Not sure about extensions for CTC

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Shawna

Not sure about extensions for CTC

Post by Shawna » Sat May 15, 2010 8:18 pm

I am doing CTC with my 11 yo this next year...I just realized something as I was going through the book lists...when the option on the package pages comes up for boy interest, girl interest and so on, the next one is the extension...should I do both? or just the extension package (he will be 6th grade)...I don't mind ordering both sets, the history and the extension,,,,just wasnt too clear on what I needed to do. Thanks!!
Shawna
Wife of 18 years to Best Friend Mike
Proud mamma to:
DS16~ Fast becoming a Young Man of God-most Responsible teen I know- Tech dude
DS13~ aka The Professor--Resident LEGO engineer-movie maker
DD9~Ballet dancer..Little Mother Hen---my artist

eazbnsmom

Re: Not sure about extensions for CTC

Post by eazbnsmom » Sun May 16, 2010 3:25 am

Shawna,

I just used CTC this year with my 11yo dd/6th grader without the extensions and it was fine. I did use the history option for Storytime and the Girl option for DITHOR (well intended to, but we didn't get around to DITHOR much). I would say that the extensions are not necessary for that age, but if your child is a strong reader and would like the extra then go ahead. Just my .02 :D
Kay in PA

Mom to dd12, dd11, ds9, ds7 & ds3 1/2

BHFHG with dss 7&9 and dd11

Shawna

Post by Shawna » Sun May 16, 2010 11:12 am

Thanks Kay...I was thinking about starting without it and seeing how it went...we have some of the other set anyway...if we needed to add on the extension package I can do it later.
Proud mamma to:

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun May 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Generally HOD suggests dc ages 12-13 do the CTC extension. Since your child is only 11, and also since it is your child's first year doing HOD, you really don't need the extension. We really enjoyed the History Interest Set for Storytime, so I'll throw out a praise for that. CTC is wonderful to teach. I'm so glad you get to do it! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

Shawna

Post by Shawna » Sun May 16, 2010 9:57 pm

alrighty then! I will stick with the History list and not worry about the extensions!! I knew y'all would know what to do! I should be getting my stuff in soon!! Hopefully Wed or Thrs....I will be so happy to get my hands on it....I am sure you will feel my smile all the way wherever you are! LOL
Proud mamma to: