perspective needed for pre k

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
georgiamomof3

perspective needed for pre k

Post by georgiamomof3 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:43 pm

This year for his prek year, our ds (4.5 years old) is working through LHTH (we started last year and didn't quite get halfway through it). We are really enjoying the program but I have worked myself into a dilemma. I currently use the guide as written, and sometimes add a few extra letter activities in ds's workboxes as extensions. We are also working through Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading. For our weekly co-op, ds will take a fun phonics class that teaches each letter with puppets, songs, stories, snacks, etc. Here's my dilemma: do I continue with HOD doing what we've been doing and do not bother with extra activities that may go along with his co-op class? Or do I start following the co-op class schedule and use it as a basis for a 'letter of the week' program and use HOD as a review so to speak? DH thinks there's no need for a more structured 'letter of the week' program and now I've turned it around in my head so much that I can't even think straight! :roll: DS recognizes most of the alphabet and remembers the letter sounds of the letters we've covered in HOD's LHTH (we're on J now). I am also teaching our 5th grade dd (finishing preparing, then on to ctc by Christmas, along with dithor) and our 1st grade ds (LHFHG). I am already using 3 programs and really don't want to add much more to my day, however, I enjoy planning and I love the idea of extending ds's co-op experiences at home during the week. I also would like to have something to read to ds each day/week without just randomly picking a book off the shelf. (I know ds doesn't care; I'm the one who needs a little more structure.) Is a letter of the week program really needed? It seems there are so many fun books to use and fun activities to do that I don't want my ds to miss out on anything. :wink: I don't want him confused with the HOD letter activities, the co-op letter activities, and the Reading book we're using. Even after reading this post, I still feel confused and am not sure I'm even making myself clear. I find I read so many blogs and find so many great ideas I end up second-guessing myself and my decisions. :oops:

Any advice or perspective would be so much appreciated!

TIA
JoAnna

Mommamo

Re: perspective needed for pre k

Post by Mommamo » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:59 am

Wow! It sounds like you've got a lot going on. If I were you, I'd just stick to LHTH and the co-op class, without trying to extend the class at home. I'm sure he'll have a lot of fun and will learn a lot in the co-op class, but he's also clearly learning a lot with LHTH, and you're also doing phonics with him, right? So I think he'll be fine with just that.

As far as your other question goes, about books to read to him, what if you just get a couple of the many wonderful children's book treasuries available? Listening to books read out loud is great and will really help prepare him for LHFHG, as I'm sure you know, since you're already doing it with another child. :D What we do is we have 3 really good treasuries of stories and one really good children's poem treasury, and we read through a story and a poem each day at the beginning of pre-school time. I just start at the beginning of the book and work my way through. We read a lot anyway, but this is getting them used to listening during school time and it also helps me to make sure them been exposed to a variety of great literature, instead of just their favorites over and over and over. :lol: It sounds like that's kind of what you're wanting, so you might give it a try. If you need some recommendations, pm me and I can let you know what our personal favorites are right now. HTH!
Momma to my 4 sweeties:
DD 14 - MTMM and DITHOR (completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, took a couple years off, and now she's back!)
DS 11 and DD 9 - Preparing(completed 2 rounds of LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, and Bigger)
DD 6 - LHFHG

pjdobro

Post by pjdobro » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:35 am

I am a little confused. :? LOL! Is it the fact that the letter of the week will be different between the co-op class and HOD? If so I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt at all to repeat what you've already done in LHTH unless you and your son just feel it is too much repetition. At that age, most dc really love repetition and so would probably welcome revisiting the material. I say all of that though having not done LHTH so take that with a grain of salt. I'm thinking though having one letter of the week instead of two might be better for you and him. I would definitely try to keep it simple as you have a lot going on and he probably doesn't need as much extra as you think.

I agree with the pp in that there are so many wonderful books out there that I would use any "extra" time you have just enjoying those books together. I was just reading a little bit in a journal I started a few years ago when my dc were in kindergarten and I was reminded of some of the wonderful books we read together cuddled up in our reading corner. Those simple days passed so quickly. :cry: Yes we still are reading wonderful books together, but it's not quite the same. Enjoy those wonderful, precious times with your little guy! :D
Patty in NC

b/g twins '02 Rev2Rev 2014/15
previously enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR
Nisi Dominus Frusta (Without God, frustration)
Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Psalm 127:1

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:15 pm

Wow. As someone who had a 4.5 YO going through LHTH last year, it sounds to me like your DS has a LOT on his plate. I think all the things you are doing are good, but I also think (as you already also implied) you should keep it simple. If you want to change and do the LHTH letter the same week as your co op I think that's probably a good idea. The reading lessons are just bonus right now, if he's ready and really wants to and you have the time, then go for it. You probably know this better than I do. I started 100 easy lessons when my DD turned 5 and she was just barely ready for it then. Now though she's doing great, she breezes through it (we're on lesson 32), and she's started reading easy reader books. This is just the difference of her being 6-8 months older.

There are a lot of great ideas out there and great things you can do. But your job, and what you need God's special wisdom for, is what is best for you and your child. I have prayed for this wisdom each year and I truly feel like God has provided it. Charlotte Mason I know felt that kids were too weighed down with lots of bookwork too young, they should have the time and freedom for creative play and imagination.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

georgiamomof3

Post by georgiamomof3 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:23 am

Thank you so much, ladies! I guess since it was so late last night I wasn't thinking or writing clearly. We have only just started school and I am still tweaking our schedule/routine big time. My little guy LOVES doing his own schoolwork and begs to have his own lessons. :D Too bad my 5th grader isn't so enthusiastic! :wink: Anyway, ds will sit for a short lesson or two then he runs off and plays while I continue working with the other two kiddos. Sometimes he comes back for more, sometimes not. He has his HOD lessons in his workboxes (he only has 6 boxes), and the 'extra' activities or extension activities I'm thinking about incorporating are really just game-like stuff he'll have fun doing. We use a lot of Lauri (foam?) toys, Melissa and Doug toys, puzzles, etc. in his boxes. He LOVES playing in the rice bucket or salt bucket, too. These are the types of 'extensions' I was talking about...not hard-core academic, structured lessons. :wink: I think my biggest cause for confusion is in whether or not to continue with the abc order in HOD or focus more on the abc order from his co-op class (which does not follow the alphabet in 'order' like HOD does). He'll never know the difference, I'm sure! :D As long as he gets playtime and mommy's attention he's just fine! :D

I'll try to get a post up once we're settled into our school routine.

JoAnna