We did it!!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
yayadaisy

We did it!!

Post by yayadaisy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:57 am

today we did HOD for the first time and it was great! We are using Beyond. My 8 yr. old loved it and was so excited about school. He loved the spelling and he hates spelling. He said " This is fun I like it!" Now I know why so many people can't stop talking about HOD. My only concern was for my 6 yr. old who thought it was "to much" and she is the one that loves school. I think it was to advanced for her she just started K this year and I didn't get a program for her just have been doing this and that. I may get the k prgram for her. Even though it was a great day and I can not wait until the next day.

Sheila

joyfulheart

Post by joyfulheart » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:07 am

Oh, how exciting!

I can just hear the happiness in your words!

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:33 pm

Sheila,
Our kids are almost exactly the same age(7 3/4ds, 6yr old dd). I thought that they could both do beyond at first because my daughter liked school more and gets skill type things better than my son. I ordered LHFHG for her only because I thought they would do better in seperate programs. (My son is super sensitive to her being able to spell better than him, write better, etc.) I am finding that LHFHG is JUST right for her. Although she does well with school things, this program is just right for her maturity level. It is just enough for her, and it is not babyish at all.
Doing two programs hasn't been tough at all. We are done by lunch ,11am.
When I read your post, it immediately made me think of my kids, so I wanted to share what is working for us. Hope it helps!
Kelly

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:48 pm

Glad your first day went well!

My daughter is using LHFHG for K. We are starting week 2 and she enjoys it. So I'm sure your daughter would enjoy it as well.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:25 pm

Yahooooooo! So happy for you, Sheila! When the first day goes well, you know you're in for an awesome year!
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:16 pm

Sheila,

Yeah! Celebrating with you on a good first day! I'm so glad your little guy enjoyed his school. :D

It's funny how we can see, even on the first day sometime, that our other little ones just can't ride along like we thought they could. But, it's good too, as it helps us see where they are really at, and where their strengths and weaknesses really are.

Anyway, we have a similar situation at our house, with kiddos in separate programs for most things... (but are loving doing "Little Hearts...", "Bigger...", and "DITHR" for our 5 year old and 9 year old, and also have a 6th grader and 2 year old doing their own things!) :D

Blessings,
Carrie

water2wine

Post by water2wine » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:33 pm

How exciting. I think the Beyond program is one that they have to be ready to do from what I am seeing and just looking at it myself (of course it is on my shelf :lol: ) I am also trying to be very mindful that mine are ready for that. We love doing LHFHG maybe your younger child would find that to be perfect for them. The great thing about it is you do have a lot of flexibility there in how much and how fast.

Glad you are loving Beyond! We can't wait to start Beyond in our house but for now we are absolutely loving LHFHG! 8)
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Elm in NJ

Post by Elm in NJ » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:58 pm

That is so exciting. :D I hope my 1st day on Friday goes as well as yours.

Elmeryl

yayadaisy

Post by yayadaisy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks for the input ladies! I am hoping that my daugther will do better in the next few days. We all have a really bad cold right now and I wounder if that may have something to do with it. But if not I am not going to worry I think I will just get LHFHG anyways. I have three other kids younger than my daugther. So I can use it with them later. We have a homeschool convention coming up so I am going to look there to hopefully find some used books for LHFHG as we are already strapped with money and I can't just buy new.

Sheila