RtR's Beautiful Girlhood

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mamanlait

RtR's Beautiful Girlhood

Post by mamanlait » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:26 pm

I decided to purchase my own copy of Beautiful Girlhood several months ago even though we are doing Preparing this year. I really felt the Lord calling me to focus a bit on correcting some of my own character issues. I was raised by very busy parents (who worked hard as business owners) but who didn't spend a lot of time in teaching me the basics as they were just not around much. I was raised by a nanny and grandparents for the most part. I guess I didn't realize what I was missing. White lies weren't scorned, modesty was never discussed, friendships were never seen for what they should have been, etc. As a young Christian in my 20's, I started my transition of trying to relearn what I had grown up thinking was okay. Anyway... I can't tell you how edifying this book has been. I am embarrassed by how many personal mistakes (relational) I have committed due to my lack of good role modeling (I'm really not criticizing my mother, just simply stating that hard working moms often can't spend the time they need to in correcting, guiding, and mentoring their children especially when the kids are spending full days at school, then sports, then home for a quick meal and bed). Btw, my mother is a kind, loving, person. She was just Very Busy at the time.

I just want to encourage any one of you who may feel they are lacking in the basic knowledge of what a "beautiful girl" or woman looks like to purchase this ahead of time (I marked mine up as a teacher's guide for when my dd's gets to RtR) and spend time in devotion and prayer as you work through it. I would like for my daughter, when she actually reads this book as an 11 or 12 year old, to say, "this seems like common sense, mom" instead of, "geez mom, you are nothing like what the book says a beautiful girl should be". :oops: I can be working little by little to pray through my failings.

Many thanks to Carrie for selecting this! ...as painful as it may be to carefully examine myself while meditating on each beautiful page.

Amy

dd9 Preparing
dd5.5 LHfHG
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

annaz

Re: RtR's Beautiful Girlhood

Post by annaz » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:29 pm

This is an excellent idea to pre read this book. I've had it from a convention, but we haven't used it yet and will when the HOD guide calls for it. But I didn't grow up with any knowledge as you mentioned either. Actually, it's rather scary to know what I wasn't told, knowing what I know now, even taking into consideration the culture changes over time.

Awesome insight.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:50 pm

I've wondered this myself...because I also grew up in a home where both parents worked and I just don't know how to accurately 'teach' my children how to be the way they should, not having that kind of background myself. I have changed A LOT over the years, but still have a ways to go. I was thinking of getting it (and the one for boys) early just to read them over, but maybe I'll get the one for myself and do that first. I'm glad to see a review on it here. :wink:

Heather4Him

Post by Heather4Him » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:04 pm

Thanks for sharing this, Amy!

