Question on R & S English series

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jhperry

Question on R & S English series

Post by jhperry » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 am

I'm using Beyond this year with my 2nd grade son and using Bigger next year for 3rd grade. This year there was no English text recommended (just the spelling and grammar in the guides) and I noticed that English 2 is recommended for Bigger but then English 3 or 4 is recommended for Preparing. My son will be in 4th grade when we use Preparing but only in English 3. Is that okay? I just want to make sure I shouldn't have done English 2 this year to keep up with the grade levels by R & S. I also have a daughter that will be doing Bigger as a 2nd grader...should I start her in English 2 or wait until her 3rd grade year? Thanks for your help!
Jamie
*Mom to Ds 14, Dd 12, Dd 10, and Ds 5
*Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, DITHOR, CTC, RtoR, Rev2Rev & MTMM

cirons

Re: Question on R & S English series

Post by cirons » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 pm

There is no rights and wrongs I think when it comes to placing your kids where they fit. My dd is doing Preparing and is using R&S 3 (both 3 and 4 are scheduled in the manual) and my ds is doing Beyond with the once a week grammar as scheduled so he will be the same (2 in Bigger and level 3 in Preparing), but I know a few parents on the board here have children ready for more grammar earlier so they use R&S 2 in Beyond etc etc.
One of the great things about HOD is the flexibility it gives within each manual to place your dc where they are at and it guides you all the way! Love it.

Enjoy....
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

beverett

Post by beverett » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:56 pm

I just wanted to add that I am thinking that it is because Carrie has metioned that Rod and Staff 7 and 8 are sufficient for highschool level grammar. I am doing this with my own son who is in the 9th grade. He will do level 7 for 9th and 10th grades then finish by doing Rod and Staff level 8 for 11th and 12th grades. So it is just a matter of pacing the Grammar where your child would hit level 7 by the ninth grade if you plan on using Rod and Staff through highschool. I am not sure what Carrie has planned for those level HOD guides? :D :D Oh I am also using Rod and Staff level 3 with my 4th grade son, because I was planning on doing the same with him. I think you would be doing just fine to leave your little one in level 2 for 3rd grade in BIGGER! I also have a 10 yr old son that will be doing preparing next year for 5th grade and will do Rod and Staff level 4, whoowee... I just have it planned so that we will do the same as his brother and fall into level 7 for the nonth grade.
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:26 pm

My DS did R&S 2 with Bigger (2nd grade) and is now doing R&S 3 with Preparing (3rd grade/the rest next year for 4th--we are doing Preparing for 3rd and 4th grade) and it has been a perfect fit for him! I think Bigger for 3rd paired with R&S 2 and Preparing for 4th with R&S 3 is a great combo too! I have had to make some of the R&S oral and do odds or evens for him so it isn't too much writing or he would absolutely struggle with it -- I say that b/c you may find your DS doesn't even need to do that and will be able to do it all since he will be a little bit older! :D Like PP said, there is no "right" or "wrong" to the level -- whatever fits your child best! :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:03 pm

Both of my sons did R & S English 2 with Bigger Hearts. I liked having the intro to the basic parts of speech first in Beyond. It was a nice way to begin grammar, and then R & S English 2 worked well to move into next. In general, HOD advises to work through R & S English 6 by the end of grade 8, as R & S English 7 and 8 are high school credit worthy. :wink: Your son will easily be able to accomplish that with the pacing you are on. :D Sounds like he's doing just fine! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

jhperry

Post by jhperry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:18 pm

Oh, good...I see now! I guess I wasn't looking far enough ahead. Thanks so much!
Jamie
*Mom to Ds 14, Dd 12, Dd 10, and Ds 5
*Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, DITHOR, CTC, RtoR, Rev2Rev & MTMM