Julie or others-Beyond Timeline?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
John'smom

Julie or others-Beyond Timeline?

Post by John'smom » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:50 pm

Just wondering what size of paper you used to make your timeline for Beyond? Thanks so much for the info.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

jenntracy

Re: Julie or others-Beyond Timeline?

Post by jenntracy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:15 am

We have just started ours on a regular 8 x 11 sheet of copy paper.
It is what we have most abundantly and I don't see why it wouldn't work. Might be nice if on stiffer paper.

Jenn
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:33 am

We've done Beyond twice... the first time I did a plain sheet of printer paper and separated it into the different blocks.... Jayden couldn't really do it well in there...

The second time through with her I did each year on a separate piece of printer paper and put them in a row on the wall... she had more room to write/draw like that and she could more easily see how the events happened over time.

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:35 am

I taped some banner paper together and ended up with a paper about 22 x 17 inches. I then divided it according to the directions. My boxes are about 3 1/4 x 2 1/2 inches. I have to admit we are cheating, ds draws the pictures and colors them on a normal piece of paper then I scan it smaller and we cut it out and tape in on the square. Seems easier for him to do it that way.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:43 am

Hi John'smom! :D Here is how we did Riley's Beyond Timeline:

Beyond Timeline (photobucket link)

I bet you are getting excited to start Beyond. Our school year start is just around the corner too, and I'm getting excited, but also wondering how I'm going to get done all I thought I would with non-school-related projects before we start (mainly things to do with the house). Sometimes it's a blessing just to start though, as those house-related things could never truly have an end. :wink: I hope you have a great start!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:45 am

We use regular printer paper. So far ds seems to handle drawing and writing okay in the boxes, though I did have to show him how to write it a bit smaller or go down to the next line to start bigger words (like Augustine in St. Augustine).

MistyP

Post by MistyP » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:41 pm

Highjack here :D We are starting Beyond on Monday with a 1st grader and 2nd grader. Should we do a timeline for each one or can they do a timeline together??? I'm thinking together but wondering if there would be a good reason to have their own.

Thanks!
Misty
Mommy to 6!

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:28 pm

It would probably be more fun for them to each have their own. My two, each have their own, and they enjoy drawing their own little picture and labeling it.

~Lisa

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:07 am

Thanks for all the info, ladies.

Misty, I'm doing Beyond with two and I'm having them each do their own timelines. They won't be HUGE or anything, so I personally think it will allow them to take personal ownership over it therefore wanting to show others and talk about it which only helps the dates stick in their heads better. KWIM? Plus you can save them as a keepsake for each dc. :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

frankesense

Post by frankesense » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Last year, I was doing Beyond with three children. They each had their own timeline. They were each able to draw their own pics in each box and write in the date and title. It helped them to better retain the info when they were each doing it themselves.
Wife to the most awesome man for 18 years
Mother to ds - 15 yrs. and dd - 13 yrs.
using World Geography