How to keep guide clean - especially CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
arstephia

How to keep guide clean - especially CTC

Post by arstephia » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:36 pm

I am wondering how you keep your guides clean. My Preparing book is pretty beat up, but thankfully the spine is tight. Same with my Beyond guide, but that has been around for a few years. My DD used Preparing this last year and while she is very careful, I've had to tape the corners to keep them from curling. My bigger concern is with CTC and the watercolor painting days. I don't want the book touched with paint tinged fingers, a stray brush, etc. but she will clearly need the book to carefully follow the directions in the box. What do you do to keep the guides clean and in good shape to use with upcoming kids?
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

my3luvs

Re: How to keep guide clean - especially CTC

Post by my3luvs » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:33 pm

I had the bindings cut off and I put the pages in sheet protectors for this very reason. :)
Karen
Starting our first year at home with HOD-PHFHG [July], mom to DD [9] and DD [5] LHFHG, DS [1/19/99-11/21/03]
http://hitchenacademy.blogspot.com

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:51 pm

Sheet protectors--an excellent idea!

My guides look like they've been through the wringer, but it's not just the kids. I'm visual, and absent-minded :P, so I'm constantly making notes in my guides. We also check off the boxes when we've done them. I may have to buy new ones for the youngest. I'm not sure they'll make it through all three kids.
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:56 pm

Okay, I can't bear to cut the guide up. Binders get dropped, clips open up, and I would be devastated to lose a page. I am most concerned about the painting days. She is one that would want to reread the directions over and over step by step as she is doing so she can do her best. I just don't want my guide near her work area. I am thinking about going through and typing out the directions for each painting box so when she has that activity the specific directions will be in her binder. Is that a reasonable idea?
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

mamas4bugs

Post by mamas4bugs » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:59 pm

I was actually going to suggest that. :)
Living the adventure, blessed to be schooling 3:
Cub 15 MTMM with extentions
Crawdad 11 Preparing
Taz 6 her own interesting mix

Have used and loved: LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
http://ourhomeschooltravelingzoo.blogspot.com/

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:34 pm

Okay, I have already come up with a solution! Typing it all out seems daunting. SO, here is what I just did and I think it will work out GREAT. I cut up 2 crystal clear page protectors (cut along the side that has the 3 hole punches and then tore the bottom seam apart.) Then I put each side of the guide into the page protector so both the outside cover and the open page are covered and use huge binder clips to hold each one at the top. This way the outside edges are protected too (sides, not top/bottom) Each day I can unsnap the clips, turn the page, and reclip to protect the next day!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography

rochie13

Post by rochie13 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:10 pm

I saw someone who was using a clear cookbook holder to keep theirs clean! It kept the book upright so dc didn't have to touch the pages to keep them out of the way and there was the splash guard too!!! I thought it was a FANTASTIC idea! :D
Rochelle
DS6 - Finishing LHFHG and on to BLHFHG after Christmas :)
DD4 - LHTH and learning EVERYTHING alongside brother

birchbark

Post by birchbark » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:21 pm

Yes, here's what I do. The cookbook holder works great for painting! I also highly recommend the clear contact paper on the cover. My guide has held up beautifully this year.
Married to a wonderful man since 1995
DS
DS
DD
DS

mom24boys

Post by mom24boys » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Here's another idea from over on the WTM: http://workbookwindow.com/

You might want to call and see how big of a book it will receive. Then you can mark on it with a dry-erase pen as well. Just a thought (although a little more costly).

HTH.
Cyndi
dh of 18 years
ds15: WG
ds13: MTMM
ds11: CTC
ds9: Bigger

tollhousemom

Post by tollhousemom » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:12 pm

This thread might help...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5608