How do you organize?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MrsMandy

How do you organize?

Post by MrsMandy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:38 am

I am doing 3 guides and I am trying to figure out how to organize physically our stuff. We may be moving with 30 days or less notice but no set date yet. I am stressing over how to organize all our stuff so it doesn't "look" like we are about to move. It's so messy I can't even concentrate to clean it up much less have the kids work. I have 3 5 shelf bookcases and a cupboard in our room along with a 6 foot table and 3 shorter bookshelves but I just can't decide what should go where. I need some inspiration big time. Anybody wanna share their set up???
Mandy
Married to, Craig, my HERO since 2000
Mom to 3 with #4 due 02/12
Deirdre 2 LHTH
Connor 8 BHFHG
Bradley 15 CTC (and then some)
http://www.emptymelord.blogspot.com/

sharonb

Re: How do you organize?

Post by sharonb » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:46 am

Well, if you are getting ready to move, I don't know that I'd spend a lot of time organizing right now, since you will probably end up changing your set-up once you are in your new home. The main thing would be to make sure all the books you need for the next month or two are available; put those on a shelf together. Make sure your table is cleaned off, and don't stress about the rest for now. If you are planning on getting rid of anything, now is the time to do it (why move it if you are just going to get rid of it?) Maybe plan on tackling a shelf each evening.

As for our set up:
I have a small bookcase in the kitchen where we do school. On top of it I keep the math flashcards (we use CLE), rulers, and a box with extra erasers, etc. On one shelf I keep all of the books we will use for the current school year (math/English TM's, HOD guides and books, my lesson planning book, etc). On the other shelf I'm keeping TM's I'm keeping for younger dc but don't need yet, as well as books used in future HOD guides. I have to keep them off the general shelves so my dc don't read them ahead of time. On the windowsill I have jars filled with pencils, paintbrushes, etc. I have a kitchen cabinet for art supplies, math manipulatives, etc. My oldest has a desk where she keeps her workbooks/binder/English text/etc. My other dc have sterilite drawers for their stuff. In the hallway we have bookcases for all the other books we own. I have a shelf for books related to history (but not specifically used by our current curriculum) and a shalf for books related to science (but not specifically used by our current curriculum). Then the rest of the books are mostly fiction. The chapter books are arranged alphabetically by author. I try to keep the other books somewhat organized (Dr Seuss books together, easy readers together, etc).

Like I said, in your case, I wouldn't spend a lot of time rearranging stuff if you are just going to move it soon. Instead, make sure what you need NOW is very easy to find, and spend any extra time you have sorting through the rest. I know you said you don't want it to look like you are getting ready to move, but I think that books neatly packed into boxes would make you feel better than continuing to deal with a mess. Or at least make sure all the books are sitting neatly on shelves, even if they aren't organized in any particular way. As long as the books you need for your current guides are easy to get to, you can take your time sorting through the rest.

I hope this helped you some!

netpea

Post by netpea » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:56 pm

The most helpful thing I ever did with our school stuff was to buy 2 baskets from Pier 1. I think they were meant to hold magazines, but I use them for the kids school stuff. I put their notebooks, and the books we are using for the next month in each child's basket. All the other books for each program are on separate shelves on the bookshelf. This helped me tremendously.
Lee Ann
DD3 - LHTH
DD10 - no longer schooled at home
DS12 - no longer schooled at home

Have used LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, and BHFHG
http://netpea.blogspot.com

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:53 pm

I love to organize, and this thread is one of my favorites... :D

How to organize home for homeschooling:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3118&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

This is just a really helpful thread in general too...
Best tips for peace, sanity, or really helpful stuff!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4929

I also have some tips on my blog, in case that would be helpful. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jer2911mom

Post by jer2911mom » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:20 pm

I am keeping only the currently-in-use items on the bookshelf. Anything not being used currently is stored in a labeled Sterilite tub in my closet. When we finish a book, it's kind of like a mini-celebration to take it to the tub and get the next one. This keeps the books visible in our homeschool room to a minimum (we are also showing our house).

Kathy
Completed HOD: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, Res to Ref, DITHOR