Bigger's Extensions: How much reading daily? Is my ds ready?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Heart_Mom

Bigger's Extensions: How much reading daily? Is my ds ready?

Post by Heart_Mom » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 pm

Hello!

We're planning to start Bigger in August :D and I'm trying to determine if my soon to be 10 year old son will be able to handle the reading in the extensions. Could someone please give me an idea of how many pages are scheduled to be read each day? I have borrowed Freedom Train and Esperanza Rising from my library to see get a feel for what the reading level is like. I think my son could read these books, but I don't think he could handle reading a large portion each day yet. (They would be challenging reading for him.) Could anyone give me an example of one day's reading assignment from each of the two books I listed above? Then I can look at my copies and maybe get a better idea of whether or not my son can handle it.

I'm very happy to purchase the extension package if my son can handle it, but I don't want to buy it if he's not going to be ready for it. I really want him to be ready for it, but I'm not sure he is. :wink: He's a little "behind" in the 3 R's, and sometimes I struggle with being content with that and not pushing him ahead to what he's not ready for. (He's nearing the end of vision therapy.) If anyone has thoughts for me about deciding whether or not he needs it, I'm happy to hear your advice! :D

Oh, I've considered reading the extensions aloud to them, and having just my then 10 year old complete the assignments that go along with them, but I'm not sure if I could fit the extra reading into our day.

Thoughts?
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9
dd - 5 (Little Hearts for His Glory)

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

Mom2Monkeys

Re: Bigger's Extensions: How much reading daily? Is my ds ready?

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:16 pm

I would think doing it as is sounds enough for his skill level. BHFHG is pretty meaty! If you did them, I wouldn't worry with the assignments so much. I just think it might push him too much. Id start without the readings then add them in if you felt the need. It may take about 15-20m of his time. Then later, if you felt it was needed, you could assign the extra work to go with the readings.
I feel like once you get going, you'll find Bigger is likely enough for him as is with the proper level of math and language arts. :) No pressure to add in the extensions!
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

sahervey

Post by sahervey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Most of those books are scheduled for a few weeks of reading. Freedom Train is for 2 1/2 weeks and Esperanza Rising is scheduled for 4 weeks of reading. The Bigger Guide has the pages numbers or chapters scheduled in them already. It's nothing you'll have to figure out for yourself.
Amy
Married to a Navy Chaplain
Mom to 4: Addie, Joel, Silas, and Lincoln
AH2
World History
MtMM
Bigger

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:53 pm

I hope it's okay to post an example from the back of the Bigger manual. If not please delete. I'm doing it with the understanding you're wanting to place your order and need to know whether to add the extensions. :D

Unit 31: All the days include Esperanza Rising
Day 1: p. 1-12
Day 2: p. 12-26
Day 3: p. 26-38
Day 4: p. 39-53
Day 5: p. 53-65
Science: The Story of Thomas Alva Edison Ch. 9
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:20 pm

John'smom wrote:I hope it's okay to post an example from the back of the Bigger manual. If not please delete. I'm doing it with the understanding you're wanting to place your order and need to know whether to add the extensions. :D
Thanks for giving me that example. You're right that I'm planning on ordering Bigger (and probably LHFHG) soon and just need to know if I should buy the extensions too. This is very helpful! :D

Thanks so much! :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9

Proverbs 4:23 "Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life."

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:27 pm

I looked at the assigned readings in Esperanza Rising and I'm honestly not sure he'll be up to doing that independently. Not sure what to do. Is Bigger too light for 4th grade for him if we don't do the extensions?

I looked at the placement chart, and he really places squarely in Bigger. For writing, he can do all the skills. The sentences he composes on his own aren't always spelled correctly, but he can compose them.
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9

beverett

Post by beverett » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:12 pm

I just wanted ot tell you that I feel like Bigger is totally enough for 4th grade. I am doing it for my 4th grader without the extensions. I really struggled with deciding whether or not to do them when we first started. I decided to start it as is and take it from there. I am SOOOO glad I did not do the extensions. (He would be perfectly able to do them now, so I am probably just going to do the extensions next year with Preparing, but will be certain he can handle it before we start!) He is a very smart boy, we just needed time 1) to get used to HOD as it was new to us 2) he did not LOVE to read (which now he does thanks to DITHOR!!!!!!!) :D :D This is just my two cents, but it really is enough in my opinion! :D
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:19 am

beverett wrote:I just wanted ot tell you that I feel like Bigger is totally enough for 4th grade. I am doing it for my 4th grader without the extensions. I really struggled with deciding whether or not to do them when we first started. I decided to start it as is and take it from there. I am SOOOO glad I did not do the extensions. (He would be perfectly able to do them now, so I am probably just going to do the extensions next year with Preparing, but will be certain he can handle it before we start!) He is a very smart boy, we just needed time 1) to get used to HOD as it was new to us 2) he did not LOVE to read (which now he does thanks to DITHOR!!!!!!!) :D :D This is just my two cents, but it really is enough in my opinion! :D
Thanks for this encouragement, beverett! :D I think that Bigger will be "enough" for my son (with grade level math and LA added in) even though I'd rather he be doing something more challenging.
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9

beverett

Post by beverett » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:17 am

Yes, just thought I would say that we are doing grade level math and rod and staff and also DITHOR 4/5.... so with all that is is perfect for us!! :D :D So even if you wanted to start of as is and then add the extensions later once you get into the swing of things and get an idea if it would be good for him, that is a thought!
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:32 am

Heart_Mom - you have already received wise counsel! :D I thought it may be helpful to read these few links...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8289&p=60302
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8510&p=62017

In a nutshell, if in looking at using the extensions, it becomes obvious that...
the extensions are going to need to be read aloud by the parent instead of the student, the students are going to need to have shortened reading assignments to be able to do them, or the student is going to be overloaded and not have the time and ability to do the daily plans of the guide well, extensions should not be used - regardless of the age of the student. Very good question! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:58 pm

my3sons wrote:Heart_Mom - you have already received wise counsel! :D I thought it may be helpful to read these few links...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8289&p=60302
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8510&p=62017

In a nutshell, if in looking at using the extensions, it becomes obvious that...
the extensions are going to need to be read aloud by the parent instead of the student, the students are going to need to have shortened reading assignments to be able to do them, or the student is going to be overloaded and not have the time and ability to do the daily plans of the guide well, extensions should not be used - regardless of the age of the student. Very good question! HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Hi, Julie!

I will check out the links that you posted! Thanks! :D

Your "nutshell" explanation probably clinches it, though. :D My son is not ready to do the extensions and assignments on his own, so I will be content to do Bigger as written. :wink: Maybe he'll have grown in abilities to be able to do the extensions for Preparing the following year, but I'll re-assess then.

Thanks so much, and I'm glad that I did not buy something that he's not going to be ready for yet! I'll look forward to placing my order for Bigger and probably LHFHG soon! :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9

Heart_Mom

Post by Heart_Mom » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Julie,

I read the links that you posted with additional information about Bigger's extension. They were SO helpful, and even more solidified that my son does not need them next year.

Thank you so much for your help! :D

Oh, and I wanted to let you know I've been really enjoying your new blog. :D
Blessings,
Elisabeth

ds - 17
dd - 14
dd - 12
ds - 9