What do you use for Phonics?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
blessedmama

What do you use for Phonics?

Post by blessedmama » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:52 pm

I was wondering what everyone uses for phonics. I used Teach Your Child to Read 100 Easy Lessons but do not know what to do beyond that. Any suggestions?
Saved by Grace,
Sara D.

Wife of DH for 13 years! Mother to my four wonderful blessings from the Lord (DD 11; DS 10; DS 9; DD 7)

tjswaine

Re: What do you use for Phonics?

Post by tjswaine » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:07 pm

The Reading Lesson and Reading Made Easy are available from HOD.
Here is a helpful link:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6032&p=44211#p44211
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

Happy2bMommyof3

Post by Happy2bMommyof3 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:42 pm

With dd, after 100 EZ lessons we went to the Dick and Jane Readers, then to the pathway readers, then the HOD ERs. I've heard that phonics is a rung on the ladder, not an end unto itself. IMO after 100 EZ they should begin to read books if the program was successful. Someone else may be able to give you better advice, but that is what worked for us and dd is now a strong reader. :D
Heather
Wife to the most hardworking man I know,
Mother to three amazing gifts from the King...
Amelia -8 - BHFHG + DITHOR
Noah - 5 - Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten
Lily - 4 -Rod and Staff Pre-K

brenm37

Post by brenm37 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:44 am

I used and am using Phonics Pathways with 2 of my daughters. We also read easy readers when they are ready, to help them get the "I am reading books" feel. My youngest is easily moving into the Grade 1 Pathway readers (a favorite at our house) after being 1/3 of the way thru Phonics Pathways. I mix it up with a lesson and reading from books, as she much prefers reading from the books than doing the lesson. I foresee moving into HOD's emerging readers next year, when she will be in 2nd grade.

We tried the Reading Lesson and it didn't work for us.
Brenda

Bramble

Post by Bramble » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:05 pm

I have tried a few different programs between my oldest 3 children. I am currently using The Reading Lesson w/ my 3rd child and we love it!! The other programs I have used: Teach American to Read and Spell, MFW K and 1, Phonics Pathways, 100 EZ (hated this personally! LOL). That's all I can think of right now.

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:44 pm

I used Phonics Pathways with my ds, and am using Reading Made Easy with my dd. I really like both. We also use Explode the Code a little.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th