? About Dictation? Enlighten me!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
psreit

? About Dictation? Enlighten me!

Post by psreit » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:40 pm

I guess this is something we won't be doing for a while, but, for future reference, I am really interested in knowing about dictation. I guess I'm a little confused. On a recent post, I was reading about the parent reading something to the child and he/she would write what was said. However, I have also read where the child would tell something to the parent and the parent would write it down as it was said. So, when is each method used? I just want to be clear on this. It is bugging me. :?
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth. III John 4
Pam
dh 33 yrs
ds29 church planter in MA
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12
3 dgs(5,2, & born 6/15) & 2 dgd(3 & born 2/15)

cirons

Re: ? About Dictation? Enlighten me!

Post by cirons » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:14 pm

Dictation is when a child studies a passage and then the parent reads it out to the child for them to write down correctly.

In Preparing history, we do written narrations where the child sometimes tells the parent their narration and the parent writes it down. This is in preparation for the child narrating and writing their own. Dictation never has the child telling the parent to write something down.
Homeschooling 2 dc since Feb, 2008
Preparing with dd 9
Beyond with ds 7

tjswaine

Post by tjswaine » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:50 pm

Pam,
Here a previous thread that will be helpful.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6330&p=46256&hilit= ... ain#p46256
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

3sweeties

Post by 3sweeties » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:40 pm

What cirons said is exactly right! :D
Jessica~married to my sweetie for 21 years!
[DS17]~U.S. HISTORY 2~2019-20
[DS14]-World Geography~2019-20
[DD12]~ RTR, DITHOR 6-8~2019-20
[DS9]~Bigger~2019-20
Enjoyed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, RevtoRev, MTMM, WORLD GEOG, WORLD HIST, US HIST 1~LOVING HOD!

psreit

Post by psreit » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:48 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. I was getting them mixed up. :roll:
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:50 pm

Sometimes the word "dictate" is used when dc "dictate" their answers to a parent, the parent writes it down, and then the child copies from it. This is different from formal CM dictation, which has the child study a dictation passage, then the parent takes it away and reads the passage a phrase at a time, and the child writes it as the parent reads it. I know these 2 uses of "dictation" can be confusing - I found that confusing as well. But in CM dictation, that is the process that is followed. If you would enjoy reading more, here are some additional links, but just ignore them if this is enough information already:

Carrie explains CM Dictation:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5661
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5186
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=925

Dictation Samples:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1221
CTC Level 5 Dictation Sample:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5068&p=37153#p37153

The Appendix of HOD guides from Bigger Hearts on up includes detailed directions for doing CM dictation that are very clear, and very helpful. So when you get to that point, be sure to read those and you'll be set! :D
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

psreit

Post by psreit » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Thanks, Julie! So, I wasn't off base with this. I knew I had read about the parent writing down what the child says, and I thought the term 'dictate' was used. When someone brought up dictation in another thread, it was the child writing what the parent reads. I did read about it more and I do understand CM dictation. I'm just curious to know if the other method (child dictating answers to parent) is something included in HOD, or is that something the parent just chooses to do on an individual basis? For what reason is that implemented?
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:08 pm

The term "dictate" may also be used when students orally give their answers and parents write them down for them. This kind of "dictate" is usually used when dc need transitional help in writing skills, or when dc's struggles with spelling in their own writing prevents them from getting a good answer down on paper. So, for example, when I began DITHOR with Riley, he was not to a point where he could write on the entire DITHOR Student Notebook pages yet. To help him transition into this, he "dictated" to me his answers to the Student Notebook questions/information, and I wrote what he said in the DITHOR Student Book for him. This helped him ease into DITHOR's writing. :D I'm thinking this is where you read "dictate" used in this manner on the board. :wink:

There are occasionally times in the plans when HOD uses the word "dictate" in this manner, and then it is clear that the teacher is writing down the dc's answers for them, as Carrie always says this specifically. :D

But "Dictation Passages" that are in the Appendix and that are noted as "Dictation" in the daily LA box of Bigger Hearts plans on up are always done following the directions for Dictation in the Appendix (which means a child studies passage, parent takes it away and reads passage a phrase at a time, as child writes what parent is saying, then child checks if it's right using the passage as a key (and parent checks as well). HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

psreit

Post by psreit » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks for explaining that, Julie.
Pam
dh 33 yrs
dd27 SAH mom
dd26
dd 12