Rod and Staff 6 question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
floridalover67

Rod and Staff 6 question

Post by floridalover67 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:06 pm

I know HOD recommends R+S for English. And I always wanted to use it, but the diagramming scared us away. I was never into diagramming sentences. I have looked at it, but it is foreign to me. We were taught, as children, to just label the parts of the sentence.

Does HOD include the lessons in R+S with the diagramming? Or is it left out?
2013-2014 school year
HOD World Geography, MUS Algebra 1

lharris

Re: Rod and Staff 6 question

Post by lharris » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Hello Floridalover
Don't be frightened of the diagramming. It is a wonderful tool for mental development, critical thinking, and thorough understanding of our language. It is different from just labeling because the child will be able to visually see the sentence and whether or not it is a good sentence. Susan Bauer has a wonderful explanation (find on web) of the benefits of diagramming. Carrie and Julie can probably point you into more helpful threads as well. I'm a proponent of diagramming because I am a big logic and language lover. Diagramming will prepare the child for logic if you are interested in adding that later in middle school or for confidence in later assessment tests (like college entrance). I know I'm having to relearn everything right along with my ds8. My handwriting has improved, and I'm much better at early American history! :)
Laura
Children's & HS Librarian
Classical Ed., HOD, ds LHTH-BHFHG

Pray for the strength of our moms and dads, pray for the Lord's continued rescuing of His children -- His Exodus. May the the Lord's peace and presence be felt in your loving homes!

floridalover67

Post by floridalover67 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:32 pm

I just do not understand diagramming. I didn't understand it as a high school student. And I still do not understand it. I am not an out of the box thinker. Things have to be pretty straightforward for me :oops:

We may have to skip them because it might be frustrating for both my daughter and myself. I will read over R+S when I get it to see how well it explains it.

Thank you!
2013-2014 school year
HOD World Geography, MUS Algebra 1

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:02 pm

R&S makes diagramming so easy. If you have never taught it before, start in R&S 5 and go quickly through anything your student knows, slowing down on the diagramming if she gets stuck. I guarantee that you will both learn to diagram with R&S and it is ever so simple. :) Do not be afraid!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:33 am

R & S begins to teach diagramming in R & S English 3. In general, R & S English is considered quite advanced, with R & S English 7 and 8 being high school credit worthy. :D Because of this, HOD has dc complete R & S English 6 by the end of Grade 8. I see from your signature that your child is 12 yo. R & S English 6 would be quite meaty for a 12 yo, especially if she has not done any diagramming. My 11 yo ds is finishing R & S English 4 right now, as scheduled within RTR, and it has been just right for him. :D We are following HOD's advice to do 2/3 of it orally, and I only have him write about 1/3 of it or less. This has kept my ds moving along, retaining what he has learned well, while also making the time we do R & S a nice amount of time. :D You may want to start your dd in R & S 4 or 5 instead of 6. R & S English 5 is considered quite foundational especially. :wink: R & S English is so much more than just a grammar program, as it teaches grammar for the purpose of writing. The writing components in 4 and 5 are excellent tools for teaching as well. R & S English's step-by-step way of teaching skills along with their clear instruction, and complete answer key, make teaching it easy on us moms - even the diagramming! :D :D :D HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:37 am

I agree with the wise ladies advice! I would do Rod and Staff 5 for an older student who has had no previous diagramming experience. English 5 is Rod and Staff's key English year. Even if you have to slow down, doing all of English 5 is excellent preparation for high school level writing. :D Understanding the various parts of the sentence helps a child create better sentences that express the student's thoughts more clearly. Diagramming also helps both teacher and student have a common terminology and knowledge base in sentence structure to start from when discussing how to improve the student's writing. It is a wonderful tool in understanding how word order within sentences can be used to better convey meaning. Make sure to do much of the lesson orally or on white board and assign only one portion to do in writing on paper. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi floridalover,
Just want to encourage you too-I used to be afraid of diagramming too! But my daughter, almost 12, is using Rod and Staff 5, and my 13 year old has just started Rod and Staff 6. I did not understand diagramming years ago either, but if I can do it, so can you! Rod and Staff's teacher manual has a lot of helpful notes for the teacher, and the lessons in the student book are so very clearly explained. Ditto to doing a lot of the work orally, and the white board is our best friend :D Diagramming really makes clear the various parts of speech in a sentence. The first diagrams in Rod and staff 5 are so simple, just the noun and verb, and then the rest is built slowly on that in subsequent lessons. This is then reviewed carefully in the first half of Rod and Staff 6 and then built on further. There is so much more to Rod and Staff than just diagramming-it is such a thorough program. I can guarantee you I am learning much more grammar now teaching my girls with Rod and Staff than I ever did before. Rod and Staff 5 will be a perfect place to start your daughter.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12