question about singapore math for 1st grader?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mae357

question about singapore math for 1st grader?

Post by mae357 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:47 am

We just starting with math sentences that look like 9+6= and Singapore wants the kids to group them into "10" first and then add so instead of 9+6=15 it would look like 10+5=15. This is confusing my dd and she finds it easier just to add 9+6...do I continue with the grouping of 10 first or just let her add it on her own? I'm afraid to stray to much with singapore b/c I know how much builds on the next concept.

Happy2bMommyof3

Re: question about singapore math for 1st grader?

Post by Happy2bMommyof3 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Which Singapore book is this?
Heather
Wife to the most hardworking man I know,
Mother to three amazing gifts from the King...
Amelia -8 - BHFHG + DITHOR
Noah - 5 - Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten
Lily - 4 -Rod and Staff Pre-K

mae357

Post by mae357 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:33 pm

1A

Happy2bMommyof3

Post by Happy2bMommyof3 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi, I remember having that issue as well. It confused me too!! :lol: I think I went ahead and had my dd do it the normal way and it worked out fine without causing any trouble later.

Maybe someone else can lend more wisdom?
Heather
Wife to the most hardworking man I know,
Mother to three amazing gifts from the King...
Amelia -8 - BHFHG + DITHOR
Noah - 5 - Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten
Lily - 4 -Rod and Staff Pre-K

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Good question! I think it is important to do the strategies Singapore teaches, even if they seem confusing at first. I remember when we did this strategy with our dc, and it took them a bit to get it - BUT, they use it all the time now. It becomes useful with 100's (i.e. 90 + 60 thought of as 100 + 50; 1000's (i.e. 900 + 600 thought of as 1000 + 500, etc.) This strategy also carries over in other ways to regroup for quick mental math. We just had this in decimals in 4B. For example, the problem 4.82 - 2.99 is thought of as 4.82 -3 = 1.82 + .01 = 1.83. The idea of grouping in logical ways so you can quickly mentally add or subtract (or multiply or divide) without having to use scratch paper to do so is an amazing way to learn mental math! I have to say early on in doing Singapore, I often interjected and showed the dc "my way" as opposed to the "Singapore way". I've learned not to do this. It is counter productive and confusing. Singapore comes around to the thing I was showing them too early on anyway. Often times, they just "get it mentally" rather than having to use my tips as a crutch. Based on what I've learned with Singapore thus far, I'd say it's very important to teach each of the methods described. There is nothing superfluous in Singapore. And you are right - the concepts do build on one another. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie :D
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

amethyst rain

Post by amethyst rain » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:19 am

We just went through that. Both dh and I were very confused. I agree with Julie that it is important though. We found that using an abacus helped.