should I start DITHOR yet?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ckemonster

should I start DITHOR yet?

Post by ckemonster » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:51 pm

My son will be going into 3rd grade according to age, but just finished BJU 1st grade reading/phonics online. It was a great year for him to get a solid foundation of phonics. He struggled so much before this. My oldest has used all the BJU reading text books through 5th but I am just about ready to sell them all and use something different for my son. It worked for her but I know it won't be this way for him (she's switching to DITHOR this coming year too!!!). . . so, I have a feeling that level 2/3 may not be the best for him but I can't just leave him hanging and don't really want to use the BJ 2nd grade reading . . . He can read end of first grade year level well but if he is the least bit frustrated he freaks out and acts like he can't read any of it. Do you think he would be able to handle it? I would love to get it for him to use but I won't sacrifice a happy reader just to have him "on level" and miserable. His comprehension while listening is a struggle area also but he's got to keep progressing so I just don't know where to go next.
thanks

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: should I start DITHOR yet?

Post by Carrie » Sun May 01, 2011 5:27 am

Hello! We're glad to have you here. :D All new posts begin on the Main Board, so I'll just more your post there so more moms will see it! :D I only have a few minutes this morning, so I won't have time to answer your questions. But, some of the moms on the board will likely get back to you before I get a chance. :D We pray that DITHR may be a blessing to your family. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Sun May 01, 2011 7:45 am

Welcome!! You'll love DITHOR with your older child! It's fantastic :)

As for your 3rd grader, I don't suggest DITHOR for him. You can continue phonics if he needs that by jumping into one of HOD's phonics choices where ever he needs to start. Then go to the emerging reader set. OR start him on the emerging reader set which is where HOD kids start after phonics and before DITHOR. There's a schedule for the books in the appendix of both Beyond and Bigger. There are questions that go with each reading that will have him thinking and prepare him well for DITHOR. I used BJU reading one year, and you'll find the emerging reader questions to be very different. The multiple choice format doesn't lend itself to promoting true comprehension by thinking and analyzing like the questions Carrie has scheduled for the readers and DITHOR. I saw a big difference in my DD's comprehension once switching to DITHOR (she was past the emer readers when we found HOD).

You can see the emerging readers on the pages for Beyond and Bigger. I'd link you bit that's difficult to do from my phone!
HTH!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sun May 01, 2011 8:05 am

I agree with Tamara, that the emerging readers would be a great next step after you feel he is pretty well finished with his phonics. Here is the link to them: http://www.heartofdakota.com/emerging-reader.php :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun May 01, 2011 8:07 am

We've enjoyed using DITHOR for many years over now, and I am so glad your dc will get to enjoy it as well. :D For your younger ds, you have several good options, depending on his reading skills. As you can choose your own books to use with DITHOR, you could choose books fitting his reading level and begin if you feel he is ready. Book sets are also available to be used with DITHOR, and the first book pack is called Level 2. Here is a link to the books in that package in case that may fit him...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/drawn-into-optional.php

Another option is to use HOD's Emerging Reader's Set prior to beginning DITHOR. This is an excellent early reader's set of books that helps dc gain confidence in their reading, build their comprehension, and prepare for DITHOR. In HOD's teacher's guide "Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory" and also in HOD's teacher's guide "Bigger Hearts for His Glory", the plans for the Emerging Reader's Set books are included in the Appendix. Manageable bite-sized readings are scheduled each day along with oral comprehension questions specifically matched to each daily reading. The questions are written according to Bloom's Taxonomy and are an excellent tool to build comprehension and prepare dc for DITHOR. Dc steadily progress through the ERS books as they increase in difficulty, and this moves them along beautifully in their reading. We have found the Emerging Reader's Set to be the perfect transitional tool for our dc between phonics and chapter books. Here is a link to the ERS...
http://www.heartofdakota.com/emerging-reader.php

I would lean toward doing the Emerging Reader's Set with your ds. The book selections are wonderful, and so well-suited to dc in this stage of reading. I think you would both love it! However, you will know best which option fits your ds's needs. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie

P.S. Patty and I were typing at the same time - I guess we were thinking the same thing too - along with Tamara! :D :D :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Sun May 01, 2011 10:26 am

I, too, say that Emerging readers sounds like the next step ,if he can read 1st grade level books. i took a few months break btwn ERs and phonics with my son to make sure he was reading at at that level and then jumped into the ERS.
They are some great books.

Jenn
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger