record keeping question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kelly

record keeping question

Post by Kelly » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:55 pm

Hello Ladies!

I live in South Carolina and here we are required to keep a journal or plan book. I was wondering if those of you with similiar requirements transfer what you are doing over to another book for record keeping, or do you feel that the teacher's guide itself, with checks and dates is sufficient? Before we switched to HOD I was writing EVERTHING down in a record book. Now I just check and date. It is so much easier. I was thinking when it is my daughter's turn to use it, I can use a colored pen and write her name with the date to distinguish her work from my sons.
Just wondering how you do it!
Thanks,
Kelly

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:08 pm

This is what I plan to do. I will use a different colored pen and hi-liter than I did with dd, and/or maybe write ds name in as well. I am going to let the guide suffice. If I'm using anything in addition, that can be written in as well. It's much easier than trying to write it all out in a planner. I'm looking forward to finding out what others think, too! :)

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:11 pm

I'm your neighbor in GA with really no requirements but I seem to remember Carrie said that sometimes people hand in the HOD guide as their record to show what they have done. Not sure if that would work but sounded good to me. :wink:
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:32 am

The guide is a PLAN book. so as long as you date it and check it. it is the best record of what you have done. I also write down the books we are reading for DITHOR and read alouds. even tho I don't have to report to the state.. I some times feel like I have to report to grandpa! (the school superintendent)
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:37 pm

The ladies are exactly right on this one! Your guide is your plan book. It is your year's worth of lesson plans all written out. With the added notebooking components, poetry copywork, art projects, etc. you also end up with a large portfolio of things to "show" what your kiddos have done as well.

So, just date the pages in the guide and write in any book titles you did for read-alouds or DITHR and you're set! Dating also keeps track of attendance. The Introduction of the guide lays out how every subject area is covered, so you can also make any personal notes there about each subject area. :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie