New to HOD....questions getting ready for Beyond

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hearbelieveobey

New to HOD....questions getting ready for Beyond

Post by hearbelieveobey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Hello! I am new to HOD and can't wait to start! I fell in love with it at the bookfair in Arlington last year and can't wait to finish up the curriculum we have in 2 weeks so we can dive in to HOD. It has the element of fun that we have been missing with our other one. We are so excited! I have a few questions on what I need to order. I'm not sure which reading set to order. Do I order the Classic set and the Emerging readers or do you pick one or the other? My son turned 6 in January but is pretty advanced I think. He can read short chapter books alone, like Nate the Great or Cam Jansen or even just pop open the NIV bible. He comprehends well and doesn't sound stuff out. He's a natural reader that just flows. He's been reading since he was 3 and loves it! With that said, what would you suggest I order? I'm sure there has to be another post somewhere about this, but I haven't been able to find it. The hard part for me is finding things that are age appropriate even though he is advanced. Socially, he is still a fun, silly 6 year old boy and I don't want him to just push him ahead in grades but at the same time I don't want him getting bored. Hope that makes sense. I'd love any and all advice you have. Thanks again! Can't wait to dive in and get started!

Krista
Married to my best friend for almost 9 years.
Proud mom of 2 sweet boys Taylor (6) and Grayson (2).
The joy of my life is staying home with my boys to train them and raise them up to be Godly men.

my4sugars

Re: New to HOD....questions getting ready for Beyond

Post by my4sugars » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:36 pm

Krista- Welcome to HOD! We are finishing up Beyond in a few weeks with my twin daughters for 2nd grade. I also used it 2 years ago for my oldest son. Beyond is such a gentle curriculum, we so loved it. As far as the reading sets, the Classics set is used for Storytime, where you read to your son. The Emerging Readers schedule is the reading material for your son to read to you. If he has finished phonics, this a great transition for him into chapter books. We have read both the Boys and Girls interest packs, and are now reading the Classic set. We have loved all of them, but I will say that the Classic set has been more available at our library than the other two. HTH!
Kimi~
Mama to the 4
greatest kids
this side of heaven!
Jesse, Shannon, Mary, & Seth

hearbelieveobey

Post by hearbelieveobey » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it. I'm so glad you have enjoyed HOD. It's encouraging to hear. Seems like that is the common thread for everyone on here. :-) So excited to get started. That helps me a lot. Appreciate it!
The joy of my life is staying home with my boys to train them and raise them up to be Godly men.

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:05 pm

Yes you choose a storytime set for you to read aloud, and then for your son choose between the emergent readers, or DITHR level 2. For a 6 year old DITHR might be a bit hard depending on his writing skills. You could go ahead with the emergent readers to build his comprehension, or get the level 2 DITHR book pack, and just have him read until he is ready for the written element of DITHR 2/3.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

raceNzanesmom

Post by raceNzanesmom » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:08 pm

We will be using Beyond in the fall. We decided on a variety of readers so have most from the boys list, some from the classics and one from the girls. As long as you have one from each genre you're good.
~Angie
Helpmeet to James for twenty six years
Mom to Race, 23- homeschool grad and Zane, 12- RTR

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:12 pm

Welcome!
Just to clarify, you will need to order for Beyond the following:
Economy Package-contains all the history read-alouds and the teacher manual
Basic Package-contains Science text, Math workbooks (choose level 1A/1B), devotional book, and Bible memory CD
Choice of reading program-based on what you have shared I would choose the Emerging Readers set-choose either the set with the Early Reader's Bible or the Beginner's Bible which is a higher rading level-A reading schedule and follow-up questions are in the appendix of the Beyond manual.
Deluxe package-these are read-alouds for you to read to your child-you can choose of the three sets, or pick and choose from each set as long as you have one book from each genre. Alternatively, if you need to economize, you can try finding them at your local library.
The reasons I am suggesting the Emerging readers are because 1)DITHOR requires writing that your young son may not be ready for 2)the readers progress gradually in difficulty and by your son reading to you and answering the questions he will build fluency and comprehension.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

tnahid

Post by tnahid » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:29 pm

I would say to start him on the emerging reader books. My son had just turned 7 when we started, and he was an excellent reader already, yet he really has enjoyed the emerging reader set. He has gone a little faster with it, like wanting to double up reading some days, etc, and that is fine. He may get done quicker but that will be okay too. If he finishes quicker, you can always go ahead and have him start with the 2/3 level boy readers. They are awesome. My oldest son loved those. My 7 year old really enjoyed the emerging reader's content, and I think your son would really enjoy those too! They get progressively higher in reading skills as they go along.

Welcome to HOD! Blessings!
Tina
ds 11 -- DITHOR 4/5 and other curriculum
ds 9 -- Preparing and DITHOR
dd 5 -- 1st grade variety of curriculum
Wife of a loving DH 12 years
starting our 4th year of home education, 3rd year of HOD and DITHOR, so blessed...what a journey!

hearbelieveobey

Post by hearbelieveobey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 am

Thanks so much everyone! I'm really excited to get started and you helped answer some of my lingering questions. Looking forward to talking with you all more...I'm sure I'll have questions along the way. :-) Thanks again!