buying ahead wwyd?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
khbmom

buying ahead wwyd?

Post by khbmom » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:14 pm

I've been thinking about what I need for my youngest for fall (he's 4). As part of that I was wondering if I should buy the Singapore workbooks ahead to have on hand, and had decided that it would probably be ok not to, but then I searched the board. After searching posts I saw that Singapore was changing (has changed) the K math, I am thinking that IF I can still get the workbooks for K then I should and put them away for my youngest. I am also wondering if I should get workbooks to put up for 1A/1B and 2A/2B. WWYD? The workbooks aren't very pricey, so I can work it into the budget this year.

(I have LHFHG, purchased in 2008, so I think it uses the original Singapore Earlybird math. The year we did LHFHG, I used Singapore 1A/1B with activities in Beyond, so I haven't seen the earlybird math.)

What do you think?

Thanks Ladies,
Amanda

Christi in Ohio

Re: buying ahead wwyd?

Post by Christi in Ohio » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:24 pm

I don't really like to buy ahead. Unless I really don't think I'll ever find the item. We don't know what is in store for us tomorrow. I try to just keep the focus on today and what I need now. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Blessings,
Christi
DS1(17) - Private high school
DD(12) blessed with down syndrome
DS2(7) - Sonlight Core B
DD2(4.5) - just enjoying life tagging on where she can

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:25 pm

I'd get the Earlybird Math 2A/2B for LHFHG and call it good. :D Those are hard to find, but HOD planned ahead and has a good supply of them. They are excellent, especially when paired with HOD's hands-on activities in the LHFHG guide. I wouldn't worry about getting the 1A/1B, etc. levels yet, as those are not OOP. HTH! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

pamh

Post by pamh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi ladies,

Just saw the post and I'm an early planner too! Is Singapore changing their math program and that's why you're wanting to buy the books now????

Blessings,
Pam

eachlee

Post by eachlee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:04 pm

I emailed Carrie/Mike about this when I was first looking a HOD and was confused as the only place that I could find selling the 2A/B books was HOD. The reply email said "You are correct, the Earlybird Singapore Math is out of print. We did, however, buy up their remaining stock that should last us through about June/July. Once they are gone, then we will be adding a new math book into Little Hearts."

So rather than buying ahead I am waiting and buying whatever they are offering as I would need it for each child. SInce the guide will be changed to accommodate a new math book I don't see the rush. (And then if I am lead away from Singapore's math program I'm not left with some oop books that are hard to resell...)

Just what I'm planning for my family... :D

Nancy
Nancy, mom to 3
DS6 - LHFHG, ER and BLHFHG Spelling
DD5 - LHFHG
DS3 - My little climber

We have also loved using LHTH!

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Ladies,

I'll just pop-in to update you on the Earlybird Kindergarten Math status. At this point in time, even though the Earlybird Kindergarten Math is out-orf-print to the general public, Singapore continues to sell the Earlybird Kindergarten Math to us in very large print runs, as a part of our company's partnership with Singapore Math. We will have stock of this product into 2011 and may continue to be able to stock and carry it into 2012 as well. We are pleased with the current arrangement and will leave the math plans unchanged in LHFGH until we are no longer able to get the Earlybird Math. At this point in time, Singapore Math has no plans to discontinue the Primary U.S. versions of the other math levels (from 1A-6B), which is the version we schedule within our guides. So, we plan to continue with our math plans as written. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

ncmomof5

Post by ncmomof5 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Thanks for the update, Carrie! I was wondering about that, too. Glad we can look forward to being able to purchase the Earlybird Kindergarten books for awhile longer. :)
2013 - 2014
15 yo dd -- MTMM
13 yo ds -- MTMM
12 yo ds -- finish PHFHG/CTC
9 yo ds -- finish BLHFHG/BHFHG
5.5 yo dd -- LHFHG

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Matthew 6:32