Singapore struggles

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Happy2bMommyof3

Singapore struggles

Post by Happy2bMommyof3 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Have any of you had a Singapore struggler who excelled with another program? I know Singapore is spiral learning and I think I need something more concrete and repetative for dd. I wanted to get some feedback on other math programs.. (I hope this is an allowed discussion) :)
Heather
Wife to the most hardworking man I know,
Mother to three amazing gifts from the King...
Amelia -8 - BHFHG + DITHOR
Noah - 5 - Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten
Lily - 4 -Rod and Staff Pre-K

Tansy

Re: Singapore struggles

Post by Tansy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:51 pm

I think it's an ok topic :-)

My dd2 was introduced to multiplication today she was so afraid it was gonna be hard but singapore has prepared her... we did the exercises in the guide and bingo she did her 2 pages by herself :shock: when I got a phone call I couldn't miss... She said "Mom this is so not hard!"

Now on the Other Hand DD1 was in Singapore soooo did not fly with her. I moved her to Math U See that helped hugely... but now were doing a program Called Visual Math that is proprietary to the Nuro-Therapist or I'd share it here. It is basically training the child to cope step by step with each type of math problem they may encounter. But its all just coping skills. Not trying to teach math reasoning (which my child is missing). Just How to cope how to do each step by rote. Its what she needs. I also added in a Sensory approach to Math facts program (Rapid Recall) and she's gained so much confidence though this I call it Pavlov's dog program to math. its fun for her takes only 7-10 min and it turns her into a "Pavlov's dog." You give her a basic math problem and the answer pops out of her mouth involuntarily.

Math is tricky I LOVE singapore, but for my eldest it just did not work. You have to fit the math to the child that is why it is an optional part of the program. Singapore is THE BEST but not a one size fits all.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

doubleportion

Post by doubleportion » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:34 pm

What book in Singapore is your dc using?

I know math was real a struggle for my dd for a long time. We started with Singapore about 2 1/2 years ago. She hit some points when she would struggle and I wondered if it was the "program" or the child. I found that getting the Extra Practice book for the level was helpful. There was even a point where we just didn't even do Singapore for a couple weeks and just worked on Math facts. Most of the time her problems were rooted in not knowing the Math Facts well. Singapore doesn't really do much drill on Math Facts, so you have to add those in. We usually do about 5 minutes of Math drill each day. My dd is in 3B and constantly says how "easy" her math is now. She has hit a stride in it finally. But this was the girl that cried almost daily for a while with math.

I will say that Singapore does present some things differently from other programs and encourages mental math and "number bonds". We had used three other math programs before we came to Singapore. I decided to stick with it even if my dd struggled, because I wanted the consistency in presentation. I felt like my jumping programs was part of her problem, since every system presents things in a slightly different way and in different order. For us it has paid off. And I am glad we stuck it out even in the rough points.

Edie
dd 13 -Rev2Rev (enjoyed PHFHG, CTC, RTR)
ds 8 -Beyond
ds 6 LHFHG & ds 2 & ds 6 months
4 waiting for us with Jesus

Happy2bMommyof3

Post by Happy2bMommyof3 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Thanks Edie, I do hesitate to change her program... afraid of creating gaps and such, but at this point I think it may be what she needs. She is in 2B near the end and looking ahead at the 3 set which I have already purchased, I don't see it getting any easier. I am finding that I struggle with the "Singapore way" as much or more than she does. I am prayerfully considering Math U See or Making Math Meaningful. If anyone has a critique of either of these two I'd be glad to hear your thoughts!!

Thank you ladies for your input, as always it has given me much encouragement!
Heather
Wife to the most hardworking man I know,
Mother to three amazing gifts from the King...
Amelia -8 - BHFHG + DITHOR
Noah - 5 - Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten
Lily - 4 -Rod and Staff Pre-K

doubleportion

Post by doubleportion » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Happy2bMommyof3 wrote:She is in 2B near the end and looking ahead at the 3 set which I have already purchased, I don't see it getting any easier.
I remember 2B being a great struggle for my dd too. That was when we slowed down and did lots of math drill and practice sheets printed from the internet to solidify her in those areas before heading into 3. Just wanted to point out that if she is 8 (~3rd grade) and finished with 2B then she is ahead math wise. Remember Singapore is really almost a year ahead so 3A would be like first half of 4th grade math. Just wanted to point that out, in case you didn't realize it. I understand so much about math being a challenge and pray that the Lord will show you and lead you to what is the best choice for your dc.

Edie
dd 13 -Rev2Rev (enjoyed PHFHG, CTC, RTR)
ds 8 -Beyond
ds 6 LHFHG & ds 2 & ds 6 months
4 waiting for us with Jesus