for hands-on! It is balanced, so it is part of every day. HOD never has you do one big hands-on project, and then nothing else hands-on for weeks. Every single day has meaningful hands-on activities planned. :D I like that the projects are varied, are daily, are doable, are right for the age range of dc in the guides, are linked to what we are learning - and best of all - I like that they get done! :D I am able to make sure the dc do them every day because there is no prep or planning for them to take place. No running to the library, to the grocery store, to the pet store, to a science store - nope. I have all I need for hands-on to happen with HOD in our home already. :) Every day is something different. My dc have enjoyed building, baking, painting, sculpting, drawing, constructing, cooking, creating, re-enacting events, various forms of art, science experiments, hands-on math lessons, molding, mapping with salt dough, even calisthenics type large gross motor skills! I know I'd fall down in providing enough of this for my active sons, but HOD does it beautifully for me. Have you seen the HOD photobooks? Those show so many neat hands-on that dc get to enjoy in HOD...
http://heartofdakotasphotobooks.shutterfly.com/

If you are wanting hands-on, you've come to the right place. HOD has your back! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie