beefing for 7th grade

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

beefing for 7th grade

Post by LivinNandByHim » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:40 am

Sigh...... I've wrestled with the catalog and the budget and the possibility of having a total of 3 children to place with the least amount of cost. 9 yo (4th grade) who would best fit into Bigger. 10 yo (11 in Dec.) (5th grade) strong in Math and lesser in grammar. Probably could do Bigger with extensions and higher math. and finally, 12 yo entering 7th grade who is very bright and fast learner. For the latter two children, this may be their only year of hs. My problem is getting the 12 yo fitted for curriculum. Is it possible to fit the 3 into the same program??? possibly Preparing with elements from CTC ( or any other sources / supplements )for 12 yo???? Preparing for 9 yo on one side and other side from Bigger at slower speed?? This would be my first attempt at this type of hs'ing / did 1 year with ACE for 9 yo and it wasn't that great. Ideas?? Don't want 9 yo left behind or 12 yo to end up being behind going back to PS. (temporary custody situation) Not as worried about 10 yo, he will fall in there in between / along side one or the other.

I know this is a complicated question. Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

beverett

Re: beefing for 7th grade

Post by beverett » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:26 am

Hello, I just wanted to share my opinion( or 2 cents)... I am going to be using Hod for the first time this comming year, but have homeschooled for about eight years. I will have 4 kids in hod next year. I am thinking that you should first look at the placement chart for the 9 year old, and you may have already done that ( is that how you decided on bigger?). If he really fits into bigger then I bet your 5th grader would also do great in bigger with the extension package. Then you could use the library to find readers age appropriate for your 7th grader. Then you could just make sure the 7th grader is doing grade level math and laguage arts. I guess if it were me then i would do another L.A. and definately do a different math besides singapore. You could use ace like before or switched on schoolhouse. I know you said you were not fond of the ace but with the idea that they would go to public school, these are easy options and grade level appropriate for ps. Singapore math comes from the country of Singapore, and their scope and sequence is pretty different than ours in the U.S. Anyway these are just my thoughts :D I am praying for you as you decide!!!
Brandi
Blessed with an amazing hubby and6 beautiful boys
DS-graduated!
DS-8th Rev to Rev
DS-6th RTR
DS-3rd Bigger
DS- 5yo LHTH

DS- 1yo future HODie

my3sons

Re: beefing for 7th grade

Post by my3sons » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:46 pm

I just read your other post about your 9 yo, so I'm thinking the 9 you and 10 yo could do Bigger together, with extensions for 10 yo. I'd love to hear about your 12 yo with the placement chart in mind. I am thinking it would be way easier to just have your 12 yo do an older HOD program, than try to beef up enough from the youngers' program. I did CTC last year, and my teaching time was around an hour to an hour and a half. That was with a 10 yo, so I can imagine a 12 yo would be even more independent. :wink: When you get a chance, could you share a tad about your 12 yo with the placement chart in mind? I think we can give better advice then. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie