Grading

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

Grading

Post by LivinNandByHim » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:02 pm

The church related school we are looking to enroll in requires 2 grade reports each year. I know I have seen a question on here before about grading work, but I was wondering what would be a good way to keep some sort of grading system to meet this requirement ( without stressing me out, lol).

my3sons

Re: Grading

Post by my3sons » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:28 am

Oh dear, I think I am confused here :oops: - are you enrolling your dc in a private school, and if so, why would you be homeschooling and needing to turn in grade reports to them? I'm sure I am off here, but in any case, I am thinking these threads with some good ideas to help with grading may be helpful:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4822&p=35507
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5907&p=43450

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Tree House Academy

Post by Tree House Academy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:15 pm

I am resurrecting this older post because I came on tonight to ask the same question for a friend...and I think I can explain what she meant.

In TN, we have two options to homeschool. We can go through the state and be subject to their rules and regulations, or we can use a category IV umbrella school. It is usually a private, Christian academy that takes on homeschool parents as "teachers" and requires grades and attendance twice a year. I think she was asking how to grade HOD subjects in order to report to the umbrella school.

I read through the other posts here but still didn't get an answer that is going to satisfy my friend. She is really struggling with whether or not to place her kids in HOD. She wants to take a step toward this type of learning, but I really think it scares her. She comes from a ps background and her dh is very academic minded. She feels like she NEEDS something to grade in order to know their progress. I think, as she gets into HOD, she will easily see why she doesn't need tests and grades, but this is her hang-up for now. Can anyone offer any advice to help me help her.

FWIW, I am under the same cover school that she is and I just give the grades based on work effort, time spent, daily work, etc. IMO, Science and History are not about how many facts you can memorize before high school, so tests are of no use to us. She doesn't exactly agree. LOL

TIA!
~Rebecca~

ds13(8th) - Rev to Rev w/ TT Pre-Algebra, R&S English 6, CLE Reading 8, Rosetta Stone French
ds9 (4th) - Preparing Hearts, TT Math 4, R&S English 3, CLE Reading 4, & Writeshop Jr.

We have completed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, CTC, & RTR.

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:34 am

I am assuming letter grades are needed? I'll just throw out what I would do if I had to turn in letter grades. I am not sure what guides you would be in, but I would take things like narration, notebook entries, and the projects and make a general rubric to grade all of them. I would place the categories vertically and the quality horizontally. Categories for the rubric would include:
-neatness/orderliness
-accuracy
-ability to follow instructions
-completeness/thoroughness
-effort
I would make 3-4 horizontal columns(3 is probably fine) and rate them. For example, for ability to follow instructions you could have:
-correctly followed instructions throughout project (column 1)
-completed project with minimal/some deviations from instructions (column 2)
-completed/incomplete project with major deviations from instructions (column 3)

You could then say mostly 1's would be an "A", mostly 2's would be a "B" etc. (or however you would want to do it, this is the part I don't like but if it is required we gotta roll with it :) ). You could have one general rubric and just cross out any category that wouldn't apply for the particular assignment you are grading (i.e., you would cross out neatness for narration and so on). For math you could take the review sections and just randomly pick problems to grade. We are not actually in the Rod & Staff books yet, so I am not sure, but you could probably pick certain sections to grade on ability and accuracy. You could decide how many of each type of activity you want to grade a week and just have your rubrics handy. I hope that helps and gives you some ideas to work with.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC