LHTH - 2yo?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TammyTE

LHTH - 2yo?

Post by TammyTE » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:24 am

So I'm considering doing LHTH with my 4yo(5 in March) and 6yo for a few months. Probably doing some of the right side of LHFHG with my 6yo. I also have my 2.5yo girl running around. I *know* including her when possible works well and makes things run smoothly as opposed to just letting her run around and do absolutely nothing. I'm wondering if I get the set that is geared more for the olders will my 2yo still be able to participate? Should I also get something more for her age? I'm wanting to start this...um...yesterday. LOL So I don't have much time to look into it, iykwim.

Thanks so much!
~Tammy - Wife to One and Mama to Five

my3sons

Re: LHTH - 2yo?

Post by my3sons » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:51 am

Well, personally I'd get the "Child's First Bible" for your 2 yo, along with "Big Thoughts for Little People". For your olders, I'd get "The New Bible in Pictures for Little Eyes", and either just use the same devotional with them, or use one of the 2 devotionals, whichever you feel more drawn to. I actually got both Bibles since we are going half-speed with LHTH, and when we first began when my ds was around 2.5 yo, we did one Bible one day, and the next Bible the next day, drawing out 1 day's plans over 2 days, but switching Bibles so we'd have a different reading each day. At first, he did much better with understanding the story from the younger Bible. Now he is almost 4 yo, and does well with the other one. LHTH is sooooo much fun! I am excited for you to begin! :D For your 6.5 yo, LHTH will be young, but I'm thinking from another post you shared you'll be doing LHFHG with right side Beyond with him? I may be off here, my memory fades as I age. :lol: Correct me if I'm wrong. :D So, starting LHTH will get him in the rhythm of doing some school, and will also let you stagger start your dc (I'm thinking your oldest has been doing Beyond, younger(s) will do LHTH, and 6.5 yo ds can then start LHFHG with right side BHFHG when you want to begin (and maybe you'll put almost 5 yo in LHFHG too ?). If 5 yo will be doing LHTH with 2 yo though, I'd get the older LHTH Bible for her benefit. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

KristinBeth

Post by KristinBeth » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:10 pm

I have a 4 and a 2, and both do LHTH together. We just completed Unit 4, so we're new to it. The twosie isn't really ready for remembering and tracing letters, but she listens to the stories, has fun with the fingerplays and music, and glues things in random places during the projects. :D We also had fun "meeting" our teddy bears ("I'm Hannah, nice to meet you") from Unit 4, after reading about how Isaac met Rebekah. Each activity is so short, I think it holds little attention spans well, and you can break it up throughout the day. I have a handful of pictures on my blog site of my twosie working on projects alongside her sister. She gives it her best.

I bought the bible for the youngers, but my 4 yo wants more so I'l read to her out of her Beginners Bible or my own NIV bible. We read Bible during breakfast so I have a captive audience. :lol: I have both devotionals, but Big Thoughts For Little People is better for the youngers. My 4 y.o. likes it too.

Best of luck to you. It's fun!
Kristin

TammyTE

Post by TammyTE » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:29 pm

Thank you both!

Yes, Julie you are remembering correctly. Although I don't know *how* you remember it all with so many newbies asking questions of you! You are such a tremendous help here:)

That was very helpful. I will probably go ahead and get the LHTH guide and books. I will use them eventually for someone right? LOL That way I can just try things out a bit and see who does well with what. At least I hope that will work!
~Tammy - Wife to One and Mama to Five