Newbie Placement Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mom24boys

Newbie Placement Question

Post by mom24boys » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:33 am

I'm very excited that we will be homeschooling for the first time in the Fall. We prayed about it last year, but didn't have a peace about it. Now, God is calling us to give it a try. I really want for us to have fun and learn/grow together so that everyone will be excited about doing it again next year. I don't want to overdo it (which I have a tendency to do) which is why I am so glad to have found HOD. I have 4 boys (ds6.5, ds5, ds2.5, and ds0) but will only be homeschooling the oldest two.

DS6.5 went to public school for Kindergarten, is a good reader (can read Frog and Toad), and is a compliant-pleaser type. DS5 will be entering Kindergarten this year. He can read Bob books and is starting on Biscuit books now (but needs help). According to the chart, ds5 should be in LHFHG as he knows his letters, their sounds, and enjoys writing (even though he's a lefty). According to the chart, ds6.5 is a good fit for Beyond.

My first question is should I just do both programs separately or can I combine both on the left hand side (plus storytime) into LHFHG? Then, on the right side I will do LHFHG for ds5 (phonics, math, and fine motor skills) and Beyond for ds6.5 (LA, math, emerging readers). If I do the partial combine, how much time should I expect it to take? If I do them completely separately I assume it takes about 1.5 hours each +/- some. I would like to combine if that is a reasonable thing to do but I don't want to cheat ds6.5 if he should have all of Beyond.

If I combine on the left, do I order both LHFHG science options since I am doing K and 1st? Do I order both LHFHG fine motor skills options and let them each do their own?

Thanks for all of your help/advice. Just trying to figure out what to order. Looking forward to my first box day ever!
Cyndi
dh of 18 years
ds15: WG
ds13: MTMM
ds11: CTC
ds9: Bigger

tjswaine

Re: Newbie Placement Question

Post by tjswaine » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:06 pm

If you want to combine the left side of LHFHG plus storytime, I think it would work fine based on the ages of your boys. I used the left side of LHFHG with my 6/7 year old for the 09-10 school year and it was a perfect introduction year to homeschooling.

I would purchase both sets of the fine motor skills books. I'm only guessing here, but I would think you would be fine using just one of the sciences (I would lean toward the K book). You can always add in some library books for your older ds if he wants more science. I think 2 - 2.5 hours would give you plenty of time each day.

Have a fabulous box day! :D
In Him,
{Jess}
2012-2013:
Logan ds {10} ~ Preparing, SM 4A, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Connor ds {8} ~ Preparing. SM 2B, DGP, McGuffey, etc.
Charlene dd {4} ~ The Reading Lesson, SM Earlybird, C-rods, Verbal Math Lesson, etc.
Evan ds {1}
Quinn dd {0}

jenntracy

Post by jenntracy » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:19 pm

I agree with what has been said.
If i had been starting HOD for the first time , i would have tried to combine my now 6.5 yr old and 5 yr old into one guide. (also have a 2 yr old tagging along)
Alas, i started my son from the beginnning with HOD and can't really have my 5 yrold just jump up to Beyond this coming year with him.
She is right on the LHFHG guideand he has one more week to go in it!
That being said, if you wanted you could keep your kids seperate,too.
I don't ever think it took more than 1.5 hours to do LHFHG.
I am looking forward to keeping my kids in seperate programs, because it will work out for the kids better than trying to tweek everything.
I think you could probably combine easily with what you have said about your children.

Welcome!
Mom to 4 Blessings
DS 14.5 yrs World Geography
DD 13 yrs MTMM
DD 10 yrs CTC
DS 7 yrs Bigger

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:04 pm

mom24boys wrote:...can I combine both on the left hand side (plus storytime) into LHFHG? Then, on the right side I will do LHFHG for ds5 (phonics, math, and fine motor skills) and Beyond for ds6.5 (LA, math, emerging readers).
You've done your homework! :D You've done a good job of researching HOD, and as you can see, the above placement you suggested is exactly what these wise ladies who helped concurred with, and this is exactly the placement I would suggest you do too. :D
mom24boys wrote:If I do the partial combine, how much time should I expect it to take? If I do them completely separately I assume it takes about 1.5 hours each +/- some. I would like to combine if that is a reasonable thing to do but I don't want to cheat ds6.5 if he should have all of Beyond.
LHFHG took us about 1 1/2 hours to do, adding on the LA/math from Beyond for your ds, I'd guess you'd be around 2 hours. I don't think ds will be cheated out of anything doing LHFHG. He's in the target age range for it, his LA and math will be appropriately upped for his abilities by using Beyond for those subject areas, and LHFHG is a joy to teach and to learn from! :D
mom24boys wrote:If I combine on the left, do I order both LHFHG science options since I am doing K and 1st? Do I order both LHFHG fine motor skills options and let them each do their own?
I actually bought both, and I liked the "K" for a silly reason probably. It's the one planned in the 2 page daily spread of plans. I know, not such a big thing, but since both the K and the 1st books were similar and both good books to use, I ended up just using the "K" book because of its location in the guide. You can really choose either K or 1, but I just thought I'd share that. :D

It's so nice to "meet" you here, and I'm glad you've found HOD! :D This board is full of encouraging ladies who love the Lord, and HOD is a blessing to use - welcome to the board here, and I look forward to getting to know you. :)

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

mom24boys

Post by mom24boys » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:50 pm

Thanks so much for the replies/input. I think I'll just go ahead and combine the 2 for LHFHG and do the LA, Reading, & math from Beyond for ds6.5. If that is the case, what do I need to order from Beyond to do those 3 blocks? In the 1st week sample it shows that the LA uses the poem "The Storm". Does that mean that the LA box will reference other books beside just the guide/TM? Do I need to buy all of the Beyond economy pack? That's fine if that's what I need to do, but I was just trying to spread the budget out over both years (instead of frontloading everything into this year).

I think I just need:
1. The Beyond Guide/TM
2. The emerging readers set
3. Math of my choice.

Thanks for your help!
Cyndi :P
Cyndi
dh of 18 years

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:03 pm

mom24boys wrote:Thanks so much for the replies/input. I think I'll just go ahead and combine the 2 for LHFHG and do the LA, Reading, & math from Beyond for ds6.5. If that is the case, what do I need to order from Beyond to do those 3 blocks? In the 1st week sample it shows that the LA uses the poem "The Storm". Does that mean that the LA box will reference other books beside just the guide/TM? Do I need to buy all of the Beyond economy pack? That's fine if that's what I need to do, but I was just trying to spread the budget out over both years (instead of frontloading everything into this year).

I think I just need:
1. The Beyond Guide/TM
2. The emerging readers set
3. Math of my choice.

Thanks for your help!
Cyndi :P
Yes, your list looks right on track! :D The spelling is right in the Beyond Appendix, and the grammar is on Day 5 of Language Arts box daily plans - so you're set there. The LHFHG Storytime will be very appropriate for both of your dc. Even though both of my dc were reading quite well on their own when we began LHFHG, we found LHFHG's Storytime oral questions to be a great way to strengthen comprehension skills (as well as listening skills :wink: ). As far as the poetry copywork in Beyond, the poems are included in Beyond's Appendix. However, the poetry in the younger HOD guides links to the history, so you may want to wait on doing that until the next year when you are doing Beyond's history. For copywork, we had my ds copy his Bible verse, and we also had him do "A Reason for Handwriting A", just to continue strengthening those fine motor skills. However, whether you use the poetry for him this year or next year is totally your call. HTH, and I think you are on your way to a super plan for your family using HOD!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Cyndi,

The ladies have done a great job of talking through your options with you, so I'll just pop-in to welcome you! We're glad you're here. :D

If you have other questions, ask away. We're glad to help! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

gratefulmama

Post by gratefulmama » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:42 pm

Cyndi,
Welcome to HOD :!: I think you will LOVE it :!:

Your plan is exactly what I am doing with my boys who sound just like yours and are the same ages too. We started in Feb, and are on summer break right now but I just wanted to let you know that this plan works really well! It usually takes us around 2hrs.

We LOVE HOD :!: :!: I look forward to "seeing" you here :)

Blessings,
Victoria
Wife to my hero for 17 yrs
Blessed to be a mom through the beautiful gift of adoption 4x!
DS (10/03) CTC, DITHOR
DS (5/05) CTC, DITHOR
DD (5/08) LHFHG
DD (02/11)

inHistiming

Post by inHistiming » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:02 pm

I believe the time increments are supposed to be about two hours for Beyond, and one hour for LHFHG, so a total of three hours if you did ALL of both programs separately. Therefore, if you combine any of it your time should be reduced. I think either way would work for you, but if at all possible I would lean toward combining...especially since you have two more little ones coming up that you'll need to have programs for eventually. :wink: Oh, and welcome to the HOD board! :D

mom24boys

Post by mom24boys » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:34 am

Thanks so much for the input and encouragement. I got my box yesterday! Yay! Very exciting. :lol: I have everything, but now I have to wait until August. DH has already started teaching them math in the evenings and will continue to do that throughout the year. (He's a math major and wants to be involved, yay!) I was just going to try to do some reading with ds6.5 and phonics with ds5 this summer and then start HOD with the new school year.

Thanks again!
Cyndi
dh of 18 years

sw1ssm1ss

Post by sw1ssm1ss » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:07 pm

I'm excited for you! We just finished LHFHG and it's a great program. I think the storytime and history in it are very interesting and will be enjoyable for both of your sons. Enjoy!
Married to beloved dh for 11 years
DD7 - Beyond
DS4.5 - all boy :)
DD2 - sweet, petite toddler fun

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:50 pm

mom24boys,

I'm so glad that you have your books in hand and that you'll be ready to go after your summer break! :D We pray that the LHFHG/Beyond combo. will be the right fit for your family. We look forward to traveling the HOD road with you! :D

Blessings,
Carrie