Lightbulb moment!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
avbprincess

Lightbulb moment!

Post by avbprincess » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:15 pm

A few weeks back I had been trying to figure out an HOD schooling plan for my 3.5 year old son that will take him through high school, and the challenge was that there will be only 12 guides for 13 years of school (including K). I wrote about my thoughts in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8670. The plan I created was to finish LHTH this year, do it a second time, and then create my own HOD inspired K year before starting LHFHG in 1st. I still think that’s a good plan, but I think I’ve found something better. The ever wise and helpful Julie created a lightbulb moment for me on Thursday when she wrote in her post of another thread ( viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9006 ): “I also love your idea of doing school 4 days a week. Do you know you could do LHFHG, Beyond LHFHG, and Bigger Hearts all 4 days a week, and this would take about 4 years or a little less.” Now, I had already thought of this myself back when I was pondering the possibilities, but it just didn’t appeal at the time because of the “messiness” of scheduling, administrative stuff required of the umbrella school we plan on using, and my anal retentive revulsion at the idea of not completing each unit in one week. :P But seeing what Julie wrote sparked something in my brain and I spent the next couple hours figuring out all the logistics. I figured we can finish out LHTH doing 4 days per week starting Monday and continue doing a 4 day schedule through the second round of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond and Bigger, and be done with it all by the end of 3rd grade. We would then start Preparing in 4th, just as we would have done with my original, create-my-own-K plan. In some ways the 4 days a week plan is more complicated, but in others it is simplicity itself: do HOD as written, but just at a slightly slower pace. I like that. :)

So, does my new plan sound good? Any reason the other plan might be better? And yes, I know about the "best laid plans" and all that, and that God is really in control, but I still like to see it all written out so neat and tidy on paper. :wink:
Deanna
Wife to DH since 2000
DS 17 - US2
HODers from the beginning

KTLM6

Re: Lightbulb moment!

Post by KTLM6 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:05 pm

It's a great plan! :) I might consider that for my 4 yr old dd. I've been thinking ahead and realized the same thing. Guess I hadn't gotten to the writing it out on paper part yet. One thing to consider is that there may come a time when you'll have to slow down or make up time. An illness, a struggling child, a family emergency... all could contribute to taking more time than planned. I think maybe I would plan a little leeway in there so that, if the unforeseen happens, you won't suddenly feel your child is behind somehow. There's always the option of picking back up to five days a week. Or, just keeping a few weeks or a semester ahead might be a consideration too. As a mom of a homeschooler that finished her senior year's work a few months early, it is nice to have it done. Now she can focus on preparing for college and helping plan her graduation instead of being stressed trying to get everything done. :)
Cathy

Is using CTC and is enjoying LHTH

http://homemissionfield.blogspot.com/

vtbowman

Post by vtbowman » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:16 pm

I will be doing LHFHG with my 5yo next year and I have wondered about a 4 day week. How much of a pain/annoyance is that? Does it throw of any balance to the weekly schedule?

mskogen

Post by mskogen » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:26 pm

This is exactly what I am doing with my ds 6 right now. I have a different reason, though. My older 2 sons are in Preparing which is only 4 days a week. I didn't think I could ask ds 6 to do school when his older brothers did not have too. I love how this is working. We use the 5th day of the week for field trips, coops, enrichment and play dates...I think you will love it too. Great idea.
Blessings,
Michelle

Wife to dh since 2000
ds 15 years old, World History
ds 14 years old, World History
ds 11 years old, RTR
dd 9 years old, Preparing
Enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, MTMM, WG, enjoying WH

Malenksha

Post by Malenksha » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:22 pm

I think it's a great plan myself! My 6 yo son needs more time before and with Beyond and perhaps Bigger... so I'm going to take it slow like you (4 days a week) and see how it goes. We can always move to five days a week at any time if we needed to speed things up again.
DS 10 - Preparing Hearts
DS 6.5 - Little Hearts

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:07 pm

Deanna,

I agree that this is a great idea and one that flexes with your child on so many levels! :D It truly is a lightbulb moment! :D

Blessings,
Carrie