Preparing questions

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kwickimom

Preparing questions

Post by kwickimom » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:09 pm

Newbie here, thinking of ordering Preparing for DD (will be 9)

I was just wondering what you do on Day 5 if you do anything. Do you just do a 4 day or do you add in anything for Day 5? I am just getting a look ahead at scheduling. I really like to have a 5 day school week because it works for us to keep a schedule and not get bored. I dont think I want to stretch the 4 day plan, i'd rather just di it as written so I was thinking of maybe doing some extra reading or Apologia add in. Just trying to get an idea thanks!!

Busymomma1

Re: Preparing questions

Post by Busymomma1 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:37 pm

We're going to use Fridays to delve into some Apologia science, and perhaps do a "Countries and Cultures" thing, along with some cultural cooking. OR... educational game day! :-) There are many possibilities! :-)
Tricia
Married for 14 great years!
Mom to DD (10)
DS #1 (9)
DS #2 (6)

annaz

Post by annaz » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:43 pm

I wish I had Day 5 free to finish Preparing each week. We're one of the slow ones. We never finish. And we would have wonderful weeks if I had Day 5! (sigh). Perhaps just take your time and enjoy it. It's quite full and you may find you need it for completion. We also use BJU Math instead of Singapore and never realized (I'm such a dope) that BJU Math isn't scheduled that way and now we're completely behind in math and actually reading... We use BJU Reading as well and not DITHOR. (double sigh).

Honestly I'd save it for completing unfinished tasks or use it as "corrections" Friday...all the work you want to correct and they need to redo, perhaps math review pages, or just a review day. But I wouldn't add....unless it's a field trip :D .

I like the educational game day too. Ooooh. To have a free day 5.... it would be soooo nice.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:44 pm

We do Latin, and sometimes educational board games, Wii Or Playstation Move games (active movement type!), enjoy nature, get with other hs friends, or have a good home ec (house cleaning) day! We got 4 units into PHFHG and though we were going half speed for a bit, we did a few days full speed and it never took us as long as it said to expect, other than notebooking days. ;) I'd set a timer and then let her finish it later after we finished the rest. She loves to draw!
As long as your child is placed properly, the listed time for completetion should be how ling it takes if not less. IT includes DITHOR. Using other programs besides those suggested definitely can add a lot of time to your day so that 5th day would be a great finish up day. You could also delve deeper into the week's topic if it's especially interesting to your DD. Oh, library day falls on our 5th day too. Keep in mind, sometimes you may wind up missing a day some weeks due to doctor visits, illness, needing a break NOW days ;), so don't fret if your 5th day lands on a Tuesday ;)
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

arstephia

Post by arstephia » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:45 pm

We love having the 5th day off! We play games, do some arts/crafts, take nature walks, watch educational movies, do some cleaning/errand running and just really relax! If anything didn't get read or an activity completed we do it then, but we we seriously just play it by ear and enjoy our 5th day together without the pressure of a schedule or to-do list. I am SO glad the future guides are built on the 4 day school week.
I've done all the guides now with at least one child and still feeling the HOD LOVE. LOL!
DD 9- Preparing
DD 13- Rev 2 Rev
DS 15- Geography