Readers?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
twoxcell

Readers?

Post by twoxcell » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:38 pm

Ok so my dd(5) is doing Reading Made Easy, and we are on like lesson 31. She desperately wants to read real books, and has been reading the 5 Bob books we own over and over this week. I have the whole emergent reader set except the Bible, but she is not quite ready for those. Can anyone recommend some really easy phonics readers that I could use for her prior to the emergent readers? We also have the CLP phonics readers, which she likes.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

twoxcell

Re: Readers?

Post by twoxcell » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:56 pm

How easy is the Early Readers bible? Maybe I should just get that for her.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

Happy2bMommyof3

Post by Happy2bMommyof3 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:02 pm

My dd started with the Bob Books, then the Dick and Jane Readers, then the Rod and Staff Pathway Readers. She wouldn't have been ready to go straight from Bob Books to the Emergents (including the Beginner's Bible), but she loved the Pathway Readers...all about the farm, chores, animals, etc. R & S Readers are really affordable too!!

Hope this helps!
Heather
Wife to the most hardworking man I know,
Mother to three amazing gifts from the King...
Amelia -8 - BHFHG + DITHOR
Noah - 5 - Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten
Lily - 4 -Rod and Staff Pre-K

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks, I think I have a Dick and Jane book. I will have to look. My ds did not like to read at that age, so we pretty much just stuck to phonics lessons until he could read Little Bear, and Frog and Toad. She is so different than him :lol: ! I have to slow her down because she just wants to read, and not sound things out. She has a really good memory, but I want her to learn the phonics.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:42 pm

My kids really enjoyed reading the early readers about these cute little dogs: Howie in My First I Can Read series from Zonderkidz, Sam in the Kids Can Read series by Kids Can Press, and Biscuit in My First I Can Read series by Harper Collins. We also enjoyed the Barnabas series by Zonderkidz about a cute little bear. We were able to find some of these at our local library and others at the Christian Bookstore. We read these and then added the next level up of the I Can Read series. They each read a number of these between the Bob Books and starting the emerging readers. We really enjoyed them! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:32 pm

If you can get your hands on a used set of the LLATL Blue Book Readers, they would be a great review. My dd6 reads them alongside The Reading Lesson and she loves coloring the pictures. Another option might be Dr. Seuss Books. There are many that are very easy to read. You might just go to Barnes and Noble or the like and look at some of the Easy Readers and see what interests her.
Have Fun!
Amy

dd6 LHfHG
dd9 Preparing
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

amethyst rain

Post by amethyst rain » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:43 pm

I was going to recomend Dick and Jane and Pathway readers also. That's what we're doing. You could also just take her to the library and see what there is there. We have a rule that if you struggle with 5 words in the first few pages, you need to find a book that is better suited for you. :)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:27 pm

You've gotten some good ideas already! We did the BOB books too. There are several different sets/levels, and I think we did them all. We tried Dick and Jane, one of my sons liked them, and one didn't. If your little one can do "The Early Reader's Bible", you can slowly ease into that. That's what we did next, and then we did "The Beginner's Bible" and the rest of the ERS after that. It really filled that transition time for my dc well. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:35 pm

twoxcell,

It is very possible that your daughter could read The Early Reader's Bible, so I'd likely begin there. This Bible has questions after each very short story and a controlled vocabulary. It will last you much longer than trying to find new titles all of the time, and your little honey could simply read a new story each day. Then, if she finishes The Early Reader's Bible, you could start the Emerging Reader's Set out with The Beginner's Bible and follow the questions in the guide for that Bible. This would be an economical way to go too. :wink: We carry the Early Reader's Bible on our site in the Emerging Reader's Set category. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

twoxcell

Post by twoxcell » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Thanks for the reply Carrie :D . my sister let me borrow some easy books she own, so I think we will use those for now along with RME. I think I will go ahead and order the Early readers Bible for her for Easter. I think she will be ready for it by then. Thanks again Carrie we love your curriculum.
ds 12 RevtoRev
dd 9 Preparing
dd 7 Beyond
ds 5 Little Hearts
dd due September 20th