I, also, got this book years ago, because it looked good, but I never read it because I realized our dd needed to be older before we read it together. But, hearing you say it's good for the mom to read ahead is a great idea! I was glad to see that HOD has it scheduled in RTR, but I may get ours out now and read ahead! :)
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
~~~~~
16yog girl
DITHOR/CTC/RTR/Rev2Rev/MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Amy,

What a wonderful idea! Thank you so much for sharing! I fully agree that I was convicted of many things about being a Godly woman when I read through Beautiful Girlhood as we selected and planned it for RTR. Even though we have all boys at our house, reading the book blessed me as a woman too. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:54 pm

I found what I believe to be the adult woman's equivalent of Beautiful Girlhood and wanted to post the name in case others might be interested in some winter reading.

It is called Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss, written in 1869. It is certainly hearty literature and nourishing for the soul. I feel very blessed to have happened upon it. I know it's been around for many years (141 to be exact :D ) but for those of you who haven't heard about it, it's worth the search.

God Bless,

Amy

dd9 Preparing
dd6 LHfHG
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Amy,

I fully agree! Stepping Heavenward is my all-time favorite book. :D After reading it several years ago I loved it so much that I gave copies of it as a Christmas present to my sisters, my mother-in-law, and my mother. All of them were so blessed by it! My older sister passed it on to her daughter, my mother-in-law passed it along to her daughter, my mother shared it with her ladies' Bible study group, and my younger sister is reading it again right now for Christmas. :D For those of you who haven't read it, it is well worth getting a copy. :D We fully intend to plan this in a future guide at some point for young women to read!

Blessings,
Carrie

blessedmomof4

Post by blessedmomof4 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Thanks for posting! I am very excited-I own a copy of Stepping Heavenward and it is one of the best things I have ever read . :) Nice to know Beautiful Girlhood can be compared to it. I truly want to do RtR with my middle daughter, who will be 13 soon, and I already had the feeling that Beautiful Girlhood would be a highlight of the year. I hope to have my other two girls join in as well. I was a very "busy" mom for a time, and I look forward to an opportunity to grow with my girls. :D I grew up with a sickly mom and two older brothers, so I also feel I missed a lot of learning in my life-I thank God for oppotunities such as these.
Lourdes
Wife to Danforth
2 grads 9/19/92,7/8/95
2 in charter school 1/31/98, 9/19/99
3 in Heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, 9/13/13
Future HODie is here! 9/14/12

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:59 pm

Carrie,

My heart is jumping for joy that you intend to include this book in a HOD guide at some point. I have your same enthusiasm for the book, obviously. :D Many, many thanks for the time and prayer you put into these guides.

Amy
Currently:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:11 pm

I'm on the last 10 pages of reading "Stepping Heavenward" for a second time - it is wonderful! I read it about 5 years ago, and it was one of those books that truly impacted my outlook on life. I recommend it to anyone and everyone. I also wanted to say that on the reverse side - I have loved reading "Boyhood and Beyond" with my ds, and have even gotten an extra copy for my dh to read at his leisure. I feel somewhat inadequate about teaching my sons to be Christian men, as I grew up in a home with all sisters, though my dad is an amazing Christian man. My dh didn't have that role model, so anything he reads from it is helpful too.

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Happy2bMommyof3

Post by Happy2bMommyof3 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:28 am

Might I also recommend any book by Susan Hunt? Most particularly True Woman. Susan wrote ABC Bible verses which is included in LHTH and has written numerous books on Biblical Womanhood. She leads our ladies' Bible study at my church and is a very wise and godly lady. I too grew up without a godly female role model and I have learned so much from Susan! I would also recommend Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.
Definitely looking forward to Beautiful Girlhood now as well. Thanks!
Heather
Wife to the most hardworking man I know,
Mother to three amazing gifts from the King...
Amelia -8 - BHFHG + DITHOR
Noah - 5 - Christian Liberty Press Kindergarten
Lily - 4 -Rod and Staff Pre-K

striving2Bprov31

Post by striving2Bprov31 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:33 am

Thank you, Amy, for your honesty!! You are so right about moms sometimes too busy to teach what is reflected in Beautiful Girlhood. I can't wait to read it. My mom didn't work, but I can mirror your childhood experience!! When the mothers don't teach their daughters in this way, young ladies may automatically copy the world!!! I feel convicted also to grow in this area so that I can be an example to my daughter.....

Thanks for sharing!

LivinNandByHim

Stepping Heavenward

Post by LivinNandByHim » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:28 am

I am so glad to have found the title and authoress of this book, Stepping Heavenward. I truly enjoyed this book as a young adult before I married and (probably 15 +/- years later) I still remember passages from this book. The Lord used its message years in advance of the loss of my first baby to begin to prepare me to put my faith in Him and trust Him. In the story, Katherine loses a child, and she and her husband continue to have faith and rely on their faith in God during this time. I remember thinking, I know God, but I could never endure such a loss with that kind of faith.... Many years later, my precious Heavenly Father allowed my first baby to go to be with Him at 5 months of pregnancy. He gently prepared me for this loss in so many different ways that I did not see at the time until in the moments after... I found that He truly is peace in the midst of the storm. More than words on a page, my living and present Help in time of trouble sustained my heart, my emotions, my mind, and my faith before, through, and after this time. His sweet presence surrounded me for 3 days in a way I never have experienced before or after. And, although it would have been joyous to keep my little Mia Leilani, had she stayed with us, I would not have experienced the love and wisdom of my Saviour in such a way. I would not have realized the working of His hand and His thoughts toward me, not in a moment of time, but over years working out a plan and a testimony in my life, that I might know Him and be a witness for Him. Yes, I grieved, but even in my grief, I knew He was with me and I was comforted. This experience happened nearly 11 years ago, and after reading this thread and typing out this reply, my heart is so encouraged to know that while I feel like I am in a dry place in my faith, my Lord's hand and His thoughts are toward me, and He is leading me in paths that will cause me to know Him and be a witness for Him. I had other difficult experiences with pregnancies, but the Lord graciously has given me my two beautiful children through it all. They are healthy and strong at this time in their lives.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:55 pm

What a wonderful testimony! Thank you so much for sharing from your heart with us. :D

Blessings,
Carrie