Singapore Math

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
annaz

Singapore Math

Post by annaz » Tue May 03, 2011 9:57 am

In my defense, I searched and searched and it keeps telling me any concoction of Singapore Math, 4a, etc, is too common. So here I am killing you all with more Singapore Math questions. :D

First, has anyone come from BJU (3)? I don't really want to fix what's not broken, however, I am getting tired of spending so much for math if I can do it less expensively and just as well using Singapore Math. We're talking less than half price and a whole lot less cumbersome.

1)So first, is it friendly for moms who are horrible at math? Trust me, I'll need the TM. :shock:
2)How how long is the teaching portion and how long is the student portion (on average)? How many pages or problems? The 4a sample page I saw and even if it's two sided is about half of what we do in BJU.
3)Is it on level? I looked at 4a sample on Christianbook, but it was a sample on place value and looked easy. I'm guessing it's not all that simple. What's so different about it?
4)Is there a pdf file so I can get a better look of a lesson? One page here and there on CB is sort of driving me batty.
5)Is there a placement test?

Thanks.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

holyhart

Re: Singapore Math

Post by holyhart » Tue May 03, 2011 10:09 am

Here is a link to their placement test. http://www.singaporemath.com/Placement_Test_s/86.htm
~Kelly~
wife of CB since 10/99
mother to:
~Evelyn Grace 5/03
~Joshua Ryan 11/05
~Lillian Rose 8/08
~Caleb Charles 8/10

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue May 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi annaz! :D I will try to answer as best I can. :)
annaz wrote: 1)So first, is it friendly for moms who are horrible at math? Trust me, I'll need the TM. :shock:
2)How how long is the teaching portion and how long is the student portion (on average)? How many pages or problems? The 4a sample page I saw and even if it's two sided is about half of what we do in BJU.
3)Is it on level? I looked at 4a sample on Christianbook, but it was a sample on place value and looked easy. I'm guessing it's not all that simple. What's so different about it?
4)Is there a pdf file so I can get a better look of a lesson? One page here and there on CB is sort of driving me batty.
5)Is there a placement test?
1) I think that as long as you follow the TM it is pretty friendly. I will say that it is harder to come to Singapore later, but if more instruction is needed, the HIG's can be used.
2) I'd guess the teaching portion in 4A was about 15-20 minutes, and the independent student portion was about the same, totaling around 30 minutes on average. I did let Wyatt write right in the Textbook. I didn't have him copy the problems. I figure they are inexpensive, and he doesn't need to write it to get it. This has worked fine for him. He just took his standardized test and did very well.
3) Singapore is typically considered about 1 year advanced. I think what is different about it is it teaches mental math, rather than step-by-step working out of problems on paper. Usually 2 or 3 methods for solving a problem are shown, so dc can choose which way resonates most with them. The methods are often shortcuts that use number sense to help dc do the work mentally. The story problems are also very different. They are multi-step and multi-skill. They also use a unit method that uses bars as a visual. This is amazing! It helps young dc be able to do beginning algebra without ever having to use "x" and "y". Once you find the "unit", you can solve for anything. There is nothing superfluous in the manual. The visuals are not cute little graphics. They are all to help dc visual how to solve problems.
4) Sorry - I am not sure of where there is a PDF, but I can try to snap some pics when I'm back from convention.
5) holyhart gave this link - I'll just say be sure not to help with any part of the test when your dd takes it as it inflates scores and makes the end results be off.

I hope that helps as you consider Singapore, and I'll try to check back here when we're back home! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

annaz

Post by annaz » Wed May 04, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks Julie and holyhart for the link.

I'll have to ponder this. I may try some of it over the summer and see if it's frustrating and go from there.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock: