semester breakdown

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
LivinNandByHim

semester breakdown

Post by LivinNandByHim » Thu May 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Reading some earlier posts and hoping to get the books / materials broken down into semester type divisions. At this point have added my niece and nephew to our family. If things do not change during the summer, the temporary custody may be extended. This darling niece is desperately in need of a "coming aside" to be nurtured in the things of the Lord. She is 12 going on 16. That is enough about that. so, considering that I will have four children ages 5 LHFHG; a 9 and 10 yo (4th and 5th grades this fall ) for PHFHG; and a 12 yo for CTC......

Anybody got a breakdown for book buying? I read the post Mike and Carrie put about the "laborer being worthy of his hire" and was nudged to do my best to support them and get materials as much as possible from them. (my own personal conviction, not trying to speak negatively towards myself or others who may need to use the library, etc. etc. etc.)

thank you for your answers.

paula

John'smom

Re: semester breakdown

Post by John'smom » Fri May 21, 2010 10:25 am

Paula,
I can't help with the semester breakdown. I hope you get the answer to your original question but wanted to say I was praying for you as you minister to your niece and nephew.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

LivinNandByHim

Post by LivinNandByHim » Fri May 21, 2010 11:28 am

Thank you so much for prayers. They mean so much!!!! God is soooo good! And He can make all things possible.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Fri May 21, 2010 12:10 pm

LivinNandByHim wrote:Reading some earlier posts and hoping to get the books / materials broken down into semester type divisions. At this point have added my niece and nephew to our family. If things do not change during the summer, the temporary custody may be extended. This darling niece is desperately in need of a "coming aside" to be nurtured in the things of the Lord. She is 12 going on 16. That is enough about that. so, considering that I will have four children ages 5 LHFHG; a 9 and 10 yo (4th and 5th grades this fall ) for PHFHG; and a 12 yo for CTC......

Anybody got a breakdown for book buying? I read the post Mike and Carrie put about the "laborer being worthy of his hire" and was nudged to do my best to support them and get materials as much as possible from them. (my own personal conviction, not trying to speak negatively towards myself or others who may need to use the library, etc. etc. etc.)

thank you for your answers.

paula
God bless you - I'd be glad to help you with this! :D Would you like a breakdown of the things you most need for the year, and how to economize with those? Or, would it be most helpful to have a breakdown of how you could buy materials in different spurts - like what you'd need for the first 3 months, the next 3 months, etc. or the first half of the year, the second half? We can all help figure that out either way, whatever would be most helpful. :D :D :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

LivinNandByHim

Post by LivinNandByHim » Fri May 21, 2010 1:34 pm

quarterly would be great.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat May 22, 2010 1:04 pm

First 9 weeks of CTC:
CTC Manual
CTC Notebooking Pages
The Story of the Ancient World (reading about history box)
What in the World? CD's (independent history box)
Genesis Finding Our Roots (Bible Study box)
A Child's Geography Vol. II (Geography box)
*Dinosaurs of Eden, The Golden Bull, Boy of the Pyramids, Jashub's Journal (if doing History set for Storytime), OR...
*A Biography, An Adventure, and An Historical Fiction book (from either the Boy or Girl set for Storytime or your own)
Illustrated Family Bible (or your own Bible)
Phil. 2 CD (optional)
Drawn into the Heart of Reading Teacher's Guide and Student Book (may stagger start this and begin 2nd. quarter)
Either R & S English 4 or 5 (or a grammar of your choice)
Write with the Best Vol. 1 (LA box writing program)
1 Semester of Singapore Math textbook/workbook
Land Animals of the 6th. Day (science)

First 9 weeks of PHFHG:
PHFHG Teacher's Guide
Grandpa's Box, Life in the Great Ice Age, A Child's History of the World, (reading about history box)
The True Story of Noah's Ark, Tirzah, Life in the Great Ice Age - this title is used in 2 boxes, Aesop's Fables (Storytime box)
Draw and Write Through History, Noah's Ark Noah's Flood, The 5000 Year Old Puzzle, The Trojan Horse (independent history box)
Lead Me to the Rock CD (optional)
Drawn into the Heart of Reading Teacher's Guide and Student Book (may stagger start this and begin 2nd. quarter)
Either R & S English 3 or 4 (or a grammar of your choice)
1 Semester of Singapore Math textbook/workbook
One Small Square: Arctic Tundra, One Small Square: Cactus Desert (science)

First 9 weeks of LHFHG:
LHFHG Teacher's Guide
History for Little Pilgrims (reading about history box)
Family Time Bible or your own Bible (reading about history box)
The World God Made (science box)
Devotions for the Children's Hour (Bible Study box, optional)
Hide 'Em in Your Heart CD (corresponding music box, optional, used daily )
Do It Carefully OR Thinking Skills Gr. 1, AND a Handwriting (fine motor skills box)
The Adventures of Reddy Fox, Adventures of Peter Cottontail (Storytime set - only sold as a set)
Reading Made Easy OR Reading Lesson OR phonics of own choice
Earlybird Kindergarten Math 2A OR Primary Math 1A OR math of your choice

I hope that helps! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

LivinNandByHim

Post by LivinNandByHim » Sat May 22, 2010 10:42 pm

i know that took some effort for you to put together out of your busy schedule. God bless you and thank you so much!

Tansy

Post by Tansy » Sun May 23, 2010 9:05 am

Paula,
I want to say bless you for taking in the kiddos, You may find your kids may regress with the addition of "others" into your family circle. So don't be surprised if it seems like you are treading water in school. your family is having a disruption in the birth order. Suddenly the cousin is now a big sister, to kids who never had a big sister. And Mom is spending a lot of time with her cause she needs it desperately.
Here is a book suggestion (As if you don't have enough to do) Brothers and Sisters in Adoption: Helping Children Navigate Relationships When New Kids Join the Family Author: Arleta M James

I just remeber how tough it was on my daughter when "little sister" was here to stay really sunk in.
Huggles!
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫
Dyslexics of the world Untie!
Adoptive Mom to 2 girls
http://gardenforsara.blogspot.com/
♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫•*¨*•.¸❤¸.•*¨*•♪♫

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun May 23, 2010 11:34 am

Paula,

I am lifting you up in prayer as you homeschool these precious dc. I know the Lord will equip you to do this, as you are choosing to do this in such a Godly way. Whenever we are doing something with Christ at the center, this ultimately glorifies Him. Since this is what we were in fact created to do, I believe He blesses that. Your choosing to mother your niece and nephew, and choosing to homeschool your dc and them with HOD (which keeps Christ at the center) is glorifying the Lord. This is a high calling! I think it's so important for us as mothers to know that this is a portion of our Godly purpose in life. It is something He calls us to do and therefore equips us to do well. I am so encouraged by your choices today, and I pray that the Lord will bless you and keep you in this important calling! He is good and faithful - praise be to God! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

LivinNandByHim

Post by LivinNandByHim » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:21 am

thank you all so much for your encouragement. the Lord's precious will be done for His glory